balcony and grill suite

brian1

Hi,could anyone tell me the difference between a balcony and a grill suite?Is it worth the money and how different is the dining experience?Cheers,Brian.

I can only report on a Princess suite! If you like a long read, check out our review:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=550894

After returning we booked a Princess suite for November, the price has now been substantially reduced, after complaining we were upgraded to a Queens Suite, so another new experience on Cunard.

Which ship? I can only address the differences on QM2. Worth the money depends on how you value the differences. We usually go in Britannia, sheltered balcony because most of our trips on QM2 are transatlantics and I think that's the best place to be on a crossing. The regular balcony cabins are the same inside, but have a glass-front balcony instead of the enclosed balcony.

We were in PG on QM2 over Christmas and it was a lovely cabin with wonderful storage space. I do love a walk-in closet! The service is definitely upgraded in the grills. I'm sure the waitstaff called us the pyromaniacs, because we were always having something flambeed tableside. You don't get that level of attention and food choice in Britannia. And, of course, there's the flexibility in dining time, although our table tended to always eat at the same time, only a bit later than early Britannia. It was expensive, but worth it to us for a special cruise.

For our upcoming TAs we're back in our little sheltered balcony. With the current sale, we're paying the same for 7 nights on QM2 as we would for a cramped coach seat on United! We've always been satisfied with food and service in Britannia, and with all the activities on board, the cabin really is just a place to sleep.

I can only report on a Princess suite! If you like a long read, check out our review:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=550894

After returning we booked a Princess suite for November, the price has now been substantially reduced, after complaining we were upgraded to a Queens Suite, so another new experience on Cunard.

Well that is a pretty good upgrade. May I suggest you make use of the "off menu" dining - it really can be very special.

Have a good trip.

The primary differences are size of the cabin (500 to 2000 square feet in QG) and the Grills dining. The Grills have a private concierge lounge with light refreshments in morning and evening, a great place to pick up a coffee or tea.

The Grills dining is a bit of a step up from the Britannia, or Britannia club. The Grills have a private bar with nightly entertainment located near the entrance to the Princess and Queens Grills, and a private deck (11 Aft. ) with hot tubs and waiter service.

Queens Grill suites have Butler service which can be very nice. And the ability to order off menu in QG Restaurant is a pleasant experience.

The question of course is it worth it? A very personal opinion, I think so. I have done it 14 times and will again this November.

These two photographs will illustrate the accommodation differences...

19672752930_2ff4469546_z.jpg

31764046355_875a16e73a_z.jpg

...while these will illustrate the dining alternatives...

19673812309_27829364e4_z.jpg

31351340610_e10a690562_z.jpg

Simple really, if you can afford it go for the Grills.

Which ship, please!

We have only sailed on Cunard once - a Southampton - NYC crossing in a Princess Grille. We are used to Neptune or Signature Suites on HAL. I fully agree that if you can afford it, take one of the Grilles. It was a lovely cabin and, perhaps more importantly, you have an updated dining room, personal concierge, and other amenities. I am now very reluctant to take a lengthy Cunard cruise in any cabin other than a Princess Grille.