Which One to Do?

mek

I've been looking for something to do around the end of October and we would like to drive to the port. I've narrowed it down to the following two cruises sailing out of Baltimore.

Grandeur of the Seas (I have a hold on this one.)

10 nts - 3 sea days, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Labadee, 3sea days.

OV cabins are almost sold out. All I could get was an OV cabin on deck 2 at the front of the ship - not crazy about the location and the cabins only have portholes. There are some OV's available with better locations for almost $500 pp more, but IMO, way overpriced for this ship, so not interested in those or the overpriced balconies. I can get a much better location if I want to book an inside for $100 less. (Haven't been in one of those in ages.)

Pros: - I really like the itinerary and love Labadee. We will also become Diamond after this cruise.

Cons - don't love the cabin location or the portholes. Not sure I would be happy in an inside for 10 days.

Carnival Pride

8 nts - 2 sea days, Nassau, Half Moon, Grand Turk, 2 sea days.

I can get a balcony in a great location for roughly $150 less than the OV I have booked on Grandeur.

Pros - I like the itinerary and have never made it to Half Moon after three tries,(all weather related), so it would be great to finally go there. I would rather have a balcony than an OV or inside. 2.0 upgrades to dining venues are great. Love Guys.

Cons - I don't like what Carnival currently considers to be "entertainment." The game shows are terrible and I don't love the Playlist Production numbers, but it's been a while since I've seen them, so they might be better the second time around. Not a huge fan of Punchliners either. (And I really do enjoy adult humor - just think the material is generally weak.) I'm afraid we will have to entertain ourselves considerably more on Carnival than Royal.

I think food on both lines is generally the same, but with the new additions to Pride, it probably has the edge.

Been to all of the ports on both itineraries, (except Half Moon and Falmouth), numerous times, so that isn't a factor.

Can't decide which one to do!

Edited by mek

I would have a hard time deciding. I lean toward the carnival cruise to have a balcony which is important to me. Also you will have the 2.0 upgrades. If u could get the balcony on the RC I would go for the longer cruise.

Either way sounds like a good vacation.

This is a tough one. I'm not familiar with either ship, but what does each ship have or lack that's the most important or could be a deal breaker? For me it's the dining options followed by the ports. Is there enough on each ship for you to do on all those sea days? I'm only platinum so I don't know what the diamond benefits will offer in the future.

Edited by sauvichick

For me I would probably choose the RC Grandeur cruise.... It is 2 days longer, has 4 ports of call instead of 3, and I am only in my stateroom to sleep and shower really so the type of room isn't that important to me.

Now, I have never traveled Carnival so I really cant compare, good luck with your decision and happy cruising.

I probably should have added that I'm also getting a $100 OBC on Grandeur.

If I go ahead with the Grandeur cruise, I have two questions.

If I keep the OV with the not so great location/portholes and another cabin in the same category becomes available after final payment, will Royal let me switch at no cost even if the cabin price has changed? I've done this a couple of times with Princess, but never have had an occasion to do it with Royal, so not sure if it's something I can do with them.

If I book an inside with a better location, will it really be much different than the OV with portholes? From what I've gathered, the portholes aren't located on the wall where I can stand next to them but rather at the end of a tunnel type area. I tried to find a few photos of this type of cabin with no luck.

If you book carnival you'll still have to do 2 RCI cruises to enjoy diamond benefits. Don't waste it get your D now.

If I take this cruise I will be Diamond and I already have Serenade OTS booked for March, so I would be able to enjoy the benefits on that one.

I would have a hard time deciding. I lean toward the carnival cruise to have a balcony which is important to me. Also you will have the 2.0 upgrades. If u could get the balcony on the RC I would go for the longer cruise.

Either way sounds like a good vacation.

Unfortunately, balconies are $1800 pp on Grandeur , roughly $1000 more pp than the OV I have booked. For that price, I can get a much better, newer ship somewhere else.

We just returned from an Alaska cruise tour in June, so we are just trying to squeeze something in between now and the holidays that isn't expensive. The fact that we have the option to drive to Baltimore makes both of these cruises very appealing and I can always pick up air if a great deal pops up.

Edited by mek

What guarantee do you have to get to Half moon now?

LOL - I said that to DH last night. We don't have a great track record there and it is still hurricane season.

LOL - I said that to DH last night. We don't have a great track record there and it is still hurricane season.

Take the OV on Grandeur. We did a low deck, forward OV on Enchantment over Easter and it was a fine cabin.

We just returned from an Alaska cruise tour in June, so we are just trying to squeeze something in between now and the holidays that isn't expensive.

LOL! Can't wait to get to that point in my life when I can call a ten day cruise something to squeeze in. ;) I'd pick Grandeur for days and itinerary. Good luck.

I'd stick with Grandeur for the extra days and the reaching Diamond after the cruise. I wouldn't have any issue with an OV for 10 days. I don't think I'd give up the OV to go to an interior for only $100 savings over 10 days unless the OV you have is really in a particularly known bad/noisy spot. I like the Royal itinerary better than the Pride as well.

I'd stick with Grandeur for the extra days and the reaching Diamond after the cruise. I wouldn't have any issue with an OV for 10 days. I don't think I'd give up the OV to go to an interior for only $100 savings over 10 days unless the OV you have is really in a particularly known bad/noisy spot. I like the Royal itinerary better than the Pride as well.

Oh, the price isn't a factor - just much better locations on the ship are available for the insides. Just mentioned the $100 price difference as a point of reference. I would gladly pay a little more for a balcony, just not $1K pp - yikes!

Oh, the price isn't a factor - just much better locations on the ship are available for the insides. Just mentioned the $100 price difference as a point of reference. I would gladly pay a little more for a balcony, just not $1K pp - yikes!

Our forward OV was cabin 3520. Large ocean view, category H. I guess it didn't have portholes after all

1438613899211.jpg.0c124a714def7cb80463f3c0138ff689.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your opinions! We decided to go on Grandeur and will hope that another cabin opens up so we can switch. If not, I guess we'll have a new experience!

I thought we were going to drive to Baltimore, but found RT air for $163 RT on Delta - too good to pass up! It's all coming together - :)