QM2 gratuities

bubbe2005

Last year on a 28 day cruise we kept the auto tip in place. We also gave envelopes to those who had given us wonderful service. We were somewhat stunned and very upset that the maitre d' in Princess Grills was seemingly insulted by that. Our envelope did not contain a great deal of money but it contained money all the same.

As a result we have decided that PG will not be our choice in future and I have booked an Oceanview for next year's crossing. The money saved will be spent in the Specialty restaurants. We will NOT be removing the gratuity however and will continue to give envelopes for outstanding service.

Last year on a 28 day cruise we kept the auto tip in place. We also gave envelopes to those who had given us wonderful service. We were somewhat stunned and very upset that the maitre d' in Princess Grills was seemingly insulted by that. Our envelope did not contain a great deal of money but it contained money all the same.

How did you know he was insulted? Did he say something?

I think it's obvious that the staff would not be told what is confidential information about passengers accounts.

20% doesn't really surprise me. Auto gratuities are a bad idea, particularly with Europeans, many of whom have never accepted having to virtually pay part of the wages of the staff. Personally I would like to see the percentage rise to a level where the cruise lines have to abandon the practice.

And we can be certain I think that those cancelling have no intention of giving anything but a token amount in the last night envelope.

David.

But wouldn't the staff would need to know which passengers remove the auto-tip since they are apparently required to pool any cash tips they receive from auto-tip removers? -S.

If I where running Cunard, I'd not disclose the persons who removed the Autotip for one reason:

The Steward/Waiter/etc. would be pretty much demotivated and this will very much likely and understandably influence his/her performance in a bad way.

Which will then lead to more complaints and unhappy passengers who have paid at least Cunards's part of the money (and at the end of the day - that's what they really care for).

I personally think that personal tips are treated as personal tips and have not to be pooled - no matter if the Autotip has been removed or not.

Everything else would be complicated and result in poorer performance by the staff.

Edited by Yoshikitty

How did you know he was insulted? Did he say something?

Actually he said nothing,

He went from being incredibly generous and solicitous to totally ignoring us and turning away when he saw us.

He went from acting as if he wanted to become our best friend to treating us as if we were carriers of the plague.

It was most disconcerting.

If I where running Cunard, I'd not disclose the persons who removed the Autotip for one reason:

The Steward/Waiter/etc. would be pretty much demotivated and this will very much likely and understandably influence his/her performance in a bad way.

Which will then lead to more complaints and unhappy passengers who have paid at least Cunards's part of the money (and at the end of the day - that's what they really care for).

I personally think that personal tips are treated as personal tips and have not to be pooled - no matter if the Autotip has been removed or not.

Everything else would be complicated and result in poorer performance by the staff.

If passengers remove the auto-tip because they tip the staff directly in cash as many claim to do, then presumably wouldn't the stewards/waiters, etc. be motivated to provide the standard of service that would result in increased cash gratuity, especially if it went directly into their pocket rather than the 'pool'?

Also to provide less than standard service regardless of gratuity could result in poor performance ratings which could result in non-renewal of their contract.

Frankly, I wish Cunard provided more specific information about the distribution of the auto-tips and informed passengers of the official policy regarding cash tips given after the auto-tip is removed. -S.

Edited by Salacia

As a result we have decided that PG will not be our choice in future and I have booked an Oceanview for next year's crossing. The money saved will be spent in the Specialty restaurants. We will NOT be removing the gratuity however and will continue to give envelopes for outstanding service.

A PG Maitre d' told me he was embarrassed to receive envelopes because he was well paid and didn't need the money whereas many of the staff were very poorly paid and could have done with the money. Perhaps he was embarrassed that he might have been seen receiving one so he kept out of the way in case you tried to give him more!

This thread has drifted a lot from the OP's initial statement: "So I read that $11 PP, per day is automatically charged to your onboard account, and as we are 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) that's $44 per day, $308 for 7 days..do I have a choice to remove this option?"

Post #71 copied a long description on the history of tipping crew members and why it persists to this day. However Brucemuzz's last statement sums it up, ..."I still agree with you that some sort of change is desperately needed. But nobody seems to be able to come up with a change that will make the situation better - unless you and I are able to convince your fellow cruisers to pay a 100% surcharge on their cruise fare."

When somebody questions $308 for 7 days of caring for a family of four, or one cancels and re-books to save $20 ("That's two drinks!" the poster explained) the current system isn't likely to change anytime soon.:(

Personally, I'd really have to have had horrible treatment from multiple crew members to be motivated to remove autotips. If it involved bad service from an individual crew member that person wouldn't get an envelope before disembarkation. (In my voyages last month the stewards on each crossing got different amounts - because one gave me better service than the other.)

BTW - the OP hasn't posted at all since starting this tread. Most newbies aren't aware that smoking, tipping, and the dress code are hot button topics.

Edited by BlueRiband

Partial quote

...Personally, I'd really have to have had horrible treatment from multiple crew members to be motivated to remove autotips. If it involved bad service from an individual crew member that person wouldn't get an envelope before disembarkation...

Blue Riband, I agree with you. I've never had a reason to remove the auto tips, plus there's always been staff members who I felt deserved additional gratuities.

The system isn't perfect, but until such time as someone comes up with a better system, to me it seems compliance is the prudent course - although I do understand that opinions differ. One thing that is certain: the immediate effect of passengers removing the auto-tip and/or not tipping at all means that the staff's income will fall. -S.

A PG Maitre d' told me he was embarrassed to receive envelopes because he was well paid and didn't need the money whereas many of the staff were very poorly paid and could have done with the money. Perhaps he was embarrassed that he might have been seen receiving one so he kept out of the way in case you tried to give him more!

Thank you for posting that. I had not thought of it that way. I really appreciate your input.

We did tip our server and her assistants very well in addition to the auto tip. We also brought some specialty gifts which we had purchased when ashore for her to enjoy.

But wouldn't the staff would need to know which passengers remove the auto-tip since they are apparently required to pool any cash tips they receive from auto-tip removers? -S.

Apparently? Roumered more likely.

I always envisage a special messenger who's only job in the evenings is to run back and to from the pursers desk to the DR waiters giving the up to date information about the dissenters.

No, my on board account is for my eyes only. I would be more than somewhat miffed if anyone else had access to any part of it.

David.

Actually he said nothing,

He went from being incredibly generous and solicitous to totally ignoring us and turning away when he saw us.

He went from acting as if he wanted to become our best friend to treating us as if we were carriers of the plague.

It was most disconcerting.

Happened to us, too. Very strange, as you say.

But... I thought individual tips were turned over to the pool? So wouldn't he have been happy to receive a tip that would be widely shared with the entire staff?

Edited by alc13
clarification

But... I thought individual tips were turned over to the pool? So wouldn't he have been happy to receive a tip that would be widely shared with the entire staff?

I haven't read any official statements by Cunard on this topic, but it has been reported here by several posters that the policy is that tips must be pooled only if given by a passenger who has removed the Hotel and Dining Charge (a/k/a auto-tip).

I haven't read any official statements by Cunard on this topic, but it has been reported here by several posters that the policy is that tips must be pooled only if given by a passenger who has removed the Hotel and Dining Charge (a/k/a auto-tip).

Ah, thanks for clarifying it.

That policy does seem to lead to a big reveal of who did/didn't remove the auto-tip (the recipient gets to keep the tip once it's determined that the auto-tip was still in place). But whatever.

Personally, I like the auto-tip system (although I really hate tipping in general), and would never dream of removing it. The entire staff is sure to get compensation that way. As discussed earlier in this thread, there are tax reasons why staff might prefer tips over a salary boost, and if it brings their total compensation to something reasonable they are welcome to it, in my opinion.

Hi all,

As a firt time cruiser on Cunard, can anyone tell me if the 15% gratuity on drinks is included in the price or added afterwards.

thank you Mick & Pauline

Hi all,

As a firt time cruiser on Cunard, can anyone tell me if the 15% gratuity on drinks is included in the price or added afterwards.

thank you Mick & Pauline

Added afterwards. And your server doesn't keep the entire gratuity. It's divided among a team of people who are responsible for stocking and serving the adult beverages.

We were very recently charged $11.50 per person per day for our sheltered balcony cabin on QM2 which is the same amount as Princess Cruises I believe but more than P&O.

We would never remove our tips and on long cruises over 14 days we always tip our steward and wait team extra at the end of the cruise.

We never tip at the beginning of a cruise as we think that implies you have to pay staff extra for satisfactory service.

We never tip the Maitre D' as we believe they are on enhanced salaries as senior staff members and they should always be at the top of their game in any event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Has Cunard ever disclosed how the auto-gratuitues are split between crew that passengers have personal interaction with (cabin steward, dining room waiters) and those 'behind the scenes'? We'd much prefer to tip personally if crew wages MUST be directly topped up (a system we don't agree with whatever the tax or other rationale), but would like to know if anyone has left 'part auto grat' in place specifically and solely for behind-the-scenes crew: If so, what proportion of the daily charge?

Gwenn.

Added afterwards. And your server doesn't keep the entire gratuity. It's divided among a team of people who are responsible for stocking and serving the adult beverages.

The same applies to any service such as at the spa or beauty salon. Their rationale is that these people do not share in the general pool as not all guests use these services.

Thank you much appreciated :)

Has Cunard ever disclosed how the auto-gratuitues are split between crew that passengers have personal interaction with (cabin steward, dining room waiters) and those 'behind the scenes'? We'd much prefer to tip personally if crew wages MUST be directly topped up (a system we don't agree with whatever the tax or other rationale), but would like to know if anyone has left 'part auto grat' in place specifically and solely for behind-the-scenes crew: If so, what proportion of the daily charge?

Gwenn.

No, Gwenn, Cunard has not disclosed that information publicly. Here is Cunard's statement in answer to "How does tipping work?":

"During your voyage, you will meet staff throughout the ship who provide you with excellent service. Many more crew support those who serve you directly. A discretionary Hotel and Dining charge will be added to your shipboard account on a daily basis for each passenger (including children). This charge will be shared amongst all those who help provide and support your experience, including the waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards and others. Please note, this is a discretionary charge and should you wish to remove it or make any adjustments, you may contact the Purser’s Desk before the end of the cruise..." -copied from http://www.cunard.com/frequent-questions/

I don't know who the "and others" are that share in the H&D Charge - presumably they are behind the scenes crew members (although I don't understand why their job titles wouldn't be specified). Several cruise lines disclose information as to whom and at what daily amount the auto-tips are shared, but, alas, Cunard does not. Personally, I'd like to see Cunard change that policy.

Salacia

Posts about tipping always seem to be on here,a close friend of mine who is quite high up the chain and works on one of the 3 ships told me that even if the gratuities are removed the staff still get the money as they have a contract with the company that they are guaranteed that wage.

That's the first point out of the way,the second is even if you remove any tip and tip them in cash they get to keep it.

If you reduce the auto tip or pay above the auto tip or take it off it makes no difference to the staff as they still get the wage they have been contracted for.

Anyone who thinks this is not the case has been misinformed.

I was in the US last autumn and some hotels where printing "suggested tips" of 22% on their checks. 22% !!! If America carries on like this it will soon be that the tips are more than the initial cost. It's just a way to keep the price down and then whack it up with the tip - it's fooling no one.

Oddly, I've been to the US quite a few times and I just accept that tips are part of the US culture. But last year's holiday pushed me over the edge.

Not seen that yet here. In Canada it's on all the rest.receipts..15%/20%/25%. Be careful when paying the bill there using their bill pay machines(they bring them to your table & you pay that way)It's supposedly done this way to avoid fraud. It's really so the gov. there can monitor all tips & get their pound of flesh. The real problem is the gratuity is figured by adding the 15% sales tax to the final bill as well. Best to tip in cash up there, which we now do.

Posts about tipping always seem to be on here,a close friend of mine who is quite high up the chain and works on one of the 3 ships told me that even if the gratuities are removed the staff still get the money as they have a contract with the company that they are guaranteed that wage.

A guaranteed wage presumably to the theoretical amount of auto-tips based on the number of passengers on that particular voyage, although A PG Maitre d' told me the contract is based on a percentage of those theoretical auto-tips and not on all of them.