Thoughts on the Tryp Times Square South

ChristinaN

Are you looking at one of their family rooms?

Never been there, but the location isn't bad (Times Square South is really Penn Station Northwest from the looks of it). I've NEVER seen the types of rooms they're describing in Manhattan, so if those are what you're looking at and they're reasonable versus two rooms, I'd book it!

I checked the location and as long as your boys and you are healthy and can walk to get places, the location is fine. I wouldn't even call it Times Square but that's a good thing. Very close to the highline entrance. You can easily walk to Times Square or Empire State Building. Walk to a subway to go to museums or Financial District. The HoHo I'm sure has a stop reasonably close.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have stayed in Times Square South (upper 30s and 7th ave). We found it to be a good location. We could walk to both Rockefeller Ctr and to the Empire State Bldg. Was a good choice of hotels.

Thanks, very helpful. As long as we can walk to some of the sites and the neighbourhood is a good one then we'll be happy. We will have a vehicle which we will eventually park at the pier.

Does anyone has recommendations for sites and dining for a family? We've visited before and done the traditional tour of Statue of Liberty, Top of the Rock and The September 11 Memorial.

Parking is very costly in the city. Consider Taxi or Uber or Subway. My favorite place to eat is Becco's on 46st between 8th and 9th ave, very reasonable for NYC great pasta but I would get a reservation at least 2 or 3 weeks before hand , there special is a plate of 3 different kinds of pasta with a salad for about 20 dollars a person and its unlimited they will keep filling up your plate ( the type of pasta changes daily) also supper cheap wine by the bottle.

Get tickets for a Broadway or off Broadway show. There are a bunch of shows suitable for kids and they sell discount tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square. The Bubble show is always offered and great for kids. Museum of Natural History if only for the dinosaurs alone. But many of the other exhibits are very cool. Next door is the Hayden Planetarium if the kids are interested in astronomy. Central Park- rent bikes, rent a rowboat, take a pedicab tour or just walk around. If you like zoos there is a small zoo with an awesome penguin house in the park. I mentioned the High Line, take it down to End lots of cool restaurants there. Chinatown next to Little Italy which is now about a block but still great pastries.

Get the TKTS app and you will see what Broadway plays are on sale we had really good 50 percent off tickets for Groundhog day last month, normally see 4 or 5 plays on our visits , Beautiful is also a excellent play.

I'll second John's.

8th Avenue is a pretty nice restaurant row. I'd probably check recommendations at the hotel for specifics.One of these days I have to try Becco just because...

Juniors has a good reputation for a deli, but mostly for it's cheesecake; we're always too stuffed from pizza to try it.

Are the boys into aviation? The Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space museum won't be far (adjacent to the cruise terminal, in fact), is on a retired aircraft carrier, and has a space shuttle (and a submarine). Pretty cool place to visit with tween boys!

Also agree in Intrepid did it 2 years ago, restaurant row has a couple of places with live music and dancing besides the dozen or so restaurants . another place whole family should like is Ellens Stardust dinner, set up like a 50's dinner with ice cream sundaes etc ( also a bar) but every few minutes the waiter or waitress's will get up on a table and sing, they are out of work Broadway singers and dancers (Diner in Glee came from this concept), this is on 51st and Broadway , only problem is its now very popular with a line to get into the place. but its open from early to late