Venice question

A Man called Hoss

Hello all.

Booked on X606, Oriana, 18 nights, May 16.(Venice 2 full day's).

Travel (300 miles) day before, B&B in Dibden, transfer for check in time.

My Questions are:-

* Where do I go for Vaporreto tickets, directions please.

* Is the ticket booth manned, can I use Euro's.

* Where do you validate the tickets.

* To what time at night do they run.

* What is last time back to ship on first day in Vanice.

* Can anyone recommend a restaurant for an evening meal, no rip off prices.

* Murano Glass......Will it be genuine on Murano Island.

Thanks,

Keith.

Hello all.

Booked on X606, Oriana, 18 nights, May 16.(Venice 2 full day's).

Travel (300 miles) day before, B&B in Dibden, transfer for check in time.

My Questions are:-

Take the people mover from the dock to Piazza Roma, cross the main road toward the canal and the ticket booths are on the left

* Is the ticket booth manned, can I use Euro's.

Yes, they are manned and euros is the currency

* Where do you validate the tickets.

before you get on the vaporetto, wave the ticket at the reader until it bleeps or the light flashes?

* To what time at night do they run.

Don't know but it is late

* What is last time back to ship on first day in Vanice.

no last time, 3am if you want

* Can anyone recommend a restaurant for an evening meal, no rip off prices.

sorry no

* Murano Glass......Will it be genuine on Murano Island.

Oh yes, genuine, there is a retail outlet at the factory which is next to the vaporetto stop

Thanks,

Keith.

ps - vaporetto route 1 terminates at Piazza Roma and goes to the Lido via the Grand Canal and St Marks Square.

Take the people mover from the dock to Piazza Roma, cross the main road toward the canal and the ticket booths are on the left

ps - vaporetto route 1 terminates at Piazza Roma and goes to the Lido via the Grand Canal and St Marks Square.

Alternatively take the people mover to Tronchetto which is much less crowded than Piazza La Roma and pick up a vapoertto there. The booth is manned and the staff speak perfect English, you just have to ensure you get on the circular Vap. that's going to St Marks down the Grand canal rather the less interesting Guidecca canal, which you will have just sailed up on Oriana.

If you are taking the vaporetto to Murano and you are there for 2 days I would also take one from Murano to Burano which is worth a walk around. The easiest route to Murano is the DM line from P.Roma and then the LN line to Burano if you want to.

The No. 1 line from P.Roma to St Marks is worth doing just for the views, best value thing in Venice. It is worth buying daily vaporetto passes or If it fits your times you can get a 36 hour pass.

Unable to answer about meals in the evenings, but we have had several lunches at various restaurants in Venice. We have had a couple of very enjoyable meals on the Riva Del Vin by the Rialto Bridge, not cheap, but I did not feel we had been ripped off. We have also had meals on the Riva Degli Schiavoni, the area where the ship shuttles drop of near St Marks. More basic and mass market but more reasonable in price. When we were there most of them had menu's posted outside, so you can get a fair idea of the cost.

Enjoy Venice, one of the best ports to visit IMO.

If you are taking the vaporetto to Murano and you are there for 2 days I would also take one from Murano to Burano which is worth a walk around. The easiest route to Murano is the DM line from P.Roma and then the LN line to Burano if you want to.

The No. 1 line from P.Roma to St Marks is worth doing just for the views, best value thing in Venice. It is worth buying daily vaporetto passes or If it fits your times you can get a 36 hour pass.

Sorry - Line numbers have changed - should read P.roma to Burano is line 3 and Murano to Burano is Line 12.

Unless I missed it, you asked what time you had to be back on board the first night? The answer is - whenever you like! We just had a two day Venice on Oriana, we had been many times so we went to Padua. my only advice about eating is don't eat on the main canal, choose somewhere one street back.

Thanks,

Will print off the maps and also maybe study google maps.

Will check out restaurant boards during the day to get idea's

Keith

Your best bet for restaurants is to try and go off the beaten track a bit and try some of the back street restaurants. They are less crowded and usually offer a smaller choice, but better and more authentic food at a lower price. We found a great little back street place not that far from the main drag - the food was fabulous, portions enormous, staff very friendly. No fancy stuff but one of the best (and certainly the cheapest!) meals i have ever had in Venice. Only problem is I cannot remember the name or the exact location! Sorry....

Edited by Mysticalmother
Ipad has a mind of its own when spelling......