Montreal to Boston July 2018......Canada / New England Cruise ! Which ship ?

funji1

Which ship do you recommend and pros and cons of each.....Maasdam, Veendam, or Rotterdam . We are two active 70 year old BFF celebrating our 65 year friendship. We chose this trip for the itinerary but we are unsure which ship to go on. We love music and production shows, good food and service. My husband and I are far from being stuffy or demanding, but we have been disappointed on both the Oosterdam and Zuiderdam for the poor service or lack of. Having cruised for 30 years, I am used to old world style cruising...ie. I am used to having my chair pulled out to seat me and my napkin placed in my lap.Not a deal breaker though. The food was just ok except for Pinnacle Grill and Le Cirque which was outstanding with the best service at Le Cirque. Going back to HAL is difficult but they offer the best itinerary.

Any help and input is welcome.

I've been on all three ships. I've done the sailing on the Maasdam a few years back and it was wonderful. I have it booked next year on the Rotterdam. I choose the Rotterdam because I want to sail on her again. The Maasdam would be the only one of the three to have a pool in the back. The other two do not. If the pool doesn't matter than I'd go with whatever dates fit your schedule best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are the itineraries the same?

Do you spend the same amount of time in the ports?

HAL doesn't have big production shows any more that last more than 40 minutes. In fact all the shows are about 40 minutes.

Le Cirque will soon be gone from all ships.

I have done that itinerary a great many itimes and thse are the qestions t hat matter. If they are doing same itinerary, on dates that work for you......... I would go with any of the three with Maasdam my favorite. If there is availability for cab in of your choice and prices are similar...........

I have done that cruise time and again and would sail any of t he three ships. If iitineraries t and gimes in port are the same, dates, work for you, cabin of your choice availability and similar pricing.......... Maasdam is my favorite, but I just sailed Veendam and thougt her crew terrific and ship in good condition.

I've done that itinerary twice on Maasdam and it was wonderful. I sailed on Veendam to Bermuda, and it was only slightly less wow-ing. I would choose Maasdam between those two, because there is just that "something" about that ship that makes it wonderful! (I know... not really specific!) And also because, as someone else said, the pool at the back. Even though I never actually swim in the ship's pools, there is something much more inviting about the Sea View stern area on Maasdam with the pool, as opposed to Veendam's strange bunch of little water features. Whichever Dam ship you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy the cruise!

I would choose Maasdam between those two, because there is just that "something" about that ship that makes it wonderful! (I know... not really specific!) And also because, as someone else said, the pool at the back. Even though I never actually swim in the ship's pools, there is something much more inviting about the Sea View stern area on Maasdam with the pool, as opposed to Veendam's strange bunch of little water features. Whichever Dam ship you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy the cruise!

Agree. I have not sailed Rotterdam although if she's co-flagship of the fleet, I have to assume that she's just as wonderful as any of the other dam ships. I have, however, sailed both Maasdam and Veendam. The service on both was wonderful. I too would give the edge to Maasdam; I really love the area around the pool in the stern, and it's so nice to eat Lido breakfast out there looking over the pool area and the open ocean (or whatever scenery there is). Veendam has New York Pizza, Maasdam does not, but that hot tub area just feels rather... confining if you're not patronizing those hot tubs. So I will agree with the wisdom of the other posters and say think about when you want to go and enjoy whichever ship is the making the run on your chosen date!

We cruised on the Maasdam a couple of years ago and the Veendam this past May, both on the Montreal to Boston itinerary. I was actually wowed by the production shows on the Veendam--the best of any HAL ship we have cruised on.

The Maasdam is my favorite ship, so if her itinerary fits, she would be my recommendation.

I absolutely love New England ports. I went on the Veendam and to my complete amazement loved it.

Food in the dining room was much better than was the nieuw Amsterdam. The production shows were very enjoyable compared to all other h.a. Ships I had been on.Barry from Boston was the piano player and was just wonderful. I usually do big ships, oasis, allure, anthem of the seas so was expecting nothing. Had a wonderful time.