Princess Cruise Progressive Check-In

paperangel

Progressive check-in is a suggestion, nothing that's mandatory. Great idea in theory, but in practice it fails miserably. Consider a bus load of passengers all arriving at once, all on different decks and having or not having Elite check in status. Does Princess seriously think only a few would be eligible to check in and the remaining passengers be forced to sit in a terminal for a few hours waiting their turn?

Darcy

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Princess would like you to come at the suggested time so as avoid excessive lines at check-in but other than at one of the terminals in Southampton, UK a few years ago, I have never read or heard of anyone being turned away for arriving before the suggested time. Incidentally people in suites and those who are Elite or Platinum in their loyalty program are totally exempt from the policy. Princess recognizes that people arrive early on planes or have to check out of their hotels usually around 11 am so it is highly unlikely you will have a problem if you arrive before the suggested time.

Progressive check-in is a suggestion, nothing that's mandatory. Great idea in theory, but in practice it fails miserably. Consider a bus load of passengers all arriving at once, all on different decks and having or not having Elite check in status. Does Princess seriously think only a few would be eligible to check in and the remaining passengers be forced to sit in a terminal for a few hours waiting their turn?

Darcy

I agree that it is a suggestion. The purpose is to try to improve the flow of the boarding process as much as possible. Slow the rush to a smooth flow for ease of handling so many passengers.

Harry

We had progressive boarding at White Bay in Sydney on our Feb. Sun cruise.

It worked well. Some people were there early and were waiting. We sat down for 15 minutes and then boarded. What was nice about it was that there was very little standing in line. We went right up to the desk, sailed through, and were on the ship in 10 minutes.

Having said that, we have never had to wait very long to board any cruise ship.

We typically show up at noon.

Sorry, I don't cruise Princess. I can tell you that Celebrity has recently been trying this (staggered boarding, according to deck), with very lukewarm success. Depending on what port you're departing from, you could get several e-mails and recorded phone messages from X, telling you what time to show up, on boarding day. But, as others have pointed out here, cruise passengers have many other factors that determine their arrival time:

-- group transfers (usually large buses), previously arranged through the cruiseline.

-- check out time at their pre-cruise hotel; does the cruiseline really expect for you to wander around town (with all of your luggage) for several hours?

-- folks who look at their itinerary and realize that they have paid for that day. Even if they can't check into their rooms yet, they want to at least be on the ship -- because they've paid to be onboard!

Edited by wwcruisers

... cruise passengers have many other factors that determine their arrival time:

-- group transfers (usually large buses), previously arranged through the cruiseline.

-- check out time at their pre-cruise hotel; does the cruiseline really expect for you to wander around town (with all of your luggage) for several hours?

-- folks who look at their itinerary and realize that they have paid for that day. Even if they can't check into their rooms yet, they want to at least be on the ship -- because they've paid to be onboard!

While all those things are true it ends up in a loose-loose situation for the cruise line. Passengers who come early for the above reasons then complain that the checkin process is horrible and why can't the cruise line do a better job. Those who live relatively nearby and want to be on at noon then make the same complaints.

But those who can come later usually benefit be being able to arrive and board within 5 minutes.

While all those things are true it ends up in a loose-loose situation for the cruise line. Passengers who come early for the above reasons then complain that the checkin process is horrible and why can't the cruise line do a better job. Those who live relatively nearby and want to be on at noon then make the same complaints.[/Quote]

I have never heard of many people complaining about the length of time to check in. They are all anticipating a great vacation and are just happy to finally be in line to get on board. Of all the times I have been in these lines I have never heard a single person around me complaining about the time it is taking.

I suspect that these claims of people complaining are way over exaggerated.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I have never heard of many people complaining about the length of time to check in. They are all anticipating a great vacation and are just happy to finally be in line to get on board. Of all the times I have been in these lines I have never heard a single person around me complaining about the time it is taking.

Agreed -- we generally show up at the pier around 11:00 a.m., and have never had a problem with check-in, on RC or X. There are only two times I can remember boarding being significantly delayed, and then everything was just backed up:

-- an unexpected Coast Guard inspection on Mariner of the Seas, out of LA; boarding delayed for over an hour.

-- a two hour delay in Ft.L, when there was an industrial accident (fatality, it turns out:() on the loading dock.

In both of those instances, everyone (even those with "priority" boarding) just had to make sure they had packed their patience. And, as they say, if there's going to be a long line, it's usually better to be at the front of it, than the back! ;)

Princess would like you to come at the suggested time so as avoid excessive lines at check-in but other than at one of the terminals in Southampton, UK a few years ago, I have never read or heard of anyone being turned away for arriving before the suggested time.

In 2012 at Southampton we were told it was the "requested time" and not the suggested time. :(

I have on the board for the line that I sail. This line doesn't assign boarding times earlier than Noon. But the early arrivals - for whatever reason - complain of waiting in the terminal until they can board. (This line doesn't open boarding until the passenger's stateroom is ready.)

Some have come in from early flights, some had to check out of their hotel, and some just wanted to be all unpacked and settled before muster. That's what happens when too many passengers all show up at the same time.

I have on the board for the line that I sail. This line doesn't assign boarding times earlier than Noon. But the early arrivals - for whatever reason - complain of waiting in the terminal until they can board. (This line doesn't open boarding until the passenger's stateroom is ready.)

Some have come in from early flights, some had to check out of their hotel, and some just wanted to be all unpacked and settled before muster. That's what happens when too many passengers all show up at the same time.

Mark me up as another person who has never heard any of these howls of complaints that some people claim to occur. And I am one of those who arrive early. I, and the rest of us rebels, simply wait patiently for the boarding process to start, knowing we will be one of the first to be on board and be able to enjoy a very special couple of hours when the ship is nearly empty and there are no crowds anywhere - even in the buffet!

Priceless!!!!

Edited by sloopsailor

When my ship sails from US ports, we get a large number of people who cannot really afford to cruise. They arrive the day of the cruise in order to save money. Many of these people show up at the terminal early in the morning, hoping to be the first aboard to get their "free" lunch.

At the end of the cruise, we receive 20 or 30 complaints that they waited hours to board the ship.

That is true. When you arrive at the terminal at 6am, you will have to wait several hours to get onboard.

In this era of marketing to the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME Generation, the cruise lines try to make boarding smoother for everyone by staggering the times.

But this normally fails, because the cruise is all about ME. Screw everyone else. I want to be first.

Edited by BruceMuzz

When my ship sails from US ports, we get a large number of people who cannot really afford to cruise. They arrive the day of the cruise in order to save money. Many of these people show up at the terminal early in the morning, hoping to be the first aboard to get their "free" lunch.

At the end of the cruise, we receive 20 or 30 complaints that they waited hours to board the ship.

That is true. When you arrive at the terminal at 6am, you will have to wait several hours to get onboard.

In this era of marketing to the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME Generation, the cruise lines try to make boarding smoother for everyone by staggering the times.

But this normally fails, because the cruise is all about ME. Screw everyone else. I want to be first.

WOW! I certainly hope that you aren't in any customer service capacity on the ship you work on. This comment indicates you think paying passengers are a nuisance and a pain in the a**.

Why do you work in this industry when you have such low regard for the very people who are ultimately paying your salary? :confused:

Edited by sloopsailor

WOW! I certainly hope that you aren't in any customer service capacity on the ship you work on. This comment indicates you think paying passengers are a nuisance and a pain in the a**.

Why do you work in this industry when you have such low regard for the very people who are ultimately paying your salary? :confused:

I'm sure BruceMuzz will defend himself, but his comment rings true. The staggered boarding is meant to smooth out the boarding times. People do show up early so they can get on the ship sooner. It is about ME ME ME.

My only comment to BruceMuzz is "So what else is new"? I've ignored the staggered boarding suggestion because I can. I show up early because I can. Not 6:00 AM, but 11:00-ish. OTOH, I don't complain if I have to wait.

If it were really all that important to the cruise lines, they'd make it mandatory instead of a suggestion. I'd be happy to board at "my" time, but see no reason to if everyone else shows up whenever they want.

Coming on here and complaining about "ME, ME, ME" won't change anything. Making it mandatory would. But that requires more from the cruise line than they are willing to do. In general, they're too afraid of creating rules they then have to enforce. Instead, they come up with "suggestions" and hope people will comply. IMHO that's wishful thinking given human nature . See any number of dress code flame-fest threads here on CC for examples.

Yes, I am cynical. But that's just ME :)

Guess you haven't read enough of his posts.;)

He seems to be getting more cynical as the years, months and days go by.

And what about cruisers who want just drop off their luggage and go sightseeing? Will they be turned away if they show up after their scheduled time? :rolleyes:

Not a problem any Port I've ever left from.

Normally drop my bags about 8:30 or so, and have a wander.

Sorry BruceMuzz it is not a "free lunch" it is part of the fare that the passenger has paid and is entitled to. As a person who allegedly hold a senior position with a cruise line I think you should be ashamed of your remarks about people who you think "can not really afford to cruise".

While I agree with the comments about Me Me Me the bit about not being able to afford to cruise is offensive.

As is the "free lunch" comment.

Sorry BruceMuzz it is not a "free lunch" it is part of the fare that the passenger has paid and is entitled to. As a person who allegedly hold a senior position with a cruise line I think you should be ashamed of your remarks about people who you think "can not really afford to cruise".

It (Free Lunch) is also far from the only reason some like to board early.

In 2012 at Southampton we were told it was the "requested time" and not the suggested time. :(

and your point is? :confused:We were also on the Grand in 2012 and as I recall this was fairly early in the Princess staggered boarding policy and there a number of post about early people being turned away at Southampton, however being Elite that did not apply to us.

We have never been told we were too early when arriving an hour or so before the time listed in our email. I imagine there's many who show up much later than the time listed so it probably does average out.

And out of the three last times we've cruise (all three out of San Pedro), twice we had at most one party in front of us in line.

I see a problem with enforcing it.

f they say you can't arrive before your time slot, will they also say you can't arrive after it, or will it just move the congestion to later in the day.

and your point is? :confused:We were also on the Grand in 2012 and as I recall this was fairly early in the Princess staggered boarding policy and there a number of post about early people being turned away at Southampton, however being Elite that did not apply to us.

Because Southampton now has several "vast" ships in port, the turnaround days can be more difficult when they are in together. To counter this, the check-in staff received instruction on staggered boarding; we were with the first group of cruisers to do this, with Independence OTS, May 2014, on her arrival from her TA. People on deck 9 checked in at 11.45am; we were on 8 and checked at 12.15pm.

We simply took our luggage through the dock gates as soon as they were opened, about 10.30am, left them at the stevedore's station and returned to the nearby hotel for coffee. No problems. :cool: