Here is a tip about transfer service

clinthi

We were on the Norwegian Gem last week and booked our airport transfers through Norwegian--thankfully.

For security, we always stay with our luggage until it has been loaded onto the bus/van/shuttle we are taking. We watched the driver put our luggage in the back of his van.

He stopped at the next terminal to pick up three more passengers. We had NO IDEA that he unloaded smaller bags to make room for their larger suitcases--then he put the smaller bags back in EXCEPT he left one of our suitcases on the curb. When we got to the pier, we realized one of our suitcases was missing. We KNOW it was in his van-- we watched him load it. One of the passengers who was picked up at the next terminal told us that he unloaded a few to arrange the larger bags on the bottom. He started yelling at us in a different language, he spoke English briefly to scream it wasn't his *!@! problem and drove off.

We were upset and felt helpless. The phone numbers on our transfer service vouchers went to an automated number saying that they were closed (this was on a Sunday).

We boarded the ship and met with a Customer Care rep for Norwegian. We explained what happened and he immediately took action.

The police found the unattended case at the other terminal, scanned it for safety and then took it to Delta baggage claim. He coordinated with Delta to overnight the suitcase to our first port (Halifax) and he hand delivered it to our stateroom. He checked on us multiple times and provided the best service we could possibly ask for. He was AMAZING and totally saved our vacation.

The lesson learned here is always stay with your baggage and watch it be loaded onto whatever vehicle you are in. If the driver makes ANY stops, get out and supervise that your luggage is not taken back off!

P.S. For the transfer from the port back to the airport-- I used my phone and recorded our bags being loaded!

TL;DR : Transfer service took off our bag in error. Norwegian Service was awesome.

Certainly valid advice.

However, taking a cab would have been (in most cases) cheaper, and you would have supervised the loading of the bags in the trunk. There would have been no stops to possibly mistakenly off load your bags. The taxi would have only been responsible to you.

We were on the Norwegian Gem last week and booked our airport transfers through Norwegian--thankfully.

For security, we always stay with our luggage until it has been loaded onto the bus/van/shuttle we are taking. We watched the driver put our luggage in the back of his van.

He stopped at the next terminal to pick up three more passengers. We had NO IDEA that he unloaded smaller bags to make room for their larger suitcases--then he put the smaller bags back in EXCEPT he left one of our suitcases on the curb. When we got to the pier, we realized one of our suitcases was missing. We KNOW it was in his van-- we watched him load it. One of the passengers who was picked up at the next terminal told us that he unloaded a few to arrange the larger bags on the bottom. He started yelling at us in a different language, he spoke English briefly to scream it wasn't his *!@! problem and drove off.

We were upset and felt helpless. The phone numbers on our transfer service vouchers went to an automated number saying that they were closed (this was on a Sunday).

We boarded the ship and met with a Customer Care rep for Norwegian. We explained what happened and he immediately took action.

The police found the unattended case at the other terminal, scanned it for safety and then took it to Delta baggage claim. He coordinated with Delta to overnight the suitcase to our first port (Halifax) and he hand delivered it to our stateroom. He checked on us multiple times and provided the best service we could possibly ask for. He was AMAZING and totally saved our vacation.

The lesson learned here is always stay with your baggage and watch it be loaded onto whatever vehicle you are in. If the driver makes ANY stops, get out and supervise that your luggage is not taken back off!

P.S. For the transfer from the port back to the airport-- I used my phone and recorded our bags being loaded!

TL;DR : Transfer service took off our bag in error. Norwegian Service was awesome.

I have a better tip, always take a private transfer... then you and your luggage are much saver. The cost difference is not that much more and well worth it. We have been doing so more probably 30 years. Less stress and strain too.

Very good advice! Thank you for sharing this. The NCL customer care employee deserves an applause! Happy that all worked out for you in the end.

Edited by Arzeena

I am so happy to learn that you did get your suitcase back.

Thankfully you had a happy ending compared to what I have read about what has happened to other people.

We prefer to take taxi's or limo's. It has been years since we have used a shuttle.

I definitely agree with you. I wouldn't take a shuttle if it were free.:)

I definitely agree with you. I wouldn't take a shuttle if it were free.:)

I so agree with this, even a shuttle to and from the airport at home. Many years ago I took several business trips to Europe. To save the company money, I took shuttles both ways to and from my home. On one return 11 hour flight I joined seven other people on the shuttle, all of us heading home. As it turned out, I was the last one to be dropped off since everyone else was closer to the airport. It took a whopping 2 hrs and 15 minutes to get me home, a trip that I could have taken in just under 45 minutes. I vowed to never again use a shuttle and now always hire a limo service. It costs twice as much, but the vehicles are much more comfortable, the service is more personal, I'm not crammed in with a bunch of strangers, and I get home in the same amount of time it would take me if I drove myself.

We once took the ship sponsored bus to the airport after a cruise. Again, will not do that again. Since the bus had to satisfy many different people's flight schedules, we ended up sitting at the airport for nearly three hours before our flight. Now we arrange for a private car, or take a taxi.

My time and comfort is not something I am willing to sacrifice to save less than $50. Plus, on shuttles and buses, each passenger pays the fare separately. With a private vehicle, my wife and I both ride for same price as one person.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Early in our travels when the airport was far from city center, we took supplied shuttle bus to airport. It was awful. They dropped us far from the entrance to our terminal and we had to drag our suitcases when we could not get a cart or porter. We learned very quickly to get a car and driver or taxi.

I so agree with this, even a shuttle to and from the airport at home. Many years ago I took several business trips to Europe. To save the company money, I took shuttles both ways to and from my home. On one return 11 hour flight I joined seven other people on the shuttle, all of us heading home. As it turned out, I was the last one to be dropped off since everyone else was closer to the airport. It took a whopping 2 hrs and 15 minutes to get me home, a trip that I could have taken in just under 45 minutes. I vowed to never again use a shuttle and now always hire a limo service. It costs twice as much, but the vehicles are much more comfortable, the service is more personal, I'm not crammed in with a bunch of strangers, and I get home in the same amount of time it would take me if I drove myself.

We once took the ship sponsored bus to the airport after a cruise. Again, will not do that again. Since the bus had to satisfy many different people's flight schedules, we ended up sitting at the airport for nearly three hours before our flight. Now we arrange for a private car, or take a taxi.

My time and comfort is not something I am willing to sacrifice to save less than $50. Plus, on shuttles and buses, each passenger pays the fare separately. With a private vehicle, my wife and I both ride for same price as one person.

Well said! It has always puzzled me that people will spend thousands of dollars for their cruise, and tip the crew hundreds of dollars, and then scrimp on their own transportation. I'm with you, we always take a limo to the airport with champagne, and we don't even take a hotel shuttle from the airport to our hotel, a taxi at the minimum.:):)