Calling all NCL Sun lovers

BlueLadyBlue

We still have almost 6 months to go before our cruise on the Sun so am looking for folks who love the Sun. Have been reading the posts (many are negative) and have read about the issues with the sewage smell although recent reports are more positive.

So I'm hoping to put on my lovely rose coloured glasses and sit back and read lovely things about the beautiful Sun.

For those out there that don't love/like/actively despise the Sun, please don't respond. I've read those comments.

Hope you Sun lovers will speak up. Thanks all. :D

Great itineraries; ship is a manageable size--never too crowded; you can always get a same-day reservation at specialty restaurants, because there are fewer people competing with you; I like the Bistro on the top deck, because it's airier and lighter. Balcony cabins are larger than on the Jewel class ships. Most important, the staff are super, super wonderful. Highly motivated, friendly. They love their ship and it shows. I don't think the cabin stewards are stretched quite as thin as they are on the Jewel class ships.

I'm a Sun lover ..... her hull art makes me smile

35e00c42-920b-4edd-9b1d-a87a29ed334b_zpszvgd4nhe.jpg

She has a forward facing open deck area in front of the observation lounge ... side doors on either side to duck in out of the weather. Perfect for Alaska or anywhere you want a forward view.

018dca63-1fd4-420a-b3d3-3355e75ea8a1_zps5ce4eda1.jpg

She has a sloped stern so aft facing staterooms have great view. She has the Great Outdoors for outside buffet seating with that same great view.

7b8e58d6-286f-43c8-9d80-0fc8dddb2f2e_zps1ef1b796.jpg

You can get a lot of people on the stern corner penthouse suite balconies

ee17da58-09b9-49e4-83a7-8928ad01902f_zps2b930653.jpg

View from one of the two forward facing balconies is also very nice

DSC00801_zpsb4d2191f.jpg

Our very first NCL cruise in 2006 was on the Sun in stern penthouse 9076. Our second cruise on the Sun was in 2013 in a forward facing balcony stateroom and we have the same stateroom booked for the 14 Day Ultimate Alaska cruise next May.

She doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer ships but we love her anyway :)

Sorry nowhere for "sun lovers" to bare all on the Sun.

We loved the whole cruise from Buenos Aires to San Francisco. While the workmen were on board I can't really say they got in the way too much and the smell wasn't as bad to us as to some other people. Nice "little" ship with plenty of room as it was on 70% full.

We sailed to Alaska on the Sun in June & loved the ship. We too were apprehensive of all the negative reviews but we had a fabulous cruise. We had a midship balcony & did not experience the smell problem. Cabin was a nice size but shower is small & I advise bringing clips to weigh down the shower curtain. Dining hall food was good & service was excellent. The Sun does not have all the bells & whistles of larger ships. Stardust theater is not large but adequate. We enjoyed shows & entertainers in the lounges. Our cabin steward was excellent. We did not notice any more signs of aging on the Sun than any other ships we have cruised on.

The Sun crew is amazing! The minisuites have a huge closet with a nice vanity ! Beds are hard but ask for a egg crate pad which can be doubled for a twin. This year I was on the Buenos Aires to San Francisco (34 days!). Hope to sail on the Sun to Alaska!

I am a "Sun" lover and I haven't even been on that ship yet. I have done other NCL cruises a while back and loved them. Thats why I chose NCL this time around. I had a choice!!! I have an AFT balcony and would never consider changing it. I'm so looking forward to it and we (all 15 of us) are going to have an amazing time. Thanks so much for starting this thread! It's so much better surrounding ourselves with positive thoughts.

The restaurant formerly know as Il Adagio (turned into the lower class La Cucina) is absolutely BEAUTIFUL -- two top tables at the windows, and 4 seater banquettes on risers so everyone has a table with a view!

Suite cruisers have breakfast in here.

Thanks all, I knew you wouldn't let me down - even you Son of a.. LOL We so don't need bells and whistles. We're pretty low key and not that hard to keep happy.

We are taking the Santiago (Valparaiso) to Buenos Aries followed by a b2b BA to Rio return - a very scenic cruise. I think this ship will suit us perfectly.

Once again, thanks for playing.

:D

The Sun is my favorite ship. And the Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise is my favorite to date. I loved my stern PH 9076 so much I booked it twice. Second cruise was an 11 night southern Caribbean. I would book that same suite again in a heartbeat. I love that huge balcony whether entertaining a dozen old and new friends or enjoying my solitude either in the sun or in the deep dark still of the night looking out at the wake and feeling the magic.

Ok, aside from that great suite with a separate bedroom and a separate thermostat and a great bathroom...

The ship is a perfect size. Not crowded. Great crew.

Great memories.

Love the Sun!! Atrium, Great Outdoors, Observation Lounge (and deck). Spent 19 days aboard her last spring through the Panama Canal and loved every minute. Never felt crowded. Hated to Disembark in Vancouver. [emoji17] And I plan to do Alaska on her. [emoji846]

I am a "Sun" lover and I haven't even been on that ship yet. I have done other NCL cruises a while back and loved them. Thats why I chose NCL this time around. I had a choice!!! I have an AFT balcony and would never consider changing it. I'm so looking forward to it and we (all 15 of us) are going to have an amazing time. Thanks so much for starting this thread! It's so much better surrounding ourselves with positive thoughts.

View of the aft facing balconies for you :)

7f7b48b2-88e4-42de-981d-c36ab3dd8e57_zpswcsfd1rd.jpg

Will be on her next May:)

Just looked at Marinetraffic.com, she took a detour after sailing from Vancouver tonight, I wonder why.

Yes, it looks like she went up Howe Sound and around Gambier Island before returning to the Strait of Georgia. Has she ever done that before?

Yes, it looks like she went up Howe Sound and around Gambier Island before returning to the Strait of Georgia. Has she ever done that before?

Looks like an interesting detour for the passengers, assuming it was evening rather than night. I wouldn't complain.

This thread is very encouraging for our forthcoming cruise aboard the Sun to Alaska. It's been a few years since I was quite so excited about a holiday and I've been nervous that my hopes and expectations will be too high (I worry too much!) :o

Enjoying reading you responses and the photos are lovely, thank you. Our budget doesn't stretch to a suite or I just wouldn't spend that much on our "room". Would rather extend our time away. Plus, I have read that once you try the "suite" life, you never (want to) go back! Have had an aft balcony before and loved it but they were booked before we decided on this cruise. I think we are truly going to enjoy the Sun and all she has to offer.

One question, when we were on the Star, there was a small, free restaurant with wait staff where you could eat (limited menu - fish and chips, burgers ?) as an alternative to the MDR or buffet. Is that the Sports Bar on the Sun? Is it noisy?

Thanks.:)

We have had 8 cruises on NCL and loved all of them. Two were on the Sun...one a transatlantic...and it and the Jade are our favorite ships. Staff is fantastic and the ship's size is perfect. My daughter and I were in an aft mini-suite on the transatlantic and it was very large with a huge balcony. We also will be on her in May 2017 for the 14 day Alaska cruise from San Francisco. Don't let the naysayers get you down, you will have a great time!

Since we are broked on the Sun for 5 September, in an aft balcony, I was concerned about the plethora of complaints from cruises easier in the year (especially when the Sun was in South America) regarding an awful sewage odor that seemed to permeate the aft area of the ship.

I did more research, then called my cruise consultant who gave me a customer service number. I called them, explained what I was reading on cruise critic and that some of the complaints were after the refit in the spring. Also, I stated that I had posted a thread on cc asking for those who had cruised recently on the Sun to comment about any sewage odors. I read some of these complaints to her. She put me on hold and talked with someone else, then came back to say that NCL had complaints about the odors, but they were pre-refit. I read a couple of the complaints that were post refit. By the way, t those complaints were not as severe as the pre-refit. Also, I asked others that were interested in this issue to call NCL about the problem.

I noted that NCL did divert a few weeks ago from docking at Skagway and did some work on the sewage system.

I have read a couple of posts from people in aft mini-suite/balcony cabins that did not notice any sewage odors.

I stuck with my aft balcony and am hopeful that it works out.

Enjoying reading you responses and the photos are lovely, thank you. Our budget doesn't stretch to a suite or I just wouldn't spend that much on our "room". Would rather extend our time away. Plus, I have read that once you try the "suite" life, you never (want to) go back! Have had an aft balcony before and loved it but they were booked before we decided on this cruise. I think we are truly going to enjoy the Sun and all she has to offer.

One question, when we were on the Star, there was a small, free restaurant with wait staff where you could eat (limited menu - fish and chips, burgers ?) as an alternative to the MDR or buffet. Is that the Sports Bar on the Sun? Is it noisy?

Thanks.:)

We loved O'Sheehan's on the Star (sailed last summer). Unfortunately the Sun (sailed this summer) doesn't have a similar dining venue. However, the Sports Bar is great--smaller, but not loud. I liked it because it was a quieter, more out-of-the-way spot just to sit. They start serving food at 5pm (chicken strips, fish and chips, soups, salads). You can bring food from the buffet or the Great Outdoors into the Sports Bar. We actually ate most of our meals at Moderno (omelettes, waffles for breakfast/pizza, pasta for lunch), next to the Sports Bar.

Re the Sun: Loved the Great Outdoors and our aft mini-suite! Great cruise, great itinerary!