How do you pronounce Oceania ?

p598738

When I worked radio journalism many decades ago, we were told that the proper pronunciation of a person's name is they way they say it regardless of spelling. So the only real pronunciation of OCEANIA is how the cruise line pronounces it. Ergo how does corporate say it?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

On my recent cruise, the PR told me that it's O-Shee-Anna (there was a copyright issue that forced them to insert the "i" that was never intended to be there).

The way to never forget is to sing it to "Oh, Susanna," as in:

O-Shee-Anna, oh don't you cry for me!

When I worked radio journalism many decades ago, we were told that the proper pronunciation of a person's name is they way they say it regardless of spelling. So the only real pronunciation of OCEANIA is how the cruise line pronounces it. Ergo how does corporate say it?

When I phoned the Oceania UK office, I made a point of listening to how the recorded announcement pronounced their name. They said it with the 'i ' spoken, with five syllables. Oh-see-ahn-eee-ah. So obviously in the UK that is the correct pronunciation! (Maybe!) Or then again, nobody told them....

On my recent cruise, the PR told me that it's O-Shee-Anna (there was a copyright issue that forced them to insert the "i" that was never intended to be there).

The way to never forget is to sing it to "Oh, Susanna," as in:

O-Shee-Anna, oh don't you cry for me!

In my recent LIFE, I learned that Oceania PR may control many things, but the rules of phonetics are not among them.

I believe that the appropriate quote would be "An "I" for an "I".

In short, Oh-Shee-Ann-EEE-Ah

When I phoned the Oceania UK office, I made a point of listening to how the recorded announcement pronounced their name. They said it with the 'i ' spoken, with five syllables. Oh-see-ahn-eee-ah. So obviously in the UK that is the correct pronunciation! (Maybe!) Or then again, nobody told them....

Don't y'all speak a funny sounding English over there anyway? ;)

So true! My name is Lesa, pronouced with a long E the same as Lisa. I most often get Less-ah! My elementery lunch room manager finally called me Liz from grade 3 to 8. Thankful that she took the time to try to learn the names and, maybe, I reminded her of Liz Taylor? Not likely!

Thank you to the original poster for asking and to everyone contributing. A few months ago, I ran into an aquaintance that had just been on a mass market cruise line in the Caribbean and I mentioned that we were finally taking another cruse and it was on O-shee-anna-eee-a Riviera. Lo and behold, her 2nd cruse back was on Riviera. I said it my way and she ssaid it O-shee-anna. I say it that way now!

FYI, about the "finally" comment above--we don't cruise often. We do a cruise every 5 to 10 years and love them when we do. We dearly enjoy land vacations in special to us spots. We sometimes find them on cruises, sometimes from friends' contributions and sometimes on the world wide web! Technology is great until it isn't :)

Just for fun !

Is it:

Oh she an e a ?

Oh she an a ?

Oh shun e a ?

Other ??

I say oh-she-ANN- e-a.

By putting in the e sound for the i in Oceania it does not get confused with a cruise ship named Oceana.