Gold Coast cruise ship terminal, yes or no?

Now we have non qualified engineers saying no to oceanographers? I'm sorry but it CAN work and it has at Costa Maya and as I've said before the plan developed by the offshore GC terminal Facebook page has been endorsed by experts. Please don't listen to armchair critics.

If the conditions are too rough you simply build a protective barrier that stops the waves.

See design at the following page which would work perfectly well

https://www.facebook.com/gcoffshoreterminal/?fref=ts

My no was in the context of - that a pier built like the one at Busselton wouldn't work. I still think that any pier built 1.2 kms out to open water (not in a natural harbour or bay) would be unusable due to sea conditions a lot of the time.

The green light may have been given by the Federal Government for the project to proceed but there is no funding from the federal government or the state government government at this stage. Who will pay for it, GC businesses? A lot of cash to put up.

The Federal Government Environmental Department has given approval. That is only one aspect of the proposal and it does not cover funding.

(quote) MAYOR Tom Tate says he has cleared “the biggest hurdle” towards approval of his cruise ship terminal with the Federal Government confirming the project had cleared national environment laws. (end quote)

Big M I'm sure people from Guatemala or Scotland may have an opinion on a GC cruise port too and of course their entitled to their opinion, but do we in Australia take heed of their opinion for our major infrastructure projects, NO. I suggest if that's not common sense to you you may need to put your thinking cap on and think about it.

I pay $40,000 a yer tax for many years, have visited the Gold Coast many times spending tens of thousands of dollars in their Local economy. So if you think non paying taxpayers, non voting non residents decisions are more important on major infrastructure prohects than Australians then there's no way nice to say this but

your brain is ifrelevent

It really seems apparent that you don't realise this discussion is taking place on a forum. On the internet. Which is available worldwide. And has no bearing on how projects are funded. Which by the way is actually the biggest obstacle to your pet proposal.

And where did I say "non paying taxpayers, non voting non residents decisions are more important on major infrastructure prohects than Australians "???

:confused:

How did they get the deep water line to be so straight, is that a reef drop off or is it an artists impression of dredging.

How did they get the deep water line to be so straight, is that a reef drop off or is it an artists impression of dredging.

I don't believe there is a reef there, otherwise it would be far too shallow. The ocean floor is sand. The drawing would be an artist's impression.

I don't believe there is a reef there, otherwise it would be far too shallow. The ocean floor is sand. The drawing would be an artist's impression.

I don't like the look of it, it looks unnatural, I would prefer a gradual colour change.

With millions being spent on a new cruise terminal in Brisbane it is hard to justify another 100 million for a GC terminal. I would treat the &) million as a ball park guess and these projects rarely come in on budget. Wait until the Greens start their protests about saving the whales, dugongs, flat fish and the spider eating sea worm. This project will get held up in the courts for years if the green light is given to proceed

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic, further progress, see link below...... I do hope the minority of whingers and complainers do not do a cruise that stops at the Gold Coast out of principle, Thank goodness the majority who want progress are for it. If we listened to the continual nay sayers things like the Harbour Bridge or Opera House would never have been built.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/council/gold-coast-cruise-ship-terminal-to-progress-to-next-stage-after-council-gives-green-light/news-story/f7200569b32809c887a8378b93c0aca4

Some people seem like kids, not realising the cost of things.

Interesting the latest estimates just released a couple of days ago have bumped up the price _massively_ with the top estimate reaching almost HALF A BILLION dollars! As usual, almost anything is possible - but at a cost.

And they expect private enterprise to pay for it... Given there's no way they can get that back in cruise charges, and business isn't there as charity, what other things/kickbacks would need to be given up by residents to get any business to shell out?

More and more, it appears that the earlier evidence that it's not realistic is coming true, despite some fervent hopes.

Reminds me of a similar cruise related pipedream that was also talked big about for some time, coincidentally from the same part of Australia. Titanic 2. The doubters were proved right on that one.

Well the only problem I can see is if the Turtles, Whales and Dugongs, turn up half an hour before work starts.

Was also wondering if they would need their Hard- Hats, be fully accredited, Paid -up, and have attended the appropriate T.A.F E , courses.

Worried.

Well the only problem I can see is if the Turtles, Whales and Dugongs, turn up half an hour before work starts.

Was also wondering if they would need their Hard- Hats, be fully accredited, Paid -up, and have attended the appropriate T.A.F E , courses.

Worried.

So long as they don't turn up late for work I don't see what the problem is.:D

In Australia, we have very well educated sea-life. They are always going to school.:confused:

So long as they don't turn up late for work I don't see what the problem is.:D

In Australia, we have very well educated sea-life. They are always going to school.:confused:

LOL, boom boom.

There are quite a few that prefer a reef or some sea grass instead of going to school.:p

Personally, I think a new port at Brisbane (on the Myrtletown side of the river) would be best with second spot going to Mooloolaba as a better option than the Gold coast due to the protection afforded by Point Cartwright.

Personally, I think a new port at Brisbane (on the Myrtletown side of the river) would be best with second spot going to Mooloolaba as a better option than the Gold coast due to the protection afforded by Point Cartwright.

What, don't make me get the MAP out.

Lets keep to the basics.:D

• 3 months later...