Loyalty programs on other lines

moki'smommy

OK, in fairness, I'm exploring other lines due to DCL's high costs and continued reductions in various benefits, more "additional charge" items, etc.

One of the things that has amazed me is the significantly better loyalty programs that some other lines offer. Obviously, I don't qualify for them at this point, but it makes for interesting reading. Some other lines have a dual program that considers both number of cruises and number of nights on board. They all include things like priority check in and boarding (which costs them nothing), but also things like free internet packages, free onboard laundry, complimentary beverages, cabin upgrades, etc. Some lines offer OBC to stockholders in their company.

In a world where DCL dropped their rebooking on board OBC from $350 to $200 for platinum and our benefits basically amount to a trip to Palo, it is just "food for thought."

Yes, I do know that the other lines will cost me about $8 per day for the soda package...but even there, some of those include smoothies and milkshakes in their package!

We've only done three DCL cruises so far, but are Diamond on Royal. The benefits can be nice, but I honestly don't pay that much attention. The loyalty "gift" last time was some shortbread cookies. Yawn. (The last real gift we received were Crown and Anchor Society baseball caps, which were too small for my head! My head isn't THAT big!) We do get a separate waiting area upon check-in, which is nice. Free photo per person. Some free drinks or something, but we don't drink anyway so it doesn't matter. What is also nice is that their sister line(s) recognize loyalty levels to a certain extent. As a Diamond level cruiser on Royal, I am automatically Elite on Celebrity.

In general, based on various forums Princess' loyalty program seems to have the best rep. That said, honestly I can't say I would ever choose any line based on their loyalty program unless I expected to reach the super top tiers fairly quickly...

Princess has the best loyalty program: and the things you reference all apply to them. You get free internet and priority boarding at >5 cruises and add in free laundry, mini-bar setup and priority tendering at >15 cruises. The OBC begins with >20 cruises. You can also do it by days cruised, so taking 5 30-day cruises will get you to the top in a hurry.

Celebrity is the other line with which we have high status, but you don't get much until you get to Elite (used to be 4-10 cruises, depending, but they recently changed the system and you have to cruise a lot more to get there now). At Elite you get 90 minutes of internet and 1 free bag of laundry per cruise, plus an evening free cocktail hour.

Still, all of these are things we use. We cruise Princess most often, so we really enjoy the benefits there, and we miss it when we're on other lines and don't have these things (particularly the internet and laundry) available to us.

Yes, Princess' 'Ultimate Soda & More' drink package is about $8 per day. But that's $56 on a 7 day cruise, which is nothing when you compare the cost savings to not taking Disney. And the soda package is good everywhere onboard, including bars, and includes mocktails, milkshakes and hot chocolate from the coffee bar. Celebrity's soda package (just soda) is about $9 per day, but you can get cans and they're unopened. That means you can grab cans onboard and take them onshore for the day, which is a huge advantage. It is also good anywhere on the ship. I think they have a $12 per day 'soda + more' package that includes mocktails, bottled water, specialty teas, etc., but I haven't purchased that one, so I'm not as familiar with it.

• 3 weeks later...
Disney doesn't really need a loyalty program yet they have one anyway.

This. I think the only reason they have it is so they're not the odd duck out, and it gives them a cheap and easy way to put a Disney mark on things. The gift waiting in your room is a nice touch, even if the stuff they give you is super cheap quality. Still a nice welcome tho.

I also never book based on the loyalty programs. That said, Princess is remarkably easy to advance and pretty generous. I know I have one more booking before they got computerized. One of these days, I'll ask them to look because then the next Princess cruise I take will let me get a free internet package. :)

I'm at the top tier or close to it on every major cruise line. Royal Caribbean/Celebrity are the best IMO because they include free cocktails every evening and some free Internet. Princess & Cunard come in second with mini-bar set up and some free Internet. Carnival and NCL have free laundry (one bag) but not much else. HAL is probably the worst. You get almost nothing even at the highest levels. NCL and Disney are somewhere in between. Most have priority embarkation and disembarkation but sometimes the lines are longer than the regular lines and more and more people become higher tier status with these past passenger programs. Some discounts at the shops are sometimes included and NCL gives a free dinner for two at Le Bistro with a bottle of wine (pretty nice perk).

At the end of the day I like the perks, but as you can see they don't keep me loyal to any particular line. I like cruising them all and the past passenger benefits have no bearing on which line I will sail next.

To me, just the regular Disney product so outshines the majority of competition that even with relatively no past passenger benefits I still feel more special than most of the other lines. That feeling is priceless and a major reason why I love DCL so much!

With Cunard Platinum (after 7 voyages) you get priority embarkation/disembarkation

free internet (6 hours)

20% off laundry & dry cleaning

complimentary wine tasting (about 4 or 5 glasses)

A World Club party with passed apps & free drinks

A Senior officers party with passed apps & free drinks

20% off white Star luggage

To me that seems like a lot for only 7 voyages.

The Diamond (after 15 voyages) you get more free internet added & a meal at the alternative restaurant; They actually have very nice lapel pins for each level which you get.

I think they have a great loyalty program; I also have gotten some serious discounts and upgrades from them (Britannia to Grills class, which would be the equivalent of bumping someone from a Verandah to concierge, also have received free junior suite to full suite upgrades). That is more important than any little freebie which you get on board.

They really reward loyalty. Strange that Carnival does not seem to, as Cunard is owned by Carnival.

This will be my 4th cruise with Disney, it seems to take a lot of effort to reach any sort of status, but I always just kind of regard the loyalty program as a perk and not something to which I am entitled. I did get a nice little beach bag last time so we'll see what I get in a few weeks