Conquest Review 7.10.17

cthrn27

Hello. While Ihave cruised a few times, each trip feels like a new adventure. I spend a fair amount of time on these boards soaking up all the good info you provide. It not only helps to fuel my excitement, but also to mitigate some of my anxiety!! Thank you everyone.

We sailed the Conquest July 10,2017, from Fll to Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman.

Our trip began in Chicago where a torrential rain delayed our plane. Yet again, as I start most trips, I resolved to fly in the day before next time so there would be no worries…

Once we were above the storm it was clear flying to Miami. Yes, we flew in to Miami. We arrived by about 10:30 am and proceeded to the Carnival Counter in the baggage area. They checked us in for our cruise and told me that was It. Gave us our sign & sail cards, took our pics. They would call us when the shuttle arrived and then we could just walk on the ship…. I settled in for a l o n g wait. NOPE! We were on a cool, comfortable bus within 20 minutes. Hubby and I were the only passengers. The driver told us to sit upfront and we had a wonderful conversation with him for the ride to FLL. Once at FLL we were directed into the LINE. I showed my S&S card and they directed me to the next area. They kept putting usin lines and we kept being moved past them until we reached the security checkpoint. Other than that, we really did just walk on the ship. We had prearranged check in for 12- 12:30, but we did not have to wait for our area to be called and were heading for Lido deck by about 12:30.

The Conquest is a beautiful ship. I think I like it best of all with the soothing colors and slightly blurred impressionist artwork…. I loved the flowers hanging over the seats on the Promenade…and the Conquest is absolutely immaculate.

Our first stop was Guys!! The line was already long, but it moves quickly and where else do I have to be?? The pool was already full of people on VACATION! I ordered a sail away drink and I was in paradise.

Musterdrill, as always, was uncomfortable, but necessary. A brief break in the fun. The PA system was spotty at best and the crew kept talking during the address so several people in the crowd decided to talk too…

Down to theroom (Main Deck, Ocean View), and then back to the fun on deck to enjoy SailAway. Blue skies, blue water, and 5 daysof sailing ahead of me. *sigh*

Because we booked so close to sailing, only late dining was available. Yuck!! We only ate in the MDR twice: elegant night and the last night. We were lucky to get a table for 2, and hated to give up that opportunity, but 8:15 is just too late for us.

It did workout well as we were able to see all the musical shows in the Talouse laTrec Lounge. We enjoyed them all. Some would say they weren’t the BEST, but we always enjoy seeing live action. It is amazing to me that people work so hard and sing so well. We enjoyed each show.

We also got an opportunity to enjoy the 2 comedians on board: JR McCollom and Lester Bibbs. Definitely adult humor, but funny none the less…

Ocho Rios. I learned something important here. If I get off the ship I should plan an excursion. The people here are very persistent. “Want a tour?” “Want a taxi?” “know where the beach is?” “Braid your hair?” in less than 3 minutes. They walk along with you. I did not feel scared or threatened, but I couldn’t carry on a conversation or just walk. I had to hurry to step away from them. Very different from Nassau or Grand Turk.

Grand Cayman. Lesson learned and we booked a last minute excursion through the ship to the Turtle Farm. The Farm is small and it doesn’t take long to check all of it out. However, they had a snorkeling pool where people could snorkel with the fish. And, for us older folk, there was a lovely pool with deck chairs, bathrooms, and changing facilities, where we spent a pleasant couple of hours. Nearby was a small restaurant with pricey but delicious drinks and food. By pricey I mean: 1 small Pina Colada, 1 light beer, 6 (yummy) coconut shrimp $38.00. Cayman is expensive. While I had a good time, I was disappointed that the tour guide, LoveJoy, did not do any “talking” during the ride to the turtle farm. He did not point out any sights or give us any history of the island. I found that very different than most of the tours I have been on.

Sea days were fun. We went to a behind the scenes for the steak house that was free. We received free samples of many of the items and saw the chefs prepare some of the food. One of the entertainment staff narrated and of course added humorous comments throughout. We enjoyed some trivia contests and came home with 2 more ships…Lord Anthony was entertaining and had some fun and interesting facts.

Everyone on the ship was pleasant. However, I noticed that most of the staff would rather put their head down or avert their eyes than actually look at you. Passing in the hall, if I said hello, they would smile and respond, but few took the initiative to do it. This included an officer we rode the elevator with. Ifound this very unusual for Carnival, where usually they go out of their way to greet you….

Debarkation:Based on the advice of some people here, I downloaded the Passport app for debarkation. I didi have to flash the app on my phone to the attendants, but it made a big difference in quickly debarking. in fact a few commented " good job!". LOL...that and "welcome home " sounded good!

With hours to kill between debarkation & flight home, we decided to take the everglades cruise. We really enjoyed seeing the everglades and some alligators. A nice morning.

So, we loved our cruise on the Conquest and of course, can’t wait to sail again…. Let’s see…. What’s next?

Happy sailing, all!

Edited by cthrn27
typos & debarkation

Enjoyed your well-written review. We have enjoyed all of our Carnival cruises, each for a different reason, including our recent voyage on the Conquest. We learned the lesson about flying in the day before, especially in the winter, many years ago. We flew in early to visit a cousin & as we were driving to the port we found out it was snowing back home & the airport was closed. So now we always go a day early & stay at a hotel with an airport shuttle.