What excellent CS from P & O

soobs

Excellent CS from P & O, we were allocated our cabin last week for our forthcoming Britannia cruise on the 5th December, they came us a small upgrade but the cabin was quite a way from the lifts I sent an email last night to ask if there were any other options.

Before 11 am this morning I had a reply and a cabin move to near the lifts with another small upgrade.

What an excellent service this is.

My partner has some walking difficulties so this will add to our enjoyment of the holiday, P & O didn't need to do anything as had more than we paid for and he is not disabled.

Excellent CS from P & O, we were allocated our cabin last week for our forthcoming Britannia cruise on the 5th December, they came us a small upgrade but the cabin was quite a way from the lifts I sent an email last night to ask if there were any other options.

Before 11 am this morning I had a reply and a cabin move to near the lifts with another small upgrade.

My partner has some walking difficulties so this will add to our enjoyment of the holiday, P & O didn't need to do anything as had more than we paid for and he is not disabled.

Brilliant news! Enjoy your cruise, I loved Britsnnia and can't wait to go on her again. My friends have just booked and I'm very envious [emoji6]

Bet this one does not get 1000 posts :) :)

No good posting good news. :)

We are on the same cruise as soobs.

We had a HF GTY and got a HB (so far) on saver fares.

Friends we are going with have gone from a HF to an HE though they are P&O virgins.

(I prefer their cabin on A deck tbh, we are on E)

Its far from sold out but that's fine by us!

Upgrades all round :D

Bet this one does not get 1000 posts :) :)

No good posting good news. :)

I think P&O are very good at looking after people.

Theoretically they should be able to smoke on their balconies before going down to the MDR on a formal night dressed in ripped denims. How much money is involved on your bet dai?

Lol John

Good for you ... Enjoy!

I booked this same cruise last year when they were first announced - on a Select fare.

Still waiting for my upgrade.

Just saying.

Out of interest what grade of cabin did you book? All the posters so far have booked guarantee grades....so have they got an upgrade? Well no not really...they have just got a grade slightly above what they booked.

But keep an eye out, i would love someone to find that their " first priority " for upgrades has been usurped by a late save booker - and then take P &O to task over it... My personal view is that they mislead passenegrs over upgrades when they have booked select fares....

But of course you could still get an upgrade..

Out of interest what grade of cabin did you book? All the posters so far have booked guarantee grades....so have they got an upgrade? Well no not really...they have just got a grade slightly above what they booked.

But keep an eye out, i would love someone to find that their " first priority " for upgrades has been usurped by a late save booker - and then take P &O to task over it... My personal view is that they mislead passenegrs over upgrades when they have booked select fares....

The Guarantee or Minimum Grade Guaranteed Bookings system is based on making it easier to book a significant number of people onto a ship with not a lot of administration required. Marketing strategy from the cruise lines point of view is having a lot of grades; six inside grades of inside cabins on Britannia for example: PF to PA with PA being the highest grade. There are roughly just 22 bottom grade PF inside cabins on Britannia and roughly 410 other higher grade inside cabins. You can advertise a cruise from £499 inside PF grade, subject to availability. You see where that leads when you phone in. They have run out and a higher price will need to be paid. However they tend to market as a minimum grade (PF) inside at a set price. After they have sold this deal to 22 people booking you have run out of that grade. The next 410 bookings if made on the same guarantee basis will have to be given upgrades it is as simple as that.

A similar situation happens with Balcony cabins six types HF up to HA, then a further six Balcony types with a sofa! GF up to GA. They will always have a small number of the bottom grade in each cabin type and Guaranteed bookings will always be based on the bottom grade because if they based minimum grade guarantees on the top end then the overspill will end up with a much better type of cabin which could be marketed better if they were advertised as what they actually are.

Once you factor in why the guarantee bookings tend to get upgraded because of the lack of cabins in a grade you can understand why the select bookings do not get upgraded so easily. If select bookings were upgraded and a lack of cabins existed to meet the contractual obligation of the guarantee bookings they would still need to be upgraded and if you have upgraded select bookings and filled higher grades then the guarantee people will have to be upgraded above them.

Most upgrades are a relatively meaningless exact same cabin but elsewhere on the ship as Mystical mother implies. This new location may well be exactly where you dislike.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

If you book a select fare and would like an automatic upgrade make sure you tell them that you are willing to take an automatic upgrade....personally if I'd picked my cabin and paid the premium price for so doing I would opt out of an upgradeable that's just my personal opinion :-)

To be honest even though we have gone from a HF which is A deck forward to a HB E deck aft I would rather be in an HF. Our friends who have gone from a HF to an HE have a cabin we would normally book outright, its aft and one flight of stairs to the buffet and sunset bar, now we are stuck in the middle.

Cant please all of the people all of the time as the saying goes!

If you book a select fare and would like an automatic upgrade make sure you tell them that you are willing to take an automatic upgrade....personally if I'd picked my cabin and paid the premium price for so doing I would opt out of an upgradeable that's just my personal opinion :-)

I agree with this strategy after carefully selecting my exact cabin. The only time I would deviate from your suggestion is where I have booked the absolute top grade ocean view cabin. Under these circumstances an upgrade would necessarily mean getting a balcony.

Regards John

To be fair it's not as easy as it sounds. We were originally booked for a mid grade inside cabin but a couple of weeks ago decided to upgrade ourselves to a lowish grade unrestricted view balcony.

We also ticked the box to have an automatic upgrade should one become available.

I still wouldn't mind an upgrade to a better balcony should one become available and would be a little upset if I heard that those on savers got upgrades over us.

To be fair it's not as easy as it sounds. We were originally booked for a mid grade inside cabin but a couple of weeks ago decided to upgrade ourselves to a lowish grade unrestricted view balcony.

We also ticked the box to have an automatic upgrade should one become available.

I still wouldn't mind an upgrade to a better balcony should one become available and would be a little upset if I heard that those on savers got upgrades over us.

I was under the impression, but will stand corrected that saver fares only booked a type..ie inside outside balcony. Any "upgrades" would only be within that type, maybe to a higher deck and midships ,but still within that type.

Therefore if you booked a late saver inside you could go higher and midships ,but still inside, not to an outside.

I think John answered my question as to who got upgrades people who paid for a set cabin ,or someone who booked a gty. I would like to think that the person who paid for a set cabin would get the upgrade and the gty would be given their old cabin , which to me would be fairest.

Personally all as totally clear as mud...

I was under the impression, but will stand corrected that saver fares only booked a type..ie inside outside balcony. Any "upgrades" would only be within that type, maybe to a higher deck and midships ,but still within that type.

Therefore if you booked a late saver inside you could go higher and midships ,but still inside, not to an outside.

I think John answered my question as to who got upgrades people who paid for a set cabin ,or someone who booked a gty. I would like to think that the person who paid for a set cabin would get the upgrade and the gty would be given their old cabin , which to me would be fairest.

Personally all as totally clear as mud...

Correct late savers pay for a cabin type not a grade. Therefore they do not get upgrades. They are fitted into a inside, ocean view or balcony.

Correct late savers pay for a cabin type not a grade. Therefore they do not get upgrades. They are fitted into a inside, ocean view or balcony.

We booked a saver fare HF balcony, to say we don't get upgrades isn't strictly true. Yes we have a balcony but there are many grades of balcony. To have paid for the HB we currently have would have cost another £100 each.

That's an upgrade in my eyes.

We booked a saver fare HF balcony, to say we don't get upgrades isn't strictly true. Yes we have a balcony but there are many grades of balcony. To have paid for the HB we currently have would have cost another £100 each.

That's an upgrade in my eyes.

My friends booked a saver fare on our recent cruise, but they booked a specific grade (one up from the bottom), they were then upgraded to the top grade balcony. I may be wrong but I think early savers you can book your grade but not specific cabin, and late savers you book cabin type - so not a specific grade or cabin.

My friends booked a saver fare on our recent cruise, but they booked a specific grade (one up from the bottom), they were then upgraded to the top grade balcony. I may be wrong but I think early savers you can book your grade but not specific cabin, and late savers you book cabin type - so not a specific grade or cabin.

We booked a late saver for our cruise on Britainnia next week.We booked a DC grade guarantee superior deluxe balcony which was the only grade available to book for this type of cabin and we have been allocated a DA cabin 2 grades higher ,so this is an upgrade.