10 night Caribbean cruise out of FL this February

Iamthesea

I am curious...

For those that have taken this cruise before, what is the usual demographic of passengers? I realize that the cruise will mainly be made up of retirees, but will the passengers mostly be from Florida and surrounding states? Or, is this the type cruise that many overseas nationalities come over for (warm weather?) :)

I am curious...

For those that have taken this cruise before, what is the usual demographic of passengers? I realize that the cruise will mainly be made up of retirees, but will the passengers mostly be from Florida and surrounding states? Or, is this the type cruise that many overseas nationalities come over for (warm weather?) :)

I have never really polled the passengers as to where they are from on ANY cruise

We have sailed in the winter months & met my friend from Australia onboard as well as people from the UK ......how many from each Country ????

Edited by LHT28

I am curious...

Not quite sure of the demographic on our Feb. cruise on Riviera but we just wanted to drive to the ship (from Florida) rather than fly which we have been doing for the past 8 or 9 years. Tired of the flight delays and stopovers and 20 to 22 hour days just getting to our ship. Need an easy one once in a while. It will be interesting to see where everyone is from. Can't wait to relax on the ship. :):):)

Just as you may have heard that Wine companies jockey to obtain the second least expensive vintage on a wine list (It's ALWAYS the most popular!), so too passengers who are thinking of coming over to Oceania look for the best per diem (usually found in the Caribbean) with ports which are pleasant but not too much of a distraction (also, usually the Caribbean).

The hard core repeaters (think those who are orbiting Presidents Circle Status already) won't be aboard.

We have never taken a ten day Caribbean Cruise on Oceania, but we have done the twelve and a fourteen day trips, and for us the biggest difference was the large number of "new to Oceania" folks, usually in their late forties and fifties. Most were excited to be trying a new Line after many years of loyalty to another, and all of them were anxious to learn the lay of the land.

The experience was very like our other Oceania voyages, except that, with more people determined to sample every aspect of onboard life, there was much more of an emphasis on doing things on the ship during port stays.

As far as we could tell, the Spa, gymnasium, salons and computer facilities were fully booked and well patronized while the rest of us were ashore. People were jostling the Cruise Director to add additional sessions of Trivia and name that tune during time in port (he did so).

In Suite, Course by Course Specialty Restaurant Dining, seemed to be particularly popular and we would often return from a late excursion to see eight or twelve Butlers serving as we made our way back to the room

I'm not a big fan of Cruise Ship entertainment in general, but I have to admit that, in the Caribbean, the Showrooms were packed for every performance, and the audiences were enthusiastic.

Hope that this gives you at least some idea of what to expect. Enjoy your cruise!

StanandJim - Very helpful, Thank you! ;)

I have never really polled the passengers as to where they are from on ANY cruise

We have sailed in the winter months & met my friend from Australia onboard as well as people from the UK ......how many from each Country ????

No, no need to take a Poll. This is usually announced during the Captains message or reception during the first part of a cruise. At least that's how it is on other cruise lines.

Not quite sure of the demographic on our Feb. cruise on Riviera but we just wanted to drive to the ship (from Florida) rather than fly which we have been doing for the past 8 or 9 years. Tired of the flight delays and stopovers and 20 to 22 hour days just getting to our ship. Need an easy one once in a while. It will be interesting to see where everyone is from. Can't wait to relax on the ship. :):):)

We know what you mean. Having been back from London only a little over a week, we are still trying to get over the jet lag. :rolleyes: Looking forward to a fairly short day to get down to FLL and then a relaxing cruise. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

We have taken two. I remember a older crowd 60++ from all over the US. I really do not remember meeting anyone from overseas. I am sure there were some but not the majority. As said the shows were always full and so was the culinary center. We were on the Rivera.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

No, no need to take a Poll. This is usually announced during the Captains message or reception during the first part of a cruise. At least that's how it is on other cruise lines.

you will soon see Oceania is not like other cruise lines ;)

Hope that this gives you at least some idea of what to expect. Enjoy your cruise!

We're about to take a 10-day Caribbean cruise in just a few weeks (Jan 3), so this was actually very helpful information for me! Good to know what to expect. And in fact, just like you predicted, I DO plan on putting my focus much more on the ship than I usually do. Most of my cruises have been very port-focused as they've been to areas that I really wanted to visit, explore, and tour...but this one I'm really only going for the scuba diving as there's not much else that draws me to those well-touristed islands. I'll be done with my diving by early afternoon, at which time I figured I'd go back to the ship and try to enjoy it while most others are ashore. However, based on your description, that may be a little more challenging than I was expecting!

I also fit right in your demographic - mid-50s, first-time O cruiser. Although I've never been loyal to any particular cruise line - I'm happy to spread my business around - the number of cruise lines I will consider has been shrinking exponentially. I suppose my expectations have increased with age...either that or, once I stepped up to the luxury lines, I got spoiled! :p I just can't deal with the mass-market lines anymore.

I'm very much looking forward to my upcoming cruise, as Oceania appears to offer a good balance between luxury and affordability. Unlike some others, I do have a budget and money is not an unlimited resource, so I'm hoping Oceania will be able to fit the bill.

Ok, new to crusing and first time cruise last year. Prior life traveled to most continents for business, so no need to see the world. We have been boaters and decided to let someone else do the driving, cooking, cleaning and sold the boats. We wanted to try Oceania based on "luxury lite" with a smaller ship to sample and see what we liked. We booked a 12 day cruise on Insignia last November and loved it so much we booked two more on board the ship. The next segment had the fire, and many passengers we met were on board.

We are in our late 60's, and many most of the passengers on board were older than we were. Mostly North American, but many from Europe. Some were very experienced with Oceania and were on board for extended periods of time. Since they had seen many of the ports, they chose not to get off the ship. We got off in every port, did some excursions we hadn't done before (zip lining and river rafting). We love it and are currently on the Regatta going to the Amazon. Since it was a 12 day trip, it might have been slightly different, but found the fellow passengers very interesting and engagning. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

We're about to take a 10-day Caribbean cruise in just a few weeks (Jan 3), so this was actually very helpful information for me! Good to know what to expect. And in fact, just like you predicted, I DO plan on putting my focus much more on the ship than I usually do. Most of my cruises have been very port-focused as they've been to areas that I really wanted to visit, explore, and tour...but this one I'm really only going for the scuba diving as there's not much else that draws me to those well-touristed islands. I'll be done with my diving by early afternoon, at which time I figured I'd go back to the ship and try to enjoy it while most others are ashore. However, based on your description, that may be a little more challenging than I was expecting!

I also fit right in your demographic - mid-50s, first-time O cruiser. Although I've never been loyal to any particular cruise line - I'm happy to spread my business around - the number of cruise lines I will consider has been shrinking exponentially. I suppose my expectations have increased with age...either that or, once I stepped up to the luxury lines, I got spoiled! :p I just can't deal with the mass-market lines anymore.

I'm very much looking forward to my upcoming cruise, as Oceania appears to offer a good balance between luxury and affordability. Unlike some others, I do have a budget and money is not an unlimited resource, so I'm hoping Oceania will be able to fit the bill.

"mid-50s, first-time O cruiser" and a shoulder problem! This describes me. :D What's your shoulder problem? Mine is yet to be diagnosed after many weeks and a number of test. :(

We are in our late 60's, and many most of the passengers on board were older than we were. Mostly North American, but many from Europe. Some were very experienced with Oceania and were on board for extended periods of time. Since they had seen many of the ports, they chose not to get off the ship. We got off in every port, did some excursions we hadn't done before (zip lining and river rafting). We love it and are currently on the Regatta going to the Amazon. Since it was a 12 day trip, it might have been slightly different, but found the fellow passengers very interesting and engagning. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On our cruise in October - Celebrity Eclipse - 90% of passengers were from the UK. For the most part, they did not get off the ship.:eek: We were doing the Canary Islands area, Spain and Portugal. DH and I have never seen so many passengers sunning up on deck. We could not find a free lounge chair anywhere on the ship and ended up out on our balcony most days. This even if there was no sun and the temps were in the 60's.

Being our first time in the ports, we took morning to early afternoon excursions. When we returned to the ship, not only were the decks full of people, but the OV café was always packed (after 2:30) and we had a hard time getting a bite to eat.

We picked the Oceania Riviera for it's ports and for the ship. Some we have been to before and will stay onboard while others we will visit.

Like a few of the posters, we are also from SoFla and just love the fact that in less than 2 hrs, we can be onboard enjoying a drink and anticipating the 10-12 days ahead.

The difference for our April 2 Miami-Miami cruise, is that we are returning to Oceania after many years of sailing with Windstar. We love Windstar but decided we didn't want to fly anywhere to meet the ship.

How's the shoulder coming along Lee Anne?

Thanks for asking! :) I had my second surgery last week, and I'm now over the worst of the early recovery and am moving into intense physical therapy. I need to speed it up a bit, though, since my cruise is only a few weeks away and I need to be able to get myself into my scuba gear! Next week I'm going to bring my gear into my PT office and show them what I need to be able to do, so they'll be able to design an exercise program for me that will get me where I need to be. Hope it works!

We have been boaters and decided to let someone else do the driving, cooking, cleaning and sold the boats.

How funny - we're doing the reverse! ;) We've been going on cruises for many years, and love it. We're also boaters, but mainly coastal cruising...we've never done any blue-water cruising on our own boat. So we're planning on retiring in a couple years, moving onto our 44-ft Mason and sailing around the Pacific for at least 5 years. I'm looking forward to the adventure...but yeah, methinks on some level I will sorely miss someone else doing the driving, cooking and cleaning! :p

Happy to hear the feedback that you loved Oceania so much.

"mid-50s, first-time O cruiser" and a shoulder problem! This describes me. :D What's your shoulder problem? Mine is yet to be diagnosed after many weeks and a number of test. :(

I took a bad fall in May and tore my rotator cuff. I had surgery to repair that in August, but then ended up with frozen shoulder syndrome, so they had to go back in two weeks ago to remove scar tissue to release it. Shoulder issues are a major pain...and I mean that literally! I've never felt such pain in all my life. Sorry you're going through that. Here's my advice: get a contrast MRI! Not just a regular MRI - that was my mistake, it didn't show the tear, so I went for months without getting it treated. If I'd had the repair surgery immediately, I would have been MUCH better off.

We love Windstar but decided we didn't want to fly anywhere to meet the ship.

Former Windstar cruiser here as well! They are an interesting line - very different from all the other lines. They provide the most "nautical" cruise experience available, IMO. Loved Windstar...but I'm thinking Oceania will be at least a couple steps up in terms of luxury. I'm soon to find out!

That's what I keep asking for... an MRI w/ contrast. I first hurt mine when reaching back behind the passenger seat of my new SUV while trying to "seat" my pocketbook on the floorboard. It continually got worse as I kept reinjuring. Having had a small tear in the other shoulder years ago after being on a waterslide, I was sure it was RC.

I can move my shoulder, and even lift slowly to different positions, but if I make a sudden movement, all #*%% breaks loose! As you say, it's the worse pain I have ever experienced! Worse than childbirth. Feels like my funny bone has been hit, except the pain runs from my shoulder down to my fingers and last for a minute or so. Hurts so bad that I cannot move or talk.

Had the standard MRI, x-rays, 2 shots of cortisone (in different areas of shoulder), a steroid pack, an EMG of shoulder and neck. The latest was an assumption it was frozen shoulder and they put me on Relafen. I am on a 3 week look and see if the latest shot helps. :rolleyes: It's not so far. When I go back, I am asking for an MRI w/ contrast and possibly a scope surgery (this suggestion from the doctor that did the EMG and is also an ortho.)

Well, didn't mean to change the subject of my thread. Hope you mend well and make your goal of scuba diving. :)

That's what I keep asking for... an MRI w/ contrast. I first hurt mine when reaching back behind the passenger seat of my new SUV while trying to "seat" my pocketbook on the floorboard. It continually got worse as I kept reinjuring.

I did that also

had an MRI there was no tear but went PT for weeks which did help get the motion back

Hi LeeAnne,

You are correct..Windstar is a very interesting line. To us it feels like a private yacht. We do miss our balcony but it does bring everyone out on deck.

Looking forward to the luxury..and great food...of Oceania.

Iamthesea and LHT28 - I feel ya! Shoulder pain Just. Plain. Sucks. :p

Hi LeeAnne,

You are correct..Windstar is a very interesting line. To us it feels like a private yacht. We do miss our balcony but it does bring everyone out on deck.

Looking forward to the luxury..and great food...of Oceania.

Best part of Windstar? The music they play when they raise the sails! It's an instrumental song called "Conquest of Paradise" by Vangelis, from the movie "1492: Conquest of Paradise" about Christopher Columbus, starring Gérard Depardieu. There's just some kind of amazing feeling when you are out there at sea, on deck of this spectacular ship, and the gigantic sails start going up, and this rousing, inspiring music starts playing, and your emotions swell, and well...makes ya love being on the water, huh? :)

I hope they still do that!

Like a few of the posters, we are also from SoFla and just love the fact that in less than 2 hrs, we can be onboard enjoying a drink and anticipating the 10-12 days ahead.

The difference for our April 2 Miami-Miami cruise, is that we are returning to Oceania after many years of sailing with Windstar. We love Windstar but decided we didn't want to fly anywhere to meet the ship.

Sorry we will miss you. Going mid Feb. We are from Boca and I figure a little over an hour without too much traffic on 95. Have a great time. :)

I am a seasoned cruiser who is try Oceania for the first time on March 13th. 7 nt. on Riviera. This is spring break time, do you think there will be many kids on board ?

do you mean the rowdy party types or small children??

Unlikely you will see too many kids onboard but you never know

I would never cruise on a Mass Cruise line during March. I guess I did not think it would be a problem on Oceania.

We have cruised in March on O but not on a 7 day cruise

I doubt there will be hundreds of unruly kids on an O ship though unlike the mass market lines where we made the mistake of sailing during spring break ONCE ...over 700 kids out of 2000 passengers :eek: