Another passport question

luvcruisn'

The Canadian government website says that travel within Italy requires 3 months left on one's passport after one's stay in Italy, while the US government's website says 6 months is required. The Italian consulate in Vancouver is going with the Canadian government's listing of 3 months. Does anyone know anything about this difference? I am spending two days in Italy before my cruise, and all of the other countries require 3 months left on the passport, which I have. I know that I could renew now, but I would like to get the extra use out of the passport that I currently have.

The Canadian government website says that travel within Italy requires 3 months left on one's passport after one's stay in Italy' date=' while the US government's website says 6 months is required. The Italian consulate in Vancouver is going with the Canadian government's listing of 3 months. Does anyone know anything about this difference?[/quote']In theory, the two governments' websites could be legitimately different, if Italy were to require 3 months extra from Canadians but 6 months extra from Americans. So looking only at the difference between those two websites really tells you nothing much.

However, the database used by airlines to decide whether or not they're going to let you onto a flight that day currently says it's 3 months for both nationalities.

Some cruise lines have a very strict ruling that you MUST have six months left on your passport when you board the ship. You really should check with them as well.

I was about to say the same thing. According to the HAL rules that I read,they do require the 6 months. We will be renewing early (and get the 10 year this time) so that we have no issues.

Some cruise lines have a very strict ruling that you MUST have six months left on your passport when you board the ship. You really should check with them as well.

I was about to say the same thing. According to the HAL rules that I read,they do require the 6 months. We will be renewing early (and get the 10 year this time) so that we have no issues.

I was under the impression that HAL based its requirements on the countries being visited, so if none of the countries on a given itinerary required more than 3 months, the cruise requirement would only be 3 months. It seems illogical IMO for HAL to require 6 months if none of the countries being visited do.

We recently received our new 10 year passports, so I guess we won't have to worry about it for a while. :)

I was under the impression that HAL based its requirements on the countries being visited, so if none of the countries on a given itinerary required more than 3 months, the cruise requirement would only be 3 months. It seems illogical IMO for HAL to require 6 months if none of the countries being visited do.

We recently received our new 10 year passports, so I guess we won't have to worry about it for a while. :)

HAL plays it very safe. When I last checked for our upcoming cruise their requirement was 6 months.

Their general recommendation as well says the same. - http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=General+Information

For the $ involved, it's not worth worrying about and we will just renew. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yay on the 10 year. It will take a lot of worry away for us as well :)

Your post is going to make me double check with HAL though (in writing). All of our ports only require 3 months and our passports are good for another 5 and 1/2 months.

Just the same, we don't want to be refused boarding ;) and rules could change between now and March especially with the United Kingdome in the mix?

Edited by kazu

HAL plays it very safe. When I last checked for our upcoming cruise their requirement was 6 months.

Their general recommendation as well says the same. - http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=General+Information

For the $ involved, it's not worth worrying about and we will just renew. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yay on the 10 year. It will take a lot of worry away for us as well :)

Your post is going to make me double check with HAL though (in writing). All of our ports only require 3 months and our passports are good for another 5 and 1/2 months.

Just the same, we don't want to be refused boarding ;) and rules could change between now and March especially with the United Kingdome in the mix?

I know that HAL recommends six months in all of their related documents, but I just haven't seen it as a requirement. Perhaps it's something that I've just not paid any particular attention to because I seldom let my passport get that close to expiration. :)

I know that HAL recommends six months in all of their related documents, but I just haven't seen it as a requirement. Perhaps it's something that I've just not paid any particular attention to because I seldom let my passport get that close to expiration. :)

Neither do I :).

With 5 and 1/2 months to go from our sailing date it would be nice, but, who wants to risk a change of rules at the last minute? DH and I have no plans right now,so the timing is perfect ;).

Besides with the new 10 year rule (which we missed by two weeks last time - GRRRR), it will be a non issue for a long time to come:)

I travel internationally a lot, 110 countries and many visas. You have to go by what the country you're entering says, the state dept website even advises to check with the embassy or consulate of the country in question. So in this case you have to go by what the Italian consulate is saying, they know their own rules better than anyone else. Also be aware that depending on your nationality the rules can be different, so you cannot assume if its 3 months for Canadians then automatically is the same for US citizens, usually it is but you cannot make that assumption.

I know that HAL recommends six months in all of their related documents, but I just haven't seen it as a requirement.
Correct: It's a HAL recommendation. We have actually tested this with a passport that had less than 6 months validity, on a cruise for which neither country had a requirement for any extra validity beyond the intended stay.

Maybe my coffee just hasn't kicked in yet this morning, but I'm having difficulty understanding the relevance of this WHTI link to passport requirements for Italy. :confused:

Sorry fat fingers it got posted to the wrong thread and the quote didn't get copied with it. CC won't let me delete after 15 min.

Recommend you renew your passport! Why risk any hassles for a few extra months of use!

One reason for the 6-month HAL requirement is if you have any issues for whatever and have to go into or thru a country that requires 6 months on your passport, you will have no problems. Had friends with a medical emergency get sent to a 6-month required country and they had 6 months + a few days left so they had no problems getting in for the medical care one needed.

Passports are really relatively cheap - averaging $11 a year if spread over the 10 years. For that little difference in renewing a few months early ... is it really worth the worrying?
Recommend you renew your passport! Why risk any hassles for a few extra months of use!
By all means, one can take the ultra-cautious approach even if it is not strictly needed. You won't get into trouble by doing this.

But we have learned that the airline database information is reliable, and use it as part of routine trip planning. It takes away much of the hassle of trying to find a suitable moment between trips at which to do the passport renewal if we know that we don't actually need a new passport for our next trip(s). We'd comply with a HAL requirement if it were a requirement, but it isn't - it is only a recommendation.

One reason for the 6-month HAL requirement is if you have any issues for whatever and have to go into or thru a country that requires 6 months on your passport, you will have no problems. Had friends with a medical emergency get sent to a 6-month required country and they had 6 months + a few days left so they had no problems getting in for the medical care one needed.
In a medical emergency, it seems inconceivable that someone would be denied medical care that's available in a country simply because their passport doesn't have the required additional validity. Even a visa requirement would almost certainly be waived. Just look at the way that medical emergencies are handled day in day out all over the world.

By all means, one can take the ultra-cautious approach even if it is not strictly needed. You won't get into trouble by doing this.

But we have learned that the airline database information is reliable, and use it as part of routine trip planning. It takes away much of the hassle of trying to find a suitable moment between trips at which to do the passport renewal if we know that we don't actually need a new passport for our next trip(s). We'd comply with a HAL requirement if it were a requirement, but it isn't - it is only a recommendation.In a medical emergency, .

Globaliser, could you advise what airline database info you are referring to please? Thanks.

Globaliser, could you advise what airline database info you are referring to please?
It's called Timatic. If you Google, you should be able to find a number of different ways of getting free access to it, although I personally have it as part of a wider subscription service for flight information.

It's called Timatic. If you Google, you should be able to find a number of different ways of getting free access to it, although I personally have it as part of a wider subscription service for flight information.

Thank you :)