First timer, question about cabins on Island Princess

GTck88

Hi all, I'm going on my first cruise to Alaska next week and I'm curious about the rooms on Island Princess. I have an obstructed ocean view room (I'm fine with that) but I'm wondering how modern the rooms will be? I've looked around for photos of the room online and can only find pictures of the window. I've seen everything floating around of rooms that look like they came out of an older motel to super sleek modern looking updated rooms. If anyone can give me a clue of what to expect I would appreciate it! I have a room booked on Emerald deck if that's helpful. I know I could just wait a week and see what I have when I get there but curiosity is getting the best of me!

Hi all, I'm going on my first cruise to Alaska next week and I'm curious about the rooms on Island Princess. I have an obstructed ocean view room (I'm fine with that) but I'm wondering how modern the rooms will be? I've looked around for photos of the room online and can only find pictures of the window. I've seen everything floating around of rooms that look like they came out of an older motel to super sleek modern looking updated rooms. If anyone can give me a clue of what to expect I would appreciate it! I have a room booked on Emerald deck if that's helpful. I know I could just wait a week and see what I have when I get there but curiosity is getting the best of me!

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic!

The cabins are certainly not dated and very well appointed.

Here is a link to give you an idea what your cabin view might be.

https://sites.google.com/site/coralislandprincess/home

Princess used essentially the same cabin interior design starting with the Grand Princess in 1998 and ending with the Ruby Princess in 2008. They refreshed the design slightly with the Royal in 2013. The cabins on the Island are as modern as any other in the Princess fleet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the more modern cabins, that the OP is referring to, are the ones that were added during the dry dock last year. The newer aft cabins are slightly different from the original cabins. We specifically booked one of the new cabins in hopes of getting a decent mattress. ;) We might get a vibrating bed too.:eek:

Cabins are probably a bit smaller than motel rooms - more like European rooms than US. You will have a good-sized closet, safe, LCD TV, mini fridge. Can store luggage under the bed but we generally use the closet. Fair amount of shelf space and maybe 4-5 small drawers. The twin beds can be configured as separate or together. Other folks have commented on the beds - we usually find them too hard (but you can ask the steward for a foam topper). Bathroom will be TINY, with only a shelf under the sink and some 4" shelves in the corner. Shower is about half a phone booth, with a very clingy curtain and a soap/shampoo dispenser in a nasty location.

You will have one double electrical outlet near the phone - bring either a short extension cord or splitter, because you can't plug two power cubes in at the same time.

I can see where you might compare to a Motel 6. Been a long time, but I kind of remember that. No, these have much better beds, pillows, duvets (ask for a top sheet if you want one); no coin-operated TV or vibrator (although as partybarbie says, aft cabins do get some vibration going into port). Check the carpet in the hall - one side of the ship has a blue border, the other orange (although Princess seems to be removing this on newer ships).

You don't spend much time in the cabin, especially on an Alaskan cruise. Recommend you stake out a couple of loungers near the Lotus pool and check out a couple of Pendleton blankets from the pool deck staff in case it gets drafty (usually you can wear shorts in there). And bring your bathing suits - that glassed-in pool is one of the best parts of this ship.

Yes, you can have four desserts if you want to.

Check in on the lower level of Canada Place between 10:30 and 11 and you should be onboard around noon. Rooms are open as soon as you get onboard. And enjoy the grill and pizza up near the main pool.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were on the Island Princess in April/May this year. Our Dolphin deck balcony cabin was so sad. It was like a room in a run-down motel instead of the Princess we love. The carpet was faded and stained. The headboard was filthy. The door to the refrigerator cabinet was falling off. The shower dripped and the shower curtain was about an inch too short. The sink drained slowly. Thankfully the toilet worked like a charm.

The public areas of the Island Princess are beautiful and fresh and there are so many places to hide away and relax. Loved this ship. Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies everyone! When I originally posted the attached pic is what I meant by finding some pics of the rooms looking like a motel, haha. All of your info has been helpful. I know I probably won't be in the room too much so it's not that big of a deal but I just like to feel like things are clean. My family got one of the new suites (or maybe it's been renovated? Not sure I just know it was part of whatever they did to the ship the other year) so I suspect I'll end up spending a lot of time over there anyway.

image.jpg.23f6485e499194450a31af97d23f7462.jpg

Partybarbie and Colo cruiser

Duh! I didn't even think to look at Emerald Deck, since it is usually only staterooms. My stateroom is even on the Emerald deck.

I just want to make sure I get my Elite benefit minutes for the Nov. 16, 2016 Panama Canal cruise.

Also, Partybarbie, I guess we will see each other on Ruby for Sept. 26 California Coastal also.

Duh! I didn't even think to look at Emerald Deck, since it is usually only staterooms. My stateroom is even on the Emerald deck.

I just want to make sure I get my Elite benefit minutes for the Nov. 16, 2016 Panama Canal cruise.

Also, Partybarbie, I guess we will see each other on Ruby for Sept. 26 California Coastal also.

Yes deck 8.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Can't hardly wait for all of our cruises. :D

We were on the Island Princess in April/May this year. Our Dolphin deck balcony cabin was so sad. It was like a room in a run-down motel instead of the Princess we love. The carpet was faded and stained. The headboard was filthy. The door to the refrigerator cabinet was falling off. The shower dripped and the shower curtain was about an inch too short. The sink drained slowly. Thankfully the toilet worked like a charm.

And what was the reaction when you reported these problems during the cruise?

Did they fix the sink draining probem?

Did they clean the headboard?

Did they fix the refrigerator door?

Did they fix the shower drip?

I was just in Dolphin balcony 301 and everything was fine. Everything was in working order. Nothing was stained or faded. It looked just like the picture posted above except there was no bedspread. My only minor complaint was that there was no top sheet. The plain white duvet cover functions as your combined sheet/blanket. If you get hot in the middle of the night, you can't just kick off the blanket. I should have asked Nellie (our room steward) to add a sheet but I didn't usually see her until the evening and I didn't want her to have to tear the bed apart for such a minor thing. However, on future princess cruises, I will mention that to my steward on Day 1. Hope you have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They have a series of hammocks hanging from the rafters down in the bottom of the ship and every morning the Captain, who looks like Charles Laughton, will come through and flog anyone caught sleeping after sun-up with a cat-of-nine-tails. Oops! Wrong ship. That was on the HMS Bounty! The rooms on Princess are very nice and you will enjoy your cruise. The staff are very attentive to your every need. Have fun!