AT&T service and wifi in Alaskan ports

GMRPHRN

I am cruising next week and stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchican and Victoria, BC and hopefully cruising through Tracy Arm. Can anybody comment on the the coverage for AT&T in these ports and whether there is free wifi anywhere?

Thoughts....

• Check the ATT coverage map.... There is no service in Tracy Arm. There is limited coverage in the inside passage.
    https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html
  • there will be roaming coverage for about 30 minutes when near Prince Rupert. Outside top deck or cabins facing land will get the best coverage.
  • when the ship is away from Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan.... pay attention to which carrier you are connecting to. Connecting to the ship's cellular can get expensive. Disable auto carrier selection.

I have AT&T; when in Vancouver, my phone shows Rogers instead of AT&T. When I was in Victoria a couple of years ago, I couldn't get any signal to work for some reason. Maybe it's just my rate plan. I do know that AT&T does have a special rate plan you can get for Canada; I believe the rep. quoted me $30 for a month.

I would check with AT&T for clarification so you won't be hit with any surprise charges.

I also have AT&T and my husband goes to Canada frequently, he doesn't call when he's up there unless it's an emergency, a five minute call can cost you almost $10.00 ..We've been on the Alaska cruise in Juneau and Skagway coverage was okay.. In Victoria I believe it is Rogers which we never used because of the international rates. Be vary cautious you don't want to rack up a huge bill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have used AT&T for years in Alaska and always had great reception while in port with the exception of Skagway where it was poor if the ship docked next to the large rock wall. AT&T has a new international plan that allows you to automatically activate a $10/day connection charge while in Canada if you use the phone. That means if someone sends you a text, the daily charge will be activated for that day.

There is free WiFi in all of your ports. Ask a member of the crew where they go to connect with their families back home. In Victoria, there is free WiFi just outside the port gate at a small shop. Look for all of the crew members seated on the ground with their tablets.

I use my AT&T phone secure hotspot for WiFi while in port.

Here is a link to free WiFi in Alaska: http://www.wififreespot.com/alk.php

I am in Alaska now and AT&T service has been very spotty. I can only send text or email when it shows LTE and nothing if 3G or less. Best reception was in Skagway so far. Nothing in Haines or Sitka

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thoughts....

• Check the ATT coverage map.... There is no service in Tracy Arm. There is limited coverage in the inside passage.
    https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html
  • there will be roaming coverage for about 30 minutes when near Prince Rupert. Outside top deck or cabins facing land will get the best coverage.
  • when the ship is away from Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan.... pay attention to which carrier you are connecting to. Connecting to the ship's cellular can get expensive. Disable auto carrier selection.

And remember to turn off "Roaming"

Great Thread! Can anyone add any insight about Sprint? I'm not concerned about wifi....just normal cell / LTE service in the usual AK ports

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sprint isn't in Alaska, so, you'll be roaming. So, not sure what your plan says about roaming, and, who their partners are!

Susan in Anchorage :)