Our First "O" Disappointment

Classiccruiser777

Two years ago my wife tried an O cruise with her sister. They both returned raving about the food and the beds so last year I joined my wife for a Regatta cruise to Alaska and instantly became an O fan. Since it became obvious we would have many more O cruises in the future I looked into the loyalty program and was pleased to see that after 5 cruises we would be awarded additional OBC. Then I read the fine print. The OBC for frequent cruisers is per cabin even if each occupant of the cabin is at a level that is eligible for additional OBC. This, to me, is misleading by O management and disingenuous advertising. I expect better from a company that does so much so well.

I also get the $200. Just was on the website and it certainly does not say per cabin so I think you have some justification for your disappointment. I remembered it was per cabin so that was what i expected.

did you read the fine print ?

+All Oceania Club benefits listed are per stateroom, are based on double occupancy, can only be applied to one booking per voyage, have no cash value and are non-transferable. Benefits other than a shipboard credit cannot be exchanged for a shipboard credit if not taken.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/oceania-club/levels/

Clearly i did a few years back as i understand the deal but it would be easy to miss. Clear communication is not an inreasonable expectation.

I should add that I had just accessed from "My Account" and it does not have the footnote so depending on where one looks, being misled is very possible.

Edited by john2003

Two years ago my wife tried an O cruise with her sister. They both returned raving about the food and the beds so last year I joined my wife for a Regatta cruise to Alaska and instantly became an O fan. Since it became obvious we would have many more O cruises in the future I looked into the loyalty program and was pleased to see that after 5 cruises we would be awarded additional OBC. Then I read the fine print. The OBC for frequent cruisers is per cabin even if each occupant of the cabin is at a level that is eligible for additional OBC. This, to me, is misleading by O management and disingenuous advertising. I expect better from a company that does so much so well.

I can see your point except that so much in cruising is based on per cabin. The pleasant exception is that the OBC and other options in O Life are per person (though internet is one account). Of course, if you booked as two single supplements, you'd then each get $200 (but you'd lose in the bigger picture).

Nonetheless, the fine print is always important. Fortunately you read it. And you're still choosing Oceania. It is amazing, however, how many people will spend $10K+ (per cabin) and not read the fine print!

There are a few other quirks with the O amenities policies. For example, if you book a "grand voyage" you get duplicate restaurant slots for each segment. But, if you want to buy the prestige alcohol package, you can't split it into two purchases. I mention this one because I am convinced O would sell more packages on the first half of the (two segment) grand voyages because some folks wouldn't feel the need to commit for three or more weeks straight. Giving passengers the option of package or a la carte on segment two would probably net O equal or more income for that segment.

I guess since I've always traveled with my wife I've never given it a second thought. I guess I'm too dumb to feel misled.

Perhaps you could reserve two state rooms and get your double perk.

O is super stingy with discounts and OBC. I remember on my first cruise they gave me a coupon for $100 off if we booked within 30 days. Wow $100 off a $10,000+ fare :confused: that's going to motivate me to act quickly.

We liked O very much and did book instantly. Our TA informed us the $100 could not be used with any other perk, we had taken PPG. So a stingy $100 offer with strings attached.

I like O very much and have continued to cruise.

I can see your point except that so much in cruising is based on per cabin. The pleasant exception is that the OBC and other options in O Life are per person (though internet is one account). Of course, if you booked as two single supplements, you'd then each get $200 (but you'd lose in the bigger picture).

Nonetheless, the fine print is always important. Fortunately you read it. And you're still choosing Oceania. It is amazing, however, how many people will spend $10K+ (per cabin) and not read the fine print!

There are a few other quirks with the O amenities policies. For example, if you book a "grand voyage" you get duplicate restaurant slots for each segment. But, if you want to buy the prestige alcohol package, you can't split it into two purchases. I mention this one because I am convinced O would sell more packages on the first half of the (two segment) grand voyages because some folks wouldn't feel the need to commit for three or more weeks straight. Giving passengers the option of package or a la carte on segment two would probably net O equal or more income for that segment.

I am on a 27 day cruise, which was offered as a grand voyage and also in 2 segments 11 and 16 days.. I booked them as individual cruises, Got 200 for each segment, Got the OBC for the second and Prestige package for the first. When booking I had to pay 2 deposits... But hey I'd have to pay sooner or later...

So if you book as individual you can break down the grand voyage and do just what you suggested you would like.