QM2 carry on bags

carolina-cruiser

As first time cruisers I know that we need a carry on bag/necessities for embarkation, but what does one do with that bag while waiting on access to our cabin? I searched previous threads but got no definitive information.
In my experience, and as others have said above, there is no waiting; you'll board the ship and your cabin will be ready for you.

Have a great time on board, have a superb voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

For the first time ever my cabin was not ready when I boarded QE in December. I went to the Lido for lunch, the only downside was the number of bags about, but these did not cause any problems.

...why so many people burden themselves with 'Carry-On'.

Exactly what does one need to keep about one's person at all times?

1. Documents. 2.medication 3. Valuables e.g. jewellery camera stuff like that. All of which can be contained in a small shoulder bag, (mens' as well as ladies').Maybe not the camera but you get the picture (Pun alert)

There is of course the obligatory gallon of water in case of severe dehydration between the terminal entrance and the nearest tap.

But each trip I make the amount of luggage being carted around the terminal seems to increase. Roll-ons, suit-carriers, duffle bags of enormous size. People with walking sticks and mobility aids make their already difficult life a lot harder by toting all this stuff with them. Each to his/her own but it is a puzzle why people insist on lugging all this stuff about all the time. Plus, most of these bits of luggage have to be opened and inspected by security thus slowing down the boarding process greatly.

Just asking'

MM

...why so many people burden themselves with 'Carry-On'.Exactly what does one need to keep about one's person at all times? 1. Documents. 2.medication 3. Valuables e.g. jewellery camera stuff like that. All of which can be contained in a small shoulder bag, (mens' as well as ladies').Maybe not the camera but you get the picture ... Each to his/her own but it is a puzzle why people insist on lugging all this stuff about all the time. Plus, most of these bits of luggage have to be opened and inspected by security thus slowing down the boarding process greatly. Just asking' MM
Someone I know boards each time carrying nothing. Tickets, passport, money in a wallet, in a pocket. Simples :) .

Me? I have one small "flight" bag containing documents etc, and camera.

I have to agree with you, when I've seen what some passengers lug into the terminal building, I wonder what they had left over to give to the porters outside...

Like Host Hattie, I've never had my bag opened yet.

I have never had carry on luggage opened and inspected, it just goes through the scanner.

Well i can only speak from my own experience of standing in the queue while peoples' possessions were rummaged through and that was only last year. Maybe the scanner was broken. But I yield the point.

It still does not explain why people encumber themselves so. As I said, each to their own but it still puzzles me.

MM

...camera stuff like that. All of which can be contained in a small shoulder bag...

My camera and computer gear would easily fit in a modestly sized pantechnicon of the Eddie Stobart variety! :eek:

J

My camera and computer gear would easily fit in a modestly sized pantechnicon of the Eddie Stobart variety! :eek: J
While a further two containers deliver your breakfasts to the ship? :D

Photographic proof:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2354547&page=2 (post 21)

(You did say you are on QV shortly didn't you? :D )

Edited by pepperrn

Wow- what a plethora of advice. Thanks to all. We are coming in from SC so will be spending the night in NY before boarding The Mary, as we have started referring to her, so would have a carry on for that night--Needless to say, we are already excited even though we don't sail until July 6! I enjoy reading all of the banter back and forth between you seasoned Cunarders. Hopefully, I can act seasoned whether I am or not! Thanks, again

While a further two containers deliver your breakfasts to the ship? :D

Photographic proof:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2354547&page=2 (post 21)

(You did say you are on QV shortly didn't you? :D )

Yet more photographic evidence - here is the refrigerated black pudding truck at the QEII Terminal waiting to transfer an emergency resupply of BP to QE2 after a Jimmy Three-Breakfasts cruise in 2007.

And I am indeed on QV shortly - sailing from Soton on 9th June. Then back on QV again on 15th Nov also out of Soton.

J

S0707240131_bp_truck_zps9dnlcvib.jpg

Wow- what a plethora of advice. Thanks to all. We are coming in from SC so will be spending the night in NY before boarding The Mary, as we have started referring to her, so would have a carry on for that night--Needless to say, we are already excited even though we don't sail until July 6! I enjoy reading all of the banter back and forth between you seasoned Cunarders. Hopefully, I can act seasoned whether I am or not! Thanks, again

Have a great time! There is something very special about one's first time on QM2...Discovering all those nooks and crannies...Ooohing and Aaahing over all the beautiful public rooms.

We always take a couple of bottles of champagne of our choice with us and a couple of bottles - at least - of cordial, and there is no way I would pack either with my nice dresses. Add to that medication, my jewellery, 2 x iPads 2 x Kindles cameras plus chargers means we do have a pull along cabin case.

Only once have we been boarded - at 11.15 - and asked to wait in the Lido on QE. So normally our one pull along doesn't inconvenience anyone. And apart from taking out laptops and iPads, we have never once had our bags opened.

Edited by cruiseluvva

Well i can only speak from my own experience of standing in the queue while peoples' possessions were rummaged through and that was only last year. Maybe the scanner was broken. But I yield the point.

It still does not explain why people encumber themselves so. As I said, each to their own but it still puzzles me.

MM

Easy answer - to stop our carry-on bags from getting damaged.

The large suitcase we bought specifically for cruising (never been anywhere near an airport) was damaged the first time we used it on a Cunard cruise and has been a few times since. I don't whether it's the porters throwing the cases into the crates or the stewards when they stack the trolleys.

MM

Hi MM. Sorry for your puzzlement. My carry on bag includes all the traditional stuff and a few added items: a bottle of water, a small bag of crackers, travel documents, jewelry, meds, cosmetics...plus a set of 'undies', dressy shoes, and a fairly nice top that can be worn with the plain black trouser suit I wear when boarding.

But I take your point that the above is an encumbrance...unless your boarding is delayed or your luggage doesn't arrive as anticipated, and then it's not an encumbrance.

In my travels -modest that they were, I have found that a well stocked carry on bag can be salvific, odd as that might sound.

Salacia

Edited to add: opps, forgot to mention - I always pack a few hankies (hankerchiefs).

Edited by Salacia

Ok, Ok, Pax, Pax. A carry-on e.g. an airline bag or small roll-on I grant you is not much of an encumbrance. However, people, a quick look round the queue on your next boarding and I guarantee you will marvel at the stuff people choose to hump around the terminal. And, as I have seen with my very own eyes, there are those whose cases are indeed too large to go through the scanner and must perforce be opened and scrutinised. Myself, I much prefer hassle-free travel. Travel is difficult enough in this security conscious age without complicating it further for ourselves. The more you tote the more you have to look after.

But as the man said, everyone to his own. So pull along your cases, festoon your necks with straps and handbags (purses for our cousins) and man bags, cling on to your vanity cases with one hand while manipulating your walking stick with the other and keep everyone waiting while you put all this stuff down and fumble about to find your tickets, Credit cards et al. Fair enough. I'll stick to my way you to yours. That's freedom. Long may it thrive.

MM