Taking own alcohol on-board ship

Angel19

Can you take your own alcohol inboards ship? If so how much?? Thanks

Why would you bother? There are plenty of bars and wandering waiters to satisfy your thirst. Prices on board are no more than our local pub so it isn't worth the hassle in my view.

We enjoy a gin and tonic while we're getting ready for dinner and often crack a bottle of prosecco on the balcony. If we sail from Southampton we carry on a Tesco wine carrier with gin, tonic, Champagne and Prosecco. If we fly we usually stock up at the first port.

Why would you bother? There are plenty of bars and wandering waiters to satisfy your thirst. Prices on board are no more than our local pub so it isn't worth the hassle in my view.

We will be celebrating a special birthday onboard so I want to take some champagne! We fully intend to take full advantages of the bars.;-)

One question though - is it cheaper to get a wine package booked before you go or is it the same price to do it once onboard!!

We will be celebrating a special birthday onboard so I want to take some champagne! We fully intend to take full advantages of the bars.;-)

One question though - is it cheaper to get a wine package booked before you go or is it the same price to do it once onboard!!

They sell champagne as well.

Let's be honest here, passengers wheeling on crates of drink do it to save cash and as P&O are quite happy with this whose to criticise?

David.

They sell champagne as well.

Let's be honest here, passengers wheeling on crates of drink do it to save cash and as P&O are quite happy with this whose to criticise?

David.

I doubt they sell verve clique at £30 a bottle though!;) (Hiccup)

Bottoms up!

I don't see what the hassle is in taking a bottle of gin or box of wine on board. We also like a G&T on the balcony, pre dinner. It's no bother at all taking our own on board

I make the point I made on another thread on the same subject. The prices on board ship are certainly not comparable with my local pub prices, I pay £2.30 for a pint of bitter in my local, on the ship I pay around £4.00. I can only assume it will be the same across the range of drinks on the ship

If you like a drink on your own balcony, then the saving in taking your own on board is considerable

Edited by Mr Piano

I don't see what the hassle is in taking a bottle of gin or box of wine on board. We also like a G&T on the balcony, pre dinner. It's no bother at all taking our own on board

I make the point I made on another thread on the same subject. The prices on board ship are certainly not comparable with my local pub prices, I pay £2.30 for a pint of bitter in my local, on the ship I pay around £4.00. I can only assume it will be the same across the range of drinks on the ship

If you like a drink on your own balcony, then the saving in taking your own on board is considerable

A lyric bottle of Gin on board is £20 in the supermarket for a bottle it is between £15 and £20. Unless it is Christmas. Hardly worth taking.

I think it would be more accurate to say that the ships prices are similar to London and the Souths pub prices.

We tend to take a bottle -or two if it's a long cruise - of Pimms. Although you can buy glasses of Pimms on board they don't sell it by the bottle. In warmer climes we like a glass of Pimms at lunch time - and in the late afternoon watching the sun go down. Other than that we might take a bottle of fizz if we have one at home.

If that's true I would change your local pub, or its a while since you sailed on P&O!

A lyric bottle of Gin on board is £20 in the supermarket for a bottle it is between £15 and £20. Unless it is Christmas. Hardly worth taking.

Well I didn't know that, you can buy a bottle of spirit on board to consume in cabin. Just checked and you're right, it can be bought though room service. But just a little more than you have quoted, it's £22 for a litre of gin

However you're right, not worth the luggage space and weight for a few extra quid. Thanks for that, in future I'll just buy a bottle from room service

Well I didn't know that, you can buy a bottle of spirit on board to consume in cabin. Just checked and you're right, it can be bought though room service. But just a little more than you have quoted, it's £22 for a litre of gin

However you're right, not worth the luggage space and weight for a few extra quid. Thanks for that, in future I'll just buy a bottle from room service

Well it was £22 last year but on our 3 cruises, this year it has been £20, less of course my 10%. Which makes it £18.

I don't know why the price came down. :) :)

We live just outside Cardiff and the prices in our local pubs are comparable with those on the ship. We order wine from room service, c. £16 a bottle which again is comparable to local pubs. You just pick up the phone and wait for a lovely young chap to deliver a chilled bottle of wine (or two!) and two sparkling glasses. My husband answers the door so I that I can remain on the balcony with my hand out.................IMO it's all part of the holiday experience :D

The price for the wine package is the same before and during the trip so potentially you can save whatever loyalty discount off the package price by buying onboard.

I believe that you also get loyalty discount on any pre-paid items including shore excursions and presumably wine packages.

We were married abroad and my parents gave us a bottle of champagne to celebrate once the deed was done. At that time, We were young and poor so we would not have bought one ourselves. Anyway - I packed it carefully in my hold luggage as I didn't want to carry it around the airport with me. It 'popped' in the suitcase and ruined some items from our wedding outfits :eek:. Put me off champagne for life, for which my DH is extremely grateful :)