No more fish & chips on Conquest

Crusin' from Fl

Can understand charging for premium stuff like that but when they started charging for things that were included like fish and chips' date=' than I have to object.[/quote']

Not trying to argue ... but they didn't just "start charging" for "fish & chips" -- They discontinued that and replaced with what's sure to be a POPULAR and FREE option of a Guy's inspired BBQ option.

We have no way of knowing if these new offerings are the same quality as what was offered for free or not. One thing is for sure, they didn't have LOBSTER ROLLS on the Fish and Chips ... and I can't wait to try one!

I think Carnival has great free options ... if Guys were on Royal they would charge for it, just like they charge for Johnny Rockets.

The other thing I think is cool is at Cuchina and Jiji's you can eat there FOR FREE at lunchtime which is rare and I'm sure RCCL doesn't offer that.

I appreciate the option to pay extra for upgraded food, and sometimes will, sometimes wont ... but Carnival STILL (typically) charges MUCH less for the initial fare ... plus has MORE free food options than any other mass line out there.

Edited by RecoveryDude

Can understand charging for premium stuff like that but when they started charging for things that were included like fish and chips' date=' than I have to object.[/quote']

Overruled. They replaced included fish and chips with included bbq. And added an additional, optional, food station. Choice is good.

My take on this is the demand for the Fish and Chips station started declining when competing options (Guy's, Blue Iguana, even Seaday Brunch) opened. It was no longer worth keeping open and past due for a fresh idea. Voila - BBQ which appears to be quite popular. The Seafood Shack-like station is also a fresh idea. If offers a number of options (crab legs, lobster) the old Fish and Chips never had.

I agree.

I understand the new BBQ takes the place of Fish and Chips (the place).

I. get. that.

But, the Sea Shack on the Vista set a precedent. Carnival was the last, or one of the last few, cruise lines that you didn't have to pay EXTRA for anything at LUNCH.

With the Conquest; they set a precedent by taking a food product - Fish and Chips (the dish) and moving it from free to fee.

Now that Carnival has set this precedent, who's to say they won't take more LUNCH options that are currently FREE and move them over to a fee? They just did it - don't say they'll never do it again.

IMHO, I think they should have put the BBQ in the aft of the Lido Deck - it was already empty. Keep the FREE Fish and Chips place as it is (in a separate area up on Deck 10). At DINNER - turn it into a EXTRA FEE seafood restaurant. That would be consistent with the Asian and Italian free lunch options that have a completely different EXTRA FEE menu at night.

That would have kept the integrity of a FREE LUNCH for all in tact. :D

Edited by CruzinScotty

IMHO, I think they should have put the BBQ in the aft of the Lido Deck - it was already empty. Keep the FREE Fish and Chips place as it is (in a separate area up on Deck 10). At DINNER - turn it into a EXTRA FEE seafood restaurant. That would be consistent with the Asian and Italian free lunch options that have a completely different EXTRA FEE menu at night.

I'm fine with the current situation, but now that you mention it I think would have been a fantastic idea. :cool:

I'm fine with the current situation, but now that you mention it I think would have been a fantastic idea. :cool:

Then to top it off, add a specialty dining package that allows someone to rotate through all of the specialty restaurants for one set price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the menu looks word for work exactly like Guy's Pig and Anchor. I wonder if they're doing a trial run with it and if it's a hit it will get the Pig and Anchor makeover.

Has anyone tried it? If so please let us know how it is. I'm going on Conquest in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to try it.

I just got off the Vista that offers the seafood shack (same menu as the Conquest by the looks of it) and also had the BBQ up and running on deck 5...due to become Guys BBQ but is basically serving up the same food as the Conquest also.

Tried both!

The lobster roll (you get 2 mediumish ones that are buttered and toasted) is tasty and you can have it butter or mayo. You also get seasoned fries with it. We saw people with fish and chips that looked liked the old Conquest photos and people enjoyed the fried seafood platter as well. The fresh catch part was less popular but well priced and straight from port. As they cook it fresh most people got beepers and I waited around 10 minutes.

If you go to my post on the Vista board I posted the full BBQ menu on there. Really delicious and open for lunch on sea days. It had pulled pork butt, smoked beef, smoked turkey and greens, sausage, seasoned grilled moist chicken and sides like slaw and mac and cheese. Easily my favourite free eat on board! Big range of sauces for your meats too.

You can't keep the exact same eateries forever. I know people get comfortable with them and look forward to them but seriously to keep up the ship needs to change and no they didn't change the menu to charge for more food. They replaced the shop with another included food shop so there is just as food available in your fare as there was before. All they did was add the option for those that are stuck in their traditions to still get their favorite if they really want it by paying for it. While adding new options to keep variety on the ship for people who don't want to sail the same ship with the exact same menus and eateries for years and years.

Hi guys,

I haven't had time to read the entire thread, so apologies if anyone has already shared this info, but I contacted Carnival's PR folks, and here's what I was told:

Fish 'n' Chips (the eatery) has been replaced with a free BBQ restaurant (not Pig & Anchor).

A new for-fee venue, Seafood Corner, has been added to the ship. While Seafood Corner does sell fish 'n' chips for $6, free fish 'n' chips will still be offered in the lido buffet line on select days.

When I asked if this would be happening on other ships, I was told that, for now, it's a pilot program on Conquest only.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by ashley@cruisecritic

Hi guys,

I haven't had time to read the entire thread, so apologies if anyone has already shared this info, but I contacted Carnival's PR folks, and here's what I was told:

Fish 'n' Chips (the eatery) has been replaced with a free BBQ restaurant (not Pig & Anchor).

A new for-fee venue, Seafood Corner, has been added to the ship. While Seafood Corner does sell fish 'n' chips for $6, free fish 'n' chips will still be offered in the lido buffet line on select days.

When I asked if this would be happening on other ships, I was told that, for now, it's a pilot program on Conquest only.

Hope this is helpful.

Perfect! Thank you.

Honestly, I have been on 2 ships that had the old Fish N-Chips and they were never busy, maybe 2-3 groups each day, same people. It seemed like something people don't care as much about now that there is Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana burritos. Plus, we always saw fish and chips down on the Main buffet at least once or twice a week anyhow.

If the new BBQ place is only open on Sea Days, instead of daily, we will see how popular it is. I do think that having it at the LIDO upstairs is preferable to having it down on Deck 5 outside (Magic).

Perfect! Thank you.

Honestly, I have been on 2 ships that had the old Fish N-Chips and they were never busy, maybe 2-3 groups each day, same people. It seemed like something people don't care as much about now that there is Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana burritos. Plus, we always saw fish and chips down on the Main buffet at least once or twice a week anyhow.

If the new BBQ place is only open on Sea Days, instead of daily, we will see how popular it is. I do think that having it at the LIDO upstairs is preferable to having it down on Deck 5 outside (Magic).

Apparently the BBQ is open everyday for lunch.

The BBQ on the Conquest, deck 10 is open every day for lunch. Ships with outdoor BBQ on deck 5 are only open on sea days.