IPA Beer on Summit

Mo from Canada

Wondering if anybody who has recently sailed the Summit knows which bars serve IPA beer

Thankyou

Pretty broad question.

I would suggest seeing if you can find a drink package list and see what beers are generally available. I have found in past that all bars do not have all the same beers, but it isn't hard to get to a bar that does have your choice.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your IPA or even an amber ale or a bitter, etc...

Dogfish 90 seems to be the only real IPA regularly available on all ships.

If you have the best, why would you need anything else? [Except that I did seem to wipe out the stock on Connie last year :D]

If you have the best, why would you need anything else? [Except that I did seem to wipe out the stock on Connie last year :D]

Like the beer, but like to drink beer and at 9.0% ABV, it slows me down somewhat.

What did you try after wiping it out?

Like the beer, but like to drink beer and at 9.0% ABV, it slows me down somewhat.

What did you try after wiping it out?

I wiped out one bar. They found a little more somewhere to tide me through the end of the cruise. [i don't actually drink that much beer on a cruise – mostly wine – but I do love Dogfish 90]

Mo,

Ask which bar subs as the GastroBar, it is stand alone on the Equinox with 35-40 craft selections. One of the reasons we sail the Equinox most! On some ships they have spread the selections across 2-3-4 locations.

Jazz,

If you ever venture to Boston, the best IPA on the east coast is at http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/

EW

Mo,

Ask which bar subs as the GastroBar, it is stand alone on the Equinox with 35-40 craft selections. One of the reasons we sail the Equinox most! On some ships they have spread the selections across 2-3-4 locations.

Jazz,

If you ever venture to Boston, the best IPA on the east coast is at http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/

EW

Which one? Looks like they have a number of IPA's, double IPA's.

My favorite IPA recently is called Fresh Squeezed IPA from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. Closest place to Atlanta, GA is potentially a bar in Charlotte, NC. Brewery shows a number of locations in TX. So many great beers with limited distribution and I understand why, bummer though. We are finally getting a brewery fairly close by and my fingers are crossed! :)

! :)

Sam,

It is not distributed in Tx, so I have to trade and have a friend ship it. I have not had one I didn't like.

Closer to yôu, my DD just brought this back from Florida for me. https://untappd.com/b/cigar-city-brewing-jai-alai-ipa/5724

My favorite IPA recently is called Fresh Squeezed IPA from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. Closest place to Atlanta, GA is potentially a bar in Charlotte, NC. Brewery shows a number of locations in TX. So many great beers with limited distribution and I understand why, bummer though. We are finally getting a brewery fairly close by and my fingers are crossed! :)

Deschutes Brewery is building a brewery in Roanoke, VA. Reason I know is Asheville lost out :'). We do have Sierra Nevada & New Belgium (just recently opened). Plus numerous smaller craft breweries.

On a recent Celebrity Cruise I had a Rebel IPA which is a Sam Adams Beer.

Same taste for a good beer... there is more than one culprit out there siphoning the experience.

Sam,

It is not distributed in Tx, so I have to trade and have a friend ship it. I have not had one I didn't like.

Closer to yôu, my DD just brought this back from Florida for me. https://untappd.com/b/cigar-city-brewing-jai-alai-ipa/5724

Great choice. We do have them here in Atlanta. I enjoy it in 6packs. My preference is draft for beers in general, but it is a great choice in cans. Publix grocery stores sell it here in GA and FL.

Deschutes Brewery is building a brewery in Roanoke, VA. Reason I know is Asheville lost out :'). We do have Sierra Nevada & New Belgium (just recently opened). Plus numerous smaller craft breweries.

That is great news. I need to check up on it as Sierra Nevada is still family owned to my knowledge and hope Deschutes is too.

Want to make a trip to Asheville next year and stop by Sierra Nevada brewery. We were in Asheville earlier this year and ran out of time. Love the small breweries there. Just have to bring in some food/snacks unless a food truck is outside. :):)

That is great news. I need to check up on it as Sierra Nevada is still family owned to my knowledge and hope Deschutes is too.

Want to make a trip to Asheville next year and stop by Sierra Nevada brewery. We were in Asheville earlier this year and ran out of time. Love the small breweries there. Just have to bring in some food/snacks unless a food truck is outside. :):)

ShipShape, for Sierra Nevada you'll need to make a reservation, it's done online and it's free. You'll love the complimentary tap beer in the Tap Room. I have not been over to New Belgium yet, but plan on doing that soon.

We live near Michigan and they have great IPA plus we are from Ontario Canada and they are starting to catch up If ever in Chatham Ontario try Sons of Kent We were on the Reflection two years ago and it was hard to get an IPA except Dogfish which is so strong to drink on a regular basis Thankyou for everybodys help We will have the premium package so I am sure we will be able to get something good I had heard they served Rebel IPA by Sam Adams but I am not sure if that is true or any other IPA

Mo

We live near Michigan and they have great IPA plus we are from Ontario Canada and they are starting to catch up If ever in Chatham Ontario try Sons of Kent We were on the Reflection two years ago and it was hard to get an IPA except Dogfish which is so strong to drink on a regular basis Thankyou for everybodys help We will have the premium package so I am sure we will be able to get something good I had heard they served Rebel IPA by Sam Adams but I am not sure if that is true or any other IPA

Mo

Dogfish 90 is almost twice as strong, 9.0% ABV vs many beers in the 5.0 to 6.0 range. A lot of craft brews are now moving into the 6.0 - 7.0 range though.

We too have premium package on our next cruise and looking froward to trying some brews I would pass on if I have to pay for them individually. I have had some issues with what I call 'skunky' beer because of low velocity of beer sales. I think that is a big issue for craft beers along with shelf space and standing out in a sea of great craft beers.

I am just glad there are beers besides Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller LIte, Coors, Coors Light..... otherwise I would be drinking water during the morning/afternoon. I switch to wine and vodka drinks in evening.

Mo

I guess I have been more successful at beating my liver into submission that most. Just had an ultrasound of my abdomen to prove it is normal. I'll drink to that! :') My son prefers Dogfish 60, but I find it rougher. Somehow they have managed to blend the 9% and the extra hops in a way that ends up smooth. And the 120 is even more so – until you stand up and the 18% hits your equilibrium! :eek: But if you prefer the taste of Dogfish 60, you should try Victory Hop Ranch [seasonal, but the next batch should be released soon] – course it's also 9%

I guess I have been more successful at beating my liver into submission that most. Just had an ultrasound of my abdomen to prove it is normal. I'll drink to that! :') My son prefers Dogfish 60, but I find it rougher. Somehow they have managed to blend the 9% and the extra hops in a way that ends up smooth. And the 120 is even more so – until you stand up and the 18% hits your equilibrium! :eek: But if you prefer the taste of Dogfish 60, you should try Victory Hop Ranch [seasonal, but the next batch should be released soon] – course it's also 9%

LOL! :D I admire your drinking style.

Ok back to the original question.

Got a text from the friend and she said that most of the craft bottles are tucked away in a corner of Cellar Masters. Depending on which SOM is on duty, the knowledge about them can be iffy :confused:

She is still checking around at the other bars to try and see if they are spread out.

Again, if you ever get a chance to sail on the Equinox, the GastroBar is really cool. They also have custom made cocktails and made sure to keep the wine my wife drank on hand.

EW

Just got off Summit on Sunday. DH is into craft beer and drank many of them on board. We had a premium package. We were in a suite and ate at Luminae nightly, Maggie our sommeliere would liase with ARIE in Ensemble Lounge and surprise husband with a new craft beer at dinner. Apparently Arie is the expert.

Enjoy!!

Ok back to the original question.

Got a text from the friend and she said that most of the craft bottles are tucked away in a corner of Cellar Masters. Depending on which SOM is on duty, the knowledge about them can be iffy :confused:

She is still checking around at the other bars to try and see if they are spread out.

Again, if you ever get a chance to sail on the Equinox, the GastroBar is really cool. They also have custom made cocktails and made sure to keep the wine my wife drank on hand.

EW

EW - thanks for checking with your friend on Summit. We were on Silhouette this past January and Cellar Masters had a great selection. Not the case on Constellation in June. So it is ship-dependant I guess.