Have I been travelling on different ships?

Camgirl

Every now and then I go and read some of the reviews posted on Cruise Critic. However, I am beginning to think I must be travelling on different ships to the reviewers.

This time I was reading reviews of Queen Elizabeth. In the few I read I was told that the pools were unheated, the food in the Lido was the same all day every day, the staff couldn't speak English and didn't smile at all and the food in Britannia was all potatoes, sauces and fried. The list goes on.

None of these sound like the Queen Elizabeth I have travelled on.

It seems such a shame that people might be put off booking a Cunard cruise by reading such inaccurate reviews.

Speaking generally I think there is a hardcore of amateur reviewers who seek to elevate their self-esteem by finding, often irrelevant, things to complain about as if this somehow displays their extreme discernment.

Clearly, in the case of those that seek to find find, fault will always be found but, in the main, I would say that the majority of reviews on CC are well-balanced and written by those that seek to have a good experience rather than by curmudgeons who seek only to belittle.

I'm sorry if that sounds a bit strong but it does irritate me when you read a review of something you know well and recognise in the review only the need on the part of the reviewer to be disappointed. I take comfort in thinking how sad their lives must be to be so unenthusiastic.

Tothesunset I totally agree with you.

But it is not the opinions that are expressed that I'm commenting on but fundimental inaccuracies that people might believe and be put off by. I believe most people can see through a lot of the gripes voiced. When I read reviews I always try to think would these things that have caused the reviewer to comment negatively bother me. Most of the time they wouldn't. But to read that the pools are unheated, for instance, would be much more important to me as I make a lot of use of the pools.

None of the things I mentioned in my original post are true. They are not opinions they are inaccurate. The pools are definitely heated, the food in the Lido is different through the day and from day to day, etc.

A review can either be subjective - one's own view - or objective which gives a balanced view from which readers can make their own mind up on what has been said.

I hope that the World cruise next year is good as we are doing the Singapore to Cape Town sector!

But it is not the opinions that are expressed that I'm commenting on but fundimental inaccuracies that people might believe and be put off by. I believe most people can see through a lot of the gripes voiced. When I read reviews I always try to think would these things that have caused the reviewer to comment negatively bother me. Most of the time they wouldn't. But to read that the pools are unheated, for instance, would be much more important to me as I make a lot of use of the pools.

None of the things I mentioned in my original post are true. They are not opinions they are inaccurate. The pools are definitely heated, the food in the Lido is different through the day and from day to day, etc.

I'm not sure that the sort of reviewer who is trying to be discerning is much interested in factual reporting, rather they sometimes overstate their findings the better to seem knowledgable. Which is ironic when you realise that they are talking nonsense!!

Like yourself we have read reviews of ships we know well and find in some reviews statements which just bear no relation to any reality we have experienced. Some judgements are not binary - food, decor, service standards etc appeal (or not) to different people in different ways - yet simple factual statements such as you have outlined are still contradicted in some reviews. It really is odd.

Speaking generally I think there is a hardcore of amateur reviewers who seek to elevate their self-esteem by finding, often irrelevant, things to complain about as if this somehow displays their extreme discernment.

I would agree with this.

Sometimes, however, it is a learned trait. About 27 years ago I worked as an editor producing educational material. We would attend staff meetings and would be expected to critique material in order to improve it. I found it so difficult as so often I found things to be of a high standard. (I am fast to critique educational material when it does not reach the high standard I expect, but this was already very good!) I had to adopt a very critical viewpoint and it has taken me years to undo that expectation of finding fault and the pressure to do so! Some criticism can come out of a mindset like that, one that has been trained over years of working.

Other criticism is just as described above by Tothesunset - and is as inaccurate as Camgirl has pointed out. 'To tell half the truth is, in fact, to tell a lie.' You could say that all I ever serve for dinner is meat, potatoes and vegetables. That's true but only half the truth. It doesn't take into account the different meats (hot or cold), the different ways of preparing potatoes (potato salad, boiled, baked, chips) and vegetables. It is a sad mindset that looks for such things and lets them spoil the holiday!

It's frustrating isn't it - I think if there are errors of fact in a review you can report it and Cruise Critic will do something about it (I'm not sure what but I can find out).

The only other thing we can do is make sure that we write our own accurate and balanced reviews and hope they will help to set the record straight.

... It is a sad mindset that looks for such things and lets them spoil the holiday!
Well said in your post fantasy51,

I have to agree with all you said, please excuse me not quoting all of it, but I had to say one thing about your comment above.

Whilst still agreeing with you, I think you may have missed something about those with the sad mindset you mention; finding a fault however small (that they can turn into something major) doesn't spoil their holiday. On the contrary, it makes their holiday.

If everything was perfect they'd be most unhappy; something to moan about gives them something to talk about for weeks/months afterwards :D !

Best wishes to you, and happy sailings :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Whilst still agreeing with you, I think you may have missed something about those with the sad mindset you mention; finding a fault however small (that they can turn into something major) doesn't spoil their holiday. On the contrary, it makes their holiday.

Very true! :D

As for happy sailing, I am preparing to set off on a Celebrity cruise next week with a friend. I booked this 6 months ago and then booked a last-minute Celebrity cruise for April with the same friend. While I have many good things to say about Celebrity, I can definitely say 'It ain't Cunard!' I am hoping to return to Cunard in November or December. It will feel like coming home.

Well said in your post fantasy51,

I have to agree with all you said, please excuse me not quoting all of it, but I had to say one thing about your comment above.

If everything was perfect they'd be most unhappy; something to moan about gives them something to talk about for weeks/months afterwards :D !

Best wishes to you, and happy sailings :) .

Some people are only happy when they are unhappy.

On our last cruise in 2012, we had a miss described balcony that was a chairs width at one end, and I had to limbo past the table to get to it, we only found out a few weeks before sailing of the problem, but were unable to change. It was also filthy and old flannels in the gutter, when they washed the windows it was flooded for 2 days. Our compensation after complaining on board, a bottle of wine!

We opted for 'anytime dining', thinking it would be like it was on Eclipse, wrong! You will sit where you are told, you cannot choose table area or waiter. We gave up after 4 nights when we were given a table and the waiter said 'what are you doing here' We had the rest of our meals in the in the self service restaurant for the rest of the cruise, friendly waiters and hot food. Very upset when we got home and found out others had reserved tables and times on anytime dining.

Not to mention the last passengers property left in the cabin, broken tiles in the shower, holes in the bed sheets.

We were promised $500 obc when booking, but were only have been given $300, and frankly, were so fed up with the whole cruise, we could not wait to get off!

So I complained!

Sorry, missed that little bit of information! Celebrity Constellation Wine Cruise in late September 2012. Looking back, we should have expected it, as we waited in the departure lounge, a long crocodile of staff went through the lounge to board the ship. It would appear that a lot of the best staff had been transferred to Reflection which was having its maiden cruise in early October, and further staff were leaving during the cruise.

Another interesting phenomenon on the forum is the occasional member who seems to have an insatiable grudge against a line. On the silversea forum lurks a member who takes every opportunity to put the line down whether by highlighting the criticisms made by others or by finding fault from reviews. And this in spite of not actually sailing that line (or any other it would seem) for several years.

It's quite pitiable that such people feel the need to so clearly lay bare their insecurities.

Every now and then I go and read some of the reviews posted on Cruise Critic. However, I am beginning to think I must be travelling on different ships to the reviewers.

This time I was reading reviews of Queen Elizabeth. In the few I read I was told that the pools were unheated, the food in the Lido was the same all day every day, the staff couldn't speak English and didn't smile at all and the food in Britannia was all potatoes, sauces and fried. The list goes on.

None of these sound like the Queen Elizabeth I have travelled on.

It seems such a shame that people might be put off booking a Cunard cruise by reading such inaccurate reviews.

I've found the same with P&O elsewhere, notably TripAdvisor.

I'd worry it was my standards but as Architect for a recently refurbished 5 star hotel I'd like to think I know a wee bit about accommodation expectations and the like!

I think the word we are all looking for is CONSTRUCTIVE .

Reviews should be to help you fellow travellers , not to take out an issue you have with the cruise line.

Excellent. In finding this phenomenon for the Koningsdam reviews. They are almost exclusively poor. We are booked for September 2017 and it makes me nervous. I've sought out professional reviews and articles. I find they are more balanced and give the information I'm seeking. They also put to rest any concerns I have.

Sorry, missed that little bit of information! Celebrity Constellation Wine Cruise in late September 2012. Looking back, we should have expected it, as we waited in the departure lounge, a long crocodile of staff went through the lounge to board the ship. It would appear that a lot of the best staff had been transferred to Reflection which was having its maiden cruise in early October, and further staff were leaving during the cruise.

Thanks for clarifying.

Excellent. In finding this phenomenon for the Koningsdam reviews. They are almost exclusively poor. We are booked for September 2017 and it makes me nervous. I've sought out professional reviews and articles. I find they are more balanced and give the information I'm seeking. They also put to rest any concerns I have.

Try reading NCL Breakaway reviews! We will be on her in December and the reviews and the actual Forum doesn't exactly spread the joy :eek: Clearly it's much easier to moan than to praise.

I've sought out professional reviews and articles.

Unfortunately, professional reviews and articles often cannot be trusted these days, either, as they are often biased in the other direction. "Professional" writers are often really just that: paid. At least the cruises, they are writting about, are in most cases paid by the cruises lines.

Now wonder, blogs and articles often sound like advertisements.

In finding this phenomenon for the Koningsdam reviews. They are almost exclusively poor.

Don't you think, maybe HAL should listen to their customers? Don't you think, if the response is almost unisono negative, there might be some truth in it?

Unfortunately, professional reviews and articles often cannot be trusted these days, either, as they are often biased in the other direction. "Professional" writers are often really just that: paid. At least the cruises, they are writting about, are in most cases paid by the cruises lines.

Now wonder, blogs and articles often sound like advertisements.

Don't you think, maybe HAL should listen to their customers? Don't you think, if the response is almost unisono negative, there might be some truth in it?

In this case, no. HAL is moving in a new direction with Koningsdam and people are often uncomfortable with change. HAL is aggressively seeking out a new type of clientele--the younger family. I think the negative reviews probably have something to do with how Koningsdam breaks from the typical HAL ship. That's the reason we booked it, actually.

There are always the outliers, those who think everything is perfect or dreadful. Once you have ignored those, I would see if the things people are complaining about would bother me.

I can understand that the new HAL ship might not appeal to traditional HAL cruisers but that doesn't mean their complaints aren't valid.

I