Honeymoon Cruise - Need Suggestions

CruiseRook91

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

My Fiance and are looking at possibly doing a cruise for our Honeymoon and I wanted to get some insight on some unique things that maybe we haven't thought of.

To give you some details:

Honeymoon would either be end of Oct 2018 or Summer of 2019.

We are looking at 7-10 days.

Anywhere in the world is basically on the table

-I looked at South Pacific but I don't love the idea of a 26 hour flight to Australia

I like to relax/beach/pool, my fiance wants some adventure and culture

Options on the ship are a must, I like different bars, dining etc.If we are going to be on it for that long I do not love the idea of going to the same bar every night.

I'd like to do a bigger, more modern, ship.

Cabin size doesn't totally matter since we don't spend a lot of time in there but I will probably book a suite if it fits the budget.

All in budget is $5,000. Willing to spend more for traveling to and from port.

Thanks in advance for any cool suggestions.

Sam

The Greek Islands would be a good choice.

My choice would be the Panama Canal, but it may be beyond the time you have allotted to travel. But if you are just looking for suggestions, a 14-15 day full transit. It is an amazing trip. Other options are partial transits which can be done in your 10 day window.

I just took a quick look at Celebrity, they have trips leaving Oct & Nov and you could get an Ocean View cabin in the $4,000 price range for the two of you.

Not bad for 15 days.

I wouldn't be opposed to a 14 day cruise but I have been on some 7 day cruises and by the end I am almost to the point where I am ready to be done.

I should point out, I am not exactly a "new cruiser" I have done probably 11 sailings. I am big Royal Caribbean fan but it's really all I know. Not so much about the other lines. I am tempted by Celebrity but a little worried it might not be as entertaining or fun.

Can you guys elaborate on the Greek Isles? What would be somethings to do?

Can't help with the actual Greek Islands trip I'm afraid, still on my to-do list.

Crashing around the web, Royal looks like they have a sweet 9 day Rome to Naples that would fit the bill.

MSC has their new Meraviglia in the Med. from August through November. There are still a few Yacht Club cabins available here and there under 5K for two which could be interesting. That would be a big ship with all the latest bells and whistles albeit a more European vibe than the RCL experience.

Air fare to Europe is the tricky bit.

Can't help with the actual Greek Islands trip I'm afraid, still on my to-do list.

Crashing around the web, Royal looks like they have a sweet 9 day Rome to Naples that would fit the bill.

MSC has their new Meraviglia in the Med. from August through November. There are still a few Yacht Club cabins available here and there under 5K for two which could be interesting. That would be a big ship with all the latest bells and whistles albeit a more European vibe than the RCL experience.

Air fare to Europe is the tricky bit.

I had never considered MSC because I don't know much about it but that yacht club experience looks amazing, the ship looks incredible. I am going to do my research on that one.

I agree a 2 week cruise is a bit much. There are only so many "options" on a ship....few have more than 1 nightclub...and how busy/jumping/rockin' it is depends on the passenger mix. The longer the cruise, the older the passengers....take that into account! Not saying we older folks can't party...because we can....but not all want to every night!

You're in Fl....sail from one of the Florida ports....easy peasy, and will save you a bundle in airfare! Do a week long Caribbean, on RCi or Carnival....they will have decent enough nightlife...they all go to the same places (so research the Caribbean ports...libraries have guidebooks), and then do what suits you newlyweds!

Carnival has the larger "standard" cabins...but craps out on "suite perks"...go with RCI if you'll be in a suite. NCL has the BEST "suite perks" going, so that could be an option, if you want a suite.

You just need to decide what is more important to you and your new wife....or if just being together is the thing!!!

Oh man I am picturing and it sounds pretty great...

Then you should think about Royal Caribbean Rhapsody - 7 days Adriatic ports and Santorini from Venice in October - which is when the weather in the Med is probably at its best. Make sure to stay a couple of days in Venice before or after.

You should do a Holland America cruise if you guys are classy people. Holland America also has really cool stops. but if your into fun and adventure on board the ship than take the Symphony of the seas it's the newest and biggest RC ship. And don't take the northern route on a cruise cause it can get really rocky and pucky and you don't want that to ruin your honeymoon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had never considered MSC because I don't know much about it but that yacht club experience looks amazing, the ship looks incredible. I am going to do my research on that one.

I've been lucky enough to visit Europe a few times and have used RCI, Princess, Costa, MSC, celebrity and will use NCL in October.

Most Mediterranean cruises have only 1 sea day on a 7 night cruise and rarely over 2.

MSC and Costa does indeed have a more European vibe and that's why I go to Europe. DW prefers the North American experience while onboard the ship. MSC magnifica is the "grandest" looking ship that we've been on.

I'm generalizing so don't me.

MSC & Costa have better food and sophisticated entertainment. Not better or worse, just different. Italian/French meals, Cirque style acts, pianist, opera singers etc. The wine is definitely of better quality/value and price as it's a staple of their meals. I've purchased amarone for $36eu which is close to USA store prices while that will get you a bottle of $10us wine on a North American ship. The service is not as pampering and sometimes off standish. English is the 3-4th announcement language.

I really don't care which lines as I book for itinerary. I try to limit sea days when I'm in Europe. I want to be in port as long as I can and treat the ship as a bed and breakfast. I have always managed to book an inside cabin for less than $100 per person per day and have received free ungrades from MSC and celebrity. Cruise and air for $4000us is my 10+ day target with up to another $1500us for 7-10 day pre/ post cruise stay. To be honest, we used the balcony twice on each cruise because we felt that we should. After a full day in port, having dinner, and watching the last show I'm just too tired. For lunch I try to sample the bakeries, street foods, and markets. DW watches for stores with lineups and orders what everyone else orders It's works for us and kind of fun. We DIY when in Greece as everyone seems to speak English. In Italy and France If you try to say a few words in the local language then they are more than willing to help. JUST DON'T SPEAK LOUDER IN English

The Rhapsody of the seas itinerary out of Venice was spectacular. Athens Dubrovnik Ephesus Olympia etc.

My upcoming cruise on the NCL spirit includes Valletta Malta which is my favourite cruise port so I'm excited.

I wish you the best in your upcoming marriage and honeymoon selection.

Edited by lamchops

I wouldn't be opposed to a 14 day cruise but I have been on some 7 day cruises and by the end I am almost to the point where I am ready to be done.

I should point out, I am not exactly a "new cruiser" I have done probably 11 sailings. I am big Royal Caribbean fan but it's really all I know. Not so much about the other lines. I am tempted by Celebrity but a little worried it might not be as entertaining or fun.

Can you guys elaborate on the Greek Isles? What would be somethings to do?

If you enjoy RCI and are interested in the Greek Isles in late Oct, my suggestions are:

7N Oct 20th Rhapsody of the Seas with 4 Greek ports - Corfu, Athens, Mykonos & Argostoli with suites starting at only $1399 per person

If it is not too early in Oct, also:

9N Oct 15th Jewel of the Seas with 3 Greek ports - Mykonos, Santorini & Athens with suites starting at $1899

For Summer of 2019 I would suggest a Baltic Cruise

Enjoy!