Meds on our cruise

amberjohn

Pill boxes and iPhone apps are solutions in search of a problem where none typically exists.

It's not terribly difficult to carry a half dozen or more prescription bottles onto a ship for a week -- particularly when you consider all the other crap you're lugging on there.

It isn't about whether or not law enforcement are "looking" for you and your pills. It's about being potentially delayed and mucking around for hours, or having your medications taken away from you entirely -- a prospect which could be hazardous, as Budget Queen points out above.

I'm going to be the opposite from what everyone else has said - I make my mom take all the bottles. She hates me for it :). But technically, when you return to the U.S. and go through US Customs, if they were to search your bags (which is rare but happens) and they find a bunch of pills - you could be in some trouble and at the very least delayed - the reason is that they have to be able to identify them and technically they are supposed to be in a proper prescription bottle labelled properly and bearing your name.

I know it's a hassle and it takes up space - especially with 9 bottles, but if you want to be safe, not sorry and be on the side of caution, I'd take the bottles. Just my 2 cents. Either way, enjoy your cruise :)

I asked my pharmacist before my cruise for his recommendation. He recommended taking the bottles. When I got refills the month of the cruise, I kept the old bottles to use for the trip and only took what I needed plus 3 days' worth just in case.

Edited by WoodsDrive

I asked my pharmacist before my cruise for his recommendation. He recommended taking the bottles. When I got refills the month of the cruise, I kept the old bottles to use for the trip and only took what I needed plus 3 days' worth just in case.

That's what I do too. Works great and I'm totally legal. Easy for me, easy for Customs to verify.

Everyone's happy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

...and technically they are supposed to be in a proper prescription bottle labelled properly and bearing your name.

From the U.S. CBP site -

Can I travel with medications and medical devices, such as needles or oxygen tanks?

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

I agree keeping meds in original bottles is probably a good idea when traveling abroad, but your statement " they are supposed to be in a proper prescription bottle..." is not accurate. Yes, CBP does recommend it, but a recommendation is all it is. It is not the law. The law only says you must provide proof of prescription. A label will suffice.

Separate from that is the law making it illegal to carry outside the original container regardless of whether you have a script or not.

I can only assume you live in a state with that written in the statutes. However, there is no such federal law.

It's not terribly difficult to carry a half dozen or more prescription bottles onto a ship for a week -- particularly when you consider all the other crap you're lugging on there. ....

We do not take over the door organizers, pop-up hampers, battery operated tea lights, clock, or most of the other items on those lists. Besides, that would be in checked luggage anyway. Meds should be in a carryon. But to add to change of clothes and an ipad in a backpack 19 pill bottles that are 4" high and 2" in circumference plus two bottles fatter and taller is a bit much, especially when already carrying a CPAP case and a purse. Can't get smaller pill bottles from pharmacy since that is the only size used for the 90 day supply. Can't change pharmacies. V.A.

Unless you've had to take that many large size pill bottles with you without help (DH walks with cane), don't make comments about how it's not difficult to take Rx bottles aboard.

I agree keeping meds in original bottles is probably a good idea when traveling abroad, but your statement " they are supposed to be in a proper prescription bottle..." is not accurate. Yes, CBP does recommend it, but a recommendation is all it is. It is not the law. The law only says you must provide proof of prescription. A label will suffice.

Maybe it's different at my pharmacy, but we don't get "copies" of our prescriptions - no human could read my DR s chicken scratch anyway! Lol. The only label we get is the one attached to the pill bottle. Perhaps it's different in the US and you can get other paperwork. For me, that would be much more time consuming and difficult than to just follow their recommendation of keeping them in their proper containers.

Anyways - the OP now has lots of feedback and options. Hope they choose what's best for them and have an awesome vacation :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Maybe it's different at my pharmacy, but we don't get "copies" of our prescriptions - no human could read my DR s chicken scratch anyway! Lol. The only label we get is the one attached to the pill bottle. Perhaps it's different in the US and you can get other paperwork. For me, that would be much more time consuming and difficult than to just follow their recommendation of keeping them in their proper containers.

Anyways - the OP now has lots of feedback and options. Hope they choose what's best for them and have an awesome vacation :)

Yeah, it's pretty simple here. The pharmacist can print extra labels upon request. In fact, most prescriptions come with a separate label, usually stapled to the instruction sheet or bag.

NMLady,

I'm in one of those states where meds have to be in a bottle w/ a prescription label. I also lug a CPAP too and I take 9 or 10 prescriptions at a given time. Even if my pills only come in the big bottle, my pharmacist will print a label on a small extra bottle that I can transfer some of my pills into. That said, I don't usually bother getting the smaller bottles. I can actually fit most of the bottles (except the largest one of horse sized pills) into the CPAP bag, right on top of the machine and then I have all of my medical stuff in one place. Have you tried that? I didn't think they would fit but they did.

Boy do I wish that you were correct, but as a public defender in one of the largest cities in the US, my case load tells a much different story.

The issue is that all prescription drugs are contraband without a script if on the federal schedule. Separate from that is the law making it illegal to carry outside the original container regardless of whether you have a script or not.

I'm not talking about TV, rather real world experience. Hopefully you never have issues, I personally would not risk it.

Certain controlled substances that must be prescribed in order to legally possess. But that is not the same as being required to keep it in the labeled container from the pharmacy.

If you are in a state other than CT, can you provide the statutory cite for the requirement of a pharmacy labeled container?

Hello,

We are cruising on the Dawn in 2 weeks. My wife takes 9 pills a day.

She doesn't want to take all the pill bottles on the ship with us. Has anyone had a problem taking a pill box (box that has a slot for each day of the week) on the cruise with them?

thanks

If she takes any narcotics she needs to take the original prescription bottle, but for typical blood pressure, cholesterol, arthritis, etc. drugs she will be fine. It is always a good idea to have copies of the prescriptions along, either on paper or electronically.

We always take our medication in the bottle we get from the pharmacist. We also always take extra, like a full Rx.

If your medication is filled in say 90 day supplies and its a large bottle ask the pharmacist to make up a small bottle of it for you.

Its not worth the risk of having any issues. It will take up less space than a pair of shoes.

A very good idea - I will do that in the future, especially for my 20-days cruise next April (long cruise = more medication). I usually only bring with me a few small "week-containers" for the various medications I have to take every day, plus a list from my doctor or pharmacy identifying each and every one of them. None of my medicine are painkillers or "dangerous drugs" though. If that was the case, then I would certainly pack it in original bottles with the "prescription sticker" on it.

NMLady,

I'm in one of those states where meds have to be in a bottle w/ a prescription label. I also lug a CPAP too and I take 9 or 10 prescriptions at a given time. Even if my pills only come in the big bottle, my pharmacist will print a label on a small extra bottle that I can transfer some of my pills into. That said, I don't usually bother getting the smaller bottles. I can actually fit most of the bottles (except the largest one of horse sized pills) into the CPAP bag, right on top of the machine and then I have all of my medical stuff in one place. Have you tried that? I didn't think they would fit but they did.

Your CPAP case must have more room. Our case fits snugly over the CPAP. No room for even a small aspirin bottle. There is an adjoining pocket for the face mask and hose. We also keep the chin strap and an extension cord in there. No room for pill bottles. That is all the CPAP case will hold.

Edited by NMLady

Your CPAP case must have more room. Our case fits snugly over the CPAP. No room for even a small aspirin bottle. There is an adjoining pocket for the face mask and hose. We also keep the chin strap and an extension cord in there. No room for pill bottles. That is all the CPAP case will hold.

I have this bag:

https://www.respshop.com/images/pr-system-one-cpap-machine-travel-bag-1063857.jpg

The CPAP w/ humidifier go in first on the bottom. There is a little divider so it is snug. On the side of the divider is a slot for the power supply. The top of the bag zippers off and under the top is a pocket for the hose. My mask and headgear go in the little drawstring bag on top of the power supply. I then just carefully layer the pill bottles on top of the machine, sometimes in a separate pouch.

This gets more complicated if I'm traveling with my CPAP battery though. I then have that giant thing, plus the separate power cord to connect that to the CPAP and the other power cord to charge it. I can't fit all of that in the CPAP bag.

This is my first time cruising with a CPAP though I have flown with it countless times. Do you bring your battery on the cruise or just an extension cord? I kind of like the idea of having the battery for emergency back up but it is a heavy thing to lug if I don't need it. Sorry to threadjack.