Cruising with Someone That has a Green Card

FlaGrl4Evr

I'm cruising with a friend that has a resident green card and a passport from another country. I am a US Citizen with an American Passport.

Will we be separated at check-in an/or at debarkation ? If so, will I be able to go along with my friend to do embark and debark ?....We are both on the same boarding pass.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

🛳🛳

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

I'm cruising with a friend that has a resident green card and a passport from another country. I am a US Citizen with an American Passport.

Will we be separated at check-in an/or at debarkation ? If so, will I be able to go along with my friend to do embark and debark ?....We are both on the same boarding pass.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

🛳🛳

You don't even need a passport to cruise. All you need is a state ID. The passport and green card is needed only if you missed the ship and need to fly and catch it at another port or need to fly home. You both can use your state ID.

You don't even need a passport to cruise. All you need is a state ID. The passport and green card is needed only if you missed the ship and need to fly and catch it at another port or need to fly home. You both can use your state ID.

Hi there

If you are not a U.S. citizen you need a passport to re-enter the U.S.

Hi FlaGrl,

You won't be separated from your friend at embarkation. I remember seeing separate lines for customs/immigration at debarkation in the past, but I haven't seen that for many years. Same big line for everybody.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Hi there

Hi FlaGrl,

You won't be separated from your friend at embarkation. I remember seeing separate lines for customs/immigration at debarkation in the past, but I haven't seen that for many years. Same big line for everybody.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Thank you Nic6318. 😊

My wife just came back from girls only Caribbean cruise with 3 friends which are green card holders. There is separate line for green card holders and non US citizen when you debark. She just went with them and had no problem even with US passport. Green card holders must have a passport from their original country to re-enter US. Also please find out if the countries you're visiting on your cruise are not requiring visa for your friend with green card, since they're non US citizens. Citizens of some countries need visa to visit some of the islands.

I travelled in November on the Magic from Port Canaveral (closed loop cruise) I have a Green card and the rest of the family (my husband and four children) are all American citizens. I did everything in the same line with them we were never separated. I did not need my passport ( although it was in my bag if needed) as it is a closed loop cruise and I had my Green Card with me, that is all I needed (a state ID is only good for American citizens). If I was flying out of the country I would need a passport to return, but for a cruise that leaves and returns to the same port in the USA I did not. This was my experience at Port Canaveral not sure if every port is the same.

Thank you everyone for the helpful information.

I have cruised many times before but am not familiar with this particular situation.

My friend is from Peru and we are cruising out of Tampa on a closed-loop cruise. Our only port is Cozumel.

This will be my friends very first cruise.....We are both very excited.

🛳🛳

Just one thing that others seem to have forgot: if you don't bring YOUR passport, you do need your birth certificate to prove citizenship. And the photo ID. EM

This is a great point! My entire family all had birth certificates. Also this made me think of something else that may not be clear, your friend should bring a photo ID with her Green Card. I have never had my Green Card taken from me but I have read of this happening to others so an extra form of ID is never a bad thing. A birth certificate is not required with Green Card that's only for American Citizens. Hope you have a fabulous cruise!

Edited by Cruzgurl4

I don't know if this is required anymore, but years ago my mother had to have a letter from the IRS stating she didn't owe any taxes. If you owe any money they may not let you back in. As I state this was a long time ago. I would just check with the cruise line to see what is required.

Candi

I cruised on a greencard before I became a US citizen- you must travel with your passport, so your friend is quite correct that she'll need her green card and her current passport. The DL may be all she needs to get back on the ship at the various ports, but for embarking and debark she'll need the passport.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 4 months later...
My wife just came back from girls only Caribbean cruise with 3 friends which are green card holders. There is separate line for green card holders and non US citizen when you debark. She just went with them and had no problem even with US passport. Green card holders must have a passport from their original country to re-enter US. Also please find out if the countries you're visiting on your cruise are not requiring visa for your friend with green card, since they're non US citizens. Citizens of some countries need visa to visit some of the islands.

How do you find this out?

Thank you !!

I have a US Passport and my friend is bringing the green card, Florida Driver's License and Peruvian Passport.

I think we're good to go ! 🛳

Hi there

Hi FlaGrl,

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Green Card holders Do Not need a foreign passport to enter the US, the Green Card is all that is needed, depending on citizenship a passport may be required by the countries visited on the cruise

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191/~/traveling-outside-of-the-u.s.---documents-needed-for-lawful-permanent-residents

I don't know if this is required anymore, but years ago my mother had to have a letter from the IRS stating she didn't owe any taxes. If you owe any money they may not let you back in. As I state this was a long time ago. I would just check with the cruise line to see what is required.Candi

I believe this requirement was abandoned during the Eisenhower administration.

Green Card holders Do Not need a foreign passport to enter the US, the Green Card is all that is needed, depending on citizenship a passport may be required by the countries visited on the cruise

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191/~/traveling-outside-of-the-u.s.---documents-needed-for-lawful-permanent-residents

This. And as mentioned they may need a visa to visit the countries on the itinerary. They would need to go to each country's official website to find that out.