Disappointed with Viking

dalgirl

I agree with you.

as consumers we lose some of our power once we pay.

despite the fact we may not always get what we pay for, the only option is to prepay, albeit time periods vary for advance payment.

it will not happen but imagine if payment was at the end of the cruise like other travel hotels etc.

after paying a premium price we arrive and they say no cruise we are bussing. no lovely room and service, we are going to a so so hotel, with take it or leave it food.

I think the response from the cruise passengers and operators would be quite different if passengers had the option of withdrawing then. at present there is no opt out of unsatisfactory contingency plans. its take it or leave it.

mindful of the reality chose your provider carefully, once paid up its too late. buyer beware.

I think it's fairly recent that Viking has come out with Canadian pricing. When we booked our Nov/15 cruise in Jun/14, it was quoted in USD. We were able to get final payment deferred to Dec/14. That actually bit us in the butt as the CAD went down and the cruise cost us an extra C$700/person by Dec/14, due to the exchange difference. Now we're about 90 days from sailing, and the CAD has tanked even more. I'm quite thankful we made our final payment so far in advance.

Also from Canada..we booked an April 2015 cruise in Dec 2014 and paid in Dec 2014 with an 87 cent dollar and yes, paid in full 5 months ahead,

Was not happy with the 5 months ahead full payment but hind sight being 20/20, the 87 cent dollar looks pretty darn good.:rolleyes:

Yes 'trading' is something else and we Canadians just learn to suck it up and deal with the rise and fall of our oil soaked loonie' :eek:.

Ok, so, I am an economist. If you are wanting to speculate in currency.... then when you know when to buy you buy. When you need to sell you sell... That has absolutely nothing to do with paying for a cruise in advance. That is speculation, aka, gambling. My stock holdings went down several percent the last few days, had I known a week ago, I good have sold them turned them into something that won this week, and made a fortune.... That is called trading.

We generally don't know our national currency is going to inflate or devalue...

I am speaking of general practices, ceterus parabus (all things being equal) I would rather not give you my money today for something I will buy 14 months from now.

How many of you would pay a roofer to roof your house today, with him planning to reroof your house next August....? I am not signing up for that deal. Hey, but that is just me.... think how awesome it would be next August when the roofer declared bankruptcy in June...

Caveat emptor.... buyer beware.

jc

I do agree with you. I was speaking with hindsight but didn't make that very clear, apparently. And, having worked in insolvency for the better part of two decades, I am well aware of the risks in paying so far in advance. In this instance I was okay with the level of risk. With the roofer in your example, not so much.

I would not pay for anything eighteen months in advance. The American dollar may decline soon but I do not feel a need to hedge my bets and start buying things.

Oceania and other lines with lengthy sailings require payment in full five to six months out. That is reasonable because it is harder to replace a cancelation for a 25 day trip verses a 7 day trip.

FYI, Viking dumps a fair amount of product on some of the big box travel web sites, especially their 14 nighters. We had flexibility last summer and booked one two weeks out for a fabulous price.

I would not pay for anything eighteen months in advance. The American dollar may decline soon but I do not feel a need to hedge my bets and start buying things.

Oceania and other lines with lengthy sailings require payment in full five to six months out. That is reasonable because it is harder to replace a cancelation for a 25 day trip verses a 7 day trip.

FYI, Viking dumps a fair amount of product on some of the big box travel web sites, especially their 14 nighters. We had flexibility last summer and booked one two weeks out for a fabulous price.

Well, that's great for you. However, some of us aren't so flexible in our schedules. Also, we tend to book our own flights, on points, and to get what we want, we need to book almost a year in advance. BTW, we also need to pay for those flights (taxes, etc.) at the time of booking so I really do not have the same abhorrence to Viking charging in full so far in advance that others do. I protect myself with insurance and making my purchases through a premium credit card.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Well, that's great for you. However, some of us aren't so flexible in our schedules. Also, we tend to book our own flights, on points, and to get what we want, we need to book almost a year in advance. BTW, we also need to pay for those flights (taxes, etc.) at the time of booking so I really do not have the same abhorrence to Viking charging in full so far in advance that others do. I protect myself with insurance and making my purchases through a premium credit card.

Exactly! I did my research - I knew what I wanted - and I have to pay for it before the cruise anyway. I'd rather just have it out of the way. I'm fairly certain Viking is going to be here next summer. I know anything can happen, but I think it's fairly certain. The roofer I wouldn't be so sure about. :)

When I booked in January 2015 for a December 2015 trip I was asked to pay the balance by April 1st, but if I needed more time all I needed was to ask.

Also, while other lines may not require full payment that far in advance, they offer incentives to pay early and by e-check. Vantage for example offered I think 10% if I paid in full by November 2015 for a May 2017 trip. That was 18 months in advance.

So, in the world of discounting, I am liable to sucumb to a pay now and get a 10% discount. Since the bank is paying me 1% to hold my money.

that said, if they go bankrupt I am out 100%, so I need to succesfully take 10 trips to break even... Your money, is worth morth than the cruise... hence the discounts.

jc

So, in the world of discounting, I am liable to sucumb to a pay now and get a 10% discount. Since the bank is paying me 1% to hold my money.

that said, if they go bankrupt I am out 100%, so I need to succesfully take 10 trips to break even... Your money, is worth morth than the cruise... hence the discounts.

jc

Or you can use the discount savings to pay for travel insurance, which protects against supplier default as well as a host of other coverages. But the major difference is between those lines that give you the choice, and the majority that don't (either by demanding payment up front, or offering no discount for early payment).

Or you can use the discount savings to pay for travel insurance, which protects against supplier default as well as a host of other coverages. But the major difference is between those lines that give you the choice, and the majority that don't (either by demanding payment up front, or offering no discount for early payment).

Vantage gives you a discount for early payment that slides downward up to the date of final payment and you get a discount for paying on time!

All this talk of early payment, ePayment just screams "remember" Tom Harper Cruises who demanded payment far far in advance and provided Travel Insurance (that was worthless) to their passengers. Most lost every cent and are now nothing more than a name at the end of a very long list in a Bankruptcy filing!

-Don't pay upfront

-Don't buy Travel Ins from the vendor

- Don't pay by eCheck

DO DO buy travel insurance from an outside vendor not being sold by the cruiseline.

Note: many or most TH passengers had travel insurance offered thru TH and was worthless due to TH defaulting.

All this talk of early payment, ePayment just screams "remember" Tom Harper Cruises who demanded payment far far in advance and provided Travel Insurance (that was worthless) to their passengers. Most lost every cent and are now nothing more than a name at the end of a very long list in a Bankruptcy filing!

-Don't pay upfront

-Don't buy Travel Ins from the vendor

- Don't pay by eCheck

DO DO buy travel insurance from an outside vendor not being sold by the cruiseline.

Note: many or most TH passengers had travel insurance offered thru TH and was worthless due to TH defaulting.

I get the impression that JvilleGal does not like Viking, will never travel with Viking and thinks that those that do, are bordering on being town fools.

Yes TH went out of business; but so do stores leaving people with worthless GCs; so do banks; heck even countries go into economic down turns.

Personal experience is always valuable and welcomed here on CC but of Viking's tens of thousands of passengers, MOST have had a wonderful trip. We all know about those that haven't because many end up here on CC and sometimes, their issues are resolved to their satisfaction. Sometimes not.

Whether an experienced traveller or a newbie, the words of advice should always be 'research and do your homework'. Use a good TA if you feel unsure but just as in life, there are no guarantees.

But to continually beat the DONT USE VIKING DRUM, gets tiresome and I think unfair.

I get the impression that JvilleGal does not like Viking, will never travel with Viking and thinks that those that do, are bordering on being town fools.

Yes TH went out of business; but so do stores leaving people with worthless GCs; so do banks; heck even countries go into economic down turns.

Personal experience is always valuable and welcomed here on CC but of Viking's tens of thousands of passengers, MOST have had a wonderful trip. We all know about those that haven't because many end up here on CC and sometimes, their issues are resolved to their satisfaction. Sometimes not.

Whether an experienced traveller or a newbie, the words of advice should always be 'research and do your homework'. Use a good TA if you feel unsure but just as in life, there are no guarantees.

But to continually beat the DONT USE VIKING DRUM, gets tiresome and I think unfair.

Actually I am always pleased to hear satisfied cruisers reporting they had a wonderful experience with Viking. What I can't accept is their required payment up front a year or more out AND what I see as "Deceptive" dealing with folks sailing (Elbe non cruises) during these low water/no water issues.

As to the post you quoted, I believe that is excellent advice no matter who you cruise with. I certainly do not believe the folks on this board are Fools, only the folks who did not do their due diligence prior to booking.

Viking is likely single handedly responsible for the explosion of River cruising today for travelers from North America. Their glorious TV Ads on the PBS station are incredible.

There are many personal reasons I will not cruise Viking, but when things go well on a Viking cruise they deliver a great product!

Joyous travels, I sail in 16 days :)

Edited by JVilleGal

I agree. From what I see, they have a lot of satisfied customers - far more than not. And from my experience, those dissatisfied customers make the loudest noise. :)

We booked a Viking river cruise for June 2016 and our final payment is due 90 days prior. Are the payment policies different for Viking River Cruises Canada?

We are in the US and only have a deposit for June 2016 cruise.

The invoice from our TA has balance due end of December.