What is going on with RCL pricing?

JAMESCC

We were faithful RCL cruisers from NJ. We got up to Platinum and were not even thinking about stopping, but prices have gone totally insane. I mean I checked when Quantum was here and got annoyed. We are doing our first NCL cruise at a fair price with a nice perk of free drinks the entire cruise. Its a new and large ship too, the Breakaway. RCL really just went totally bananas with the fares. We will stick with the NCL Breakaway if prices stay the way they are. This not a hate RCL post, its a disappointment posting. I hate to move on from RCL, but we have to.

I booked three cabins for Thanksgiving week about 7 moths ago. At that time, the three balcony cabins on BA came to around $8300. Anthem was close to $15,000 for three balcony cabins. Last week, Anthem dropped to $8700 for the three cabins so we made the switch. BA pricing has gone up a tiny bit from 7 moths ago. I think you'll see Anthem prices drop dramatically especially for winter sailings. That happened with BA last year- every sailing dropped a lot 30-90 days before

I booked three cabins for Thanksgiving week about 7 moths ago. At that time, the three balcony cabins on BA came to around $8300. Anthem was close to $15,000 for three balcony cabins. Last week, Anthem dropped to $8700 for the three cabins so we made the switch. BA pricing has gone up a tiny bit from 7 moths ago. I think you'll see Anthem prices drop dramatically especially for winter sailings. That happened with BA last year- every sailing dropped a lot 30-90 days before

Thanks we want to do Canada/NE again as we did on Explorer but prices are totally nuts. Comes out to something close to 4 grand for 2 adults and a child that is 2 right now and that is for an inside cabin. That is insanity, total insanity. I won't sail or book till prices come way, way down. We will stick to NCL Breakaway and make the trek over into NYC. Its a shame but reality.

We were faithful RCL cruisers from NJ. We got up to Platinum and were not even thinking about stopping, but prices have gone totally insane. I mean I checked when Quantum was here and got annoyed. We are doing our first NCL cruise at a fair price with a nice perk of free drinks the entire cruise. Its a new and large ship too, the Breakaway. RCL really just went totally bananas with the fares. We will stick with the NCL Breakaway if prices stay the way they are. This not a hate RCL post, its a disappointment posting. I hate to move on from RCL, but we have to.

Booked the March 7th cruise next year....12 days Anthem Deluxe Balcony 3,996.00........:)

We booked Anthem for next Sept. to do Canada/New England. The price has gone up considerably since we booked in April. Our D1 is sold out! I guess they will keep raising prices as long as people are willing to pay. On the other side, doing Allure in Jan of 2016 and the price dropped for us. Could be because of our TA special. Living in Florida, we get tired of the Caribbean.

So much for RCI not giving away last minute discounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're sailing on Anthem Nov. 10 (first cruise out of NJ) and got a nice big price drop right BEFORE final payment (thanks RCI), which was a nice change. However, there was just another smaller but still notable price drop today, 60 days out and after final payment. Seems there is still some discounting going on, but if they make a practice of doing their biggest cut before final payment they will make a lot more folks happy.

We're sailing on Anthem Nov. 10 (first cruise out of NJ) and got a nice big price drop right BEFORE final payment (thanks RCI), which was a nice change. However, there was just another smaller but still notable price drop today, 60 days out and after final payment. Seems there is still some discounting going on, but if they make a practice of doing their biggest cut before final payment they will make a lot more folks happy.

What happened was that the BOGOHO sale started applying to all Anthem cruises as of 9/1. Prior to that, it excluded cruises before April 2016. So this was not a matter of individual cruises going down at the last minute, although it did have that effect. As a result of the promo applying to earlier cruises, , the effective fare went down 25% from what the current price is (even though the price had probably gone up), so most people saved money.

I am booked for 1/3/16 and was going to save $200 on my D4, but switched to a guarantee instead (which I had not noticed available previously) and saved an extra $500. And then they gave me a D7 instead of a DO for my guarantee cabin, to make things even better!

BTW even if you've made final payment, I've heard of people calling and getting upgrades if there was a better cabin available at a price comparable to what they had paid (or maybe just a little bit more?).

Edited by MisterBill99

Nope, you are incorrect. I didn't even book a BOGO rate. It was a deep NE resident discount. The same raiding discount rate code that was terrible months ago was suddenly much cheaper. So, in fact, prices did drop dramatically on particular cruises.

Edited by conandrob240

Nope, you are incorrect. I didn't even book a BOGO rate. It was a deep NE resident discount. The same raiding discount rate code that was terrible months ago was suddenly much cheaper. So, in fact, prices did drop dramatically on particular cruises.
OK.. but that would not have been valid for existing reservations, anyway. I haven't seen regional rates for my 1/3 cruise (well, there was one for a few days several months ago, I suspect it was a mistake).

The fact is that the availability of the BOGOHO promo on 9/1 dropped the price of most (all?) Anthem cruises prior to 4/16 because they weren't eligible for it before. So their attempt to keep those cruises priced high has obviously failed, regional rate or not. However, the prices have been moving up since, which is the same thing I noticed when BOGOHO first started and I booked Oasis last May.

Edited by MisterBill99

We booked Anthem for next Sept. to do Canada/New England. The price has gone up considerably since we booked in April.

I booked that cruise for August. I booked in June when they came out with the 30/30 sale, which was the first time that any Anthem cruises had been eligible for promotions like that. Yes, the base price had gone up before that but with the 30% off, it was still cheaper. Since then, the prices have gone up consistently.

If you look at the Canada/NE cruises, the prices always seem to go up. Liberty prices for the same cruise this year were higher than I paid for Anthem.

Edited by MisterBill99

RCI prices seem to go though phases of starting off good deals when the cruises are first posted, and then gradually rise and fall as different offers come into effect.

The current BOGOHO is not tempting us at all. the total price is still way too much

considering some months ago they were offering free drinks and grats for a similar price

If last year is anything to go by, we now need to wait until january for the prices to start dropping for 2016 summer cruise's

If they don't we will be looking else where

We are looking at The Harmony for a summer cruise out of either rome or Barcelona ( for the same week the rome embarkation is £100 each more)?

also the cruises are only 7 days and the price for a balcony is very similar using the BOGOHO as our 14 nights on Anthem this year that included $400 credit and a drinks package each.

The 7 night harmony is also a similar price to our 14 nights on Equinox that also included drinks and Grats promo.

Celebrity prices for next year similar to this,

I wish RCL was stop plying the games with tier pricing, they must be losing clients while they have over inflated prices

I have never been on a new ship and usually cruise with whomever I can find a good deal. That being said, I can usually sail in a balcony for under $700 p/p. But I splurged and booked the Anthem for Oct 2016 (a 9-day Bermuda/Caribbean run) months ago and it came to just over $2,800 (balcony for 2 with insurance). Today, it's now over $4,300! I about fell out of my chair. I thought it was expensive when I booked. :eek:

Edited by erby2283

It's just like any other business, including other travel, like hotels and airfare. Prices go up and down with supply and demand, or just sale prices throughout the year.

If you don't love the price, book it anyway. You can always cancel. Keep looking for price reductions. I just got my third reduction on a May Grandeur cruise to Canada. It's gone down $680 for 2 rooms, which is a 28% savings vs the original cost. I'll keep checking every week.

------------------