Majesty of the Seas, Should I book?

SOV cabins are all on Deck 9..........

This is the Monday-Friday cruise? That's a GOOD price. :)

I have a friend who did what LMaxwell is talking about. Tried the Sky for a quickie. HATED IT. HATED IT.

We also have cruised on Her Majesty quite a bit....and our cabin of choice is 9070....a nicely located Superior Ocean View...slightly obstructed, because the lifeboats are below....but still a nice view out to the ocean. To another previous poster, I don't walk on any pool deck barefooted.

Edited by Paulette3028

We also have cruised on Her Majesty quite a bit....and our cabin of choice is 9070....a nicely located Superior Ocean View...slightly obstructed, because the lifeboats are below....but still a nice view out to the ocean. To another previous poster, I don't walk on any pool deck barefooted.

I'm sorry, I meant to say we are looking at Deck 9, Cabin 9562. Yes it is a M-F cruise.

SOV cabins are all on Deck 9..........

This is the Monday-Friday cruise? That's a GOOD price. :)

I have a friend who did what LMaxwell is talking about. Tried the Sky for a quickie. HATED IT. HATED IT.

Always good to see your posts. I think I'll finalize it with my agent. :)

I believe that has now been replaced with a faux wood type material that gets so hot that if you walk on it barefooted, it takes 3 layers of skin off the bottom of your feet :D

MJ_04.jpg

It sure does, but at least it is pretty and durable :p.

The deck above the pool deck is still AstroTurf, though.

• 1 month later...

Just booked another cruise on Her Majesty, but this time, in a JS. It will be our final cruise on her before her retirement.....we go to Coco Cay, Grand Bahama and Key West. Lovely way to spend a few days in mid February!

Enjoy your cruise. I did my very first cruise on the Sovereign in 1988 and I slipped in a 3-day on the Majesty last September. The Sovereign class has a decidedly different layout than the newer ships, but the best Viking Crown Lounges in the fleet. They really do go all the way around the stack.

Weather was fantastic ... height of hurricane season and not a cloud in the sky. :)

I'm sorry, I meant to say we are looking at Deck 9, Cabin 9562. Yes it is a M-F cruise.

This particular cruise and itinerary is my favorite of all the cruises I've been on. As the other poster said, the ship is missing in most high tech amenities and she is old, but the staff and itinerary can't be beat. It's just a fun cruise. You'll mainly be on the ship at night, and there is plenty to do if you want. Ditto on the Compass Deli--it's the best!! It also has a Coke Freestyle machine, which is nice for a pop lover like me. :)

Have a great time!!!

Having a room on deck 9 vs any deck lower than that makes a world of difference. I will not cruise MOS unless on decks 9 or 10. The SOVs on 9 are noticably larger than the other oceanviews and have a small couch. Plus, you'll love that 4 night itinerary. :)

I looked at the booking you suggested, good prices but I'm not a big fan of Norwegian. I'm still on the fence on the Majesty but you did say your experience aboard her was favorable so I do appreciate your opinions. Thx!

Not sure what week you are considering for Her Majesty, but we have always had a wonderful time on her. We just booked, one more cruise on her for President's Week (M-F), 2/15/16. Normally we talk a SOV on Deck 9, but for this last cruise on her, we got a very nice deal for a JS.

If we did not get a good price on the JS for the 4 day, we would have been very happy with 9080, which was the cabin we usually took on her.

Great crew and staff always! I will miss the lady, and Enchantment will have big shoes to fill!

She was my first cruise in 1996.....had really no idea what to expect....a window over the bed with a tiny alcove we eagerly jumped up to look out of each morning....did the usual western route....arrived at dinner,flushed,damp and laughing every night....some very staid Midwesterners at our table....loved the pool in the spa....looking around the plastic walled cabin I realized that if I looked at it as a fancy camper I was very satisfied....have been on most of the other lines since and my favorite is serenade...

DW and I are really looking forward to this cruise which will be our first cruise less than 7 days. The flight actually costs as much as the cruise but that is to be expected for a shorter itinerary. We plan to do a charter fishing trip in Nassau and parasail in Key West. We don't mind it being a small ship without all the bells and whistles. It sure beats being in my office as I continue my research on why sea air shrinks clothes. :cool:

DW and I are really looking forward to this cruise which will be our first cruise less than 7 days. The flight actually costs as much as the cruise but that is to be expected for a shorter itinerary. We plan to do a charter fishing trip in Nassau and parasail in Key West. We don't mind it being a small ship without all the bells and whistles. It sure beats being in my office as I continue my research on why sea air shrinks clothes. :cool:

So you are telling me people bring more than bathing suits and cover-ups on cruises -- (LOL)

So you are telling me people bring more than bathing suits and cover-ups on cruises -- (LOL)

Loved this! For some reason my shirts and pants in the vicinity of my waist gets much smaller as the cruise goes on. I mean I only eat several appetizers, two entrees and multiple desserts for the evening meal but I'm sure that doesn't make as much difference as breathing all that sea air. :D

Loved this! For some reason my shirts and pants in the vicinity of my waist gets much smaller as the cruise goes on. I mean I only eat several appetizers, two entrees and multiple desserts for the evening meal but I'm sure that doesn't make as much difference as breathing all that sea air. :D

Let me introduce you to slacks that have either gussets or elastic sides, so they still look like dress pants. I was raised in the garment industry -- so no problem, if you still insist on bringing some type of dress clothes. (still LOL)

I've been considering the Majesty as well. I've never sailed on her before but I have sailed on the Sovereign and Monarch. I love this class of ship and there is a part of me that would really like to say "I've cruised every ship in the Sovereign class". In fact, I booked a January sailing on the Majesty just yesterday as the prices started at $179 pp. I've read positive and negative reviews about the Monarch but I'm not going to let any negatives ruin my vacation.

Enjoy your cruise. I did my very first cruise on the Sovereign in 1988 and I slipped in a 3-day on the Majesty last September. The Sovereign class has a decidedly different layout than the newer ships, but the best Viking Crown Lounges in the fleet. They really do go all the way around the stack.

Weather was fantastic ... height of hurricane season and not a cloud in the sky. :)

The Viking Crown Lounge is what attracted me to RCI!

If I book now, I can get a JS for $1600 or an outside view for $800.

From our experience, $400PP/$800. total for an OV is high, even for Dk 9.

We've done many a Majesty 5/4 cruise all on Dk 9, (the other decks are just too small), and we've never paid more then $600. total incl fees/taxes.(Dk 9)

There are a lot of last minute (about 30 days out) sales on Majesty where the cabins go quick. Of course with the end coming for the Majesty, and a lot of cruisers wanting one more trip down memory lane, you never know about how good the sales will be this fall/winter(Sept-Dec excluding Christmas/New Years), and next winter/spring.(Jan-May excluding spring break)

Happy cruising.:)

Edited by American Bear

A suggestion, check the weather report before you leave.

We did a B2B on Her Majesty back about 5 years ago, and the first 4 days were awful rain, nothing to do, nothing else extra was planned by ship, and after the 4 movies in the cabin were watched, we were sorry we didn't bring a notebook with some downloaded movies!:eek:

Because every day is a port day, nothing much is normally planned.

Weather broke as we were pulling back into Miami for the start of our second cruise, if it didn't clear, I was getting off.

If I book now, I can get a JS for $1600 or an outside view for $800.

We just snagged a JS on Her Majesty for the 4 day itinerary for less than $1600 after all our discounts were applied -- so I am not sure what you are eligible for. For the first time, we called the Crown and Anchor department and booked through them and had a very pleasant conversation with Kyle in that department. It was not a high pressure conversation at all.

A suggestion, check the weather report before you leave.

We did a B2B on Her Majesty back about 5 years ago, and the first 4 days were awful rain, nothing to do, nothing else extra was planned by ship, and after the 4 movies in the cabin were watched, we were sorry we didn't bring a notebook with some downloaded movies!:eek:

Because every day is a port day, nothing much is normally planned.

Weather broke as we were pulling back into Miami for the start of our second cruise, if it didn't clear, I was getting off.

We have had such a different experience, when we have had bad weather, they put out a different cruise compass with different activities occurring around the ship. I can't say I was interested in them all, but that is something else. So I guess it depends on the Cruise Director at the time.

Hello. We have cruised on the Majesty a few years ago (our first cruise) with a 4 day itinerary and we loved it. We have since been on a larger, newer cruise and liked or Majesty experience more... It felt like everyone knew us and knew exactly what we wanted... We are going on her again end of the Summer. Cannot let her go w/o one last cruise :rolleyes:.

Having said that, I have a question for those who have been on Majesty recently (after it was docked).... Expedia description lists "Adults-only Solarium" as one of the features of the ship.... Really?!?!? I could have sworn there wasn't one... Did they add one or is expedia wrong :confused:? Thanks!

From our experience, $400PP/$800. total for an OV is high, even for Dk 9.

We've done many a Majesty 5/4 cruise all on Dk 9, (the other decks are just too small), and we've never paid more then $600. total incl fees/taxes.(Dk 9)

There are a lot of last minute (about 30 days out) sales on Majesty where the cabins go quick. Of course with the end coming for the Majesty, and a lot of cruisers wanting one more trip down memory lane, you never know about how good the sales will be this fall/winter(Sept-Dec excluding Christmas/New Years), and next winter/spring.(Jan-May excluding spring break)

Happy cruising.:)

Total cost with taxes, fees and port expenses for a Superior Ocean View Deck 9 was $773.28. If we could go a week earlier it would be about $50.00 less. I don't think this is a bad price and the Superior Views have been sold out for a couple months now. I check daily and will snag a better price through my TA if it becomes available. :cool: