In port late. What to do??

waterbugohio

Will be doing the Freedom in November. The first 8 day sailing. So no chance of looking at the compasses before we sail.

Can anyone give me tips or ideas of what most people do when in a port late?? We are in San Juan from 1:30 - 9:00 PM. We have sailed out of San Juan 4 times, but never been there on a port stop. I know we will dock right in the middle of town. We don't have any actually plans, but will probably walk around a little and maybe take the shuttle out to the forts.

But what will the schedule be on board at night?? Assume we will go back to dine. But do most people go back off the ship at dinner??

Is the entertainment schedule altered since lots of people not on board? Or do they kinda delay most shows/etc till all aboard??

Just seeking some insight to what most people do.

Thanks

Last year on a Southern cruise we were in Aruba till 11:00 PM. I made a reservation for a restaurant to eat dinner at that night that came highly recommended in our roll call, so that is something you could do in the evening. I know we could have ate on the ship but hey it's our vacation and we wanted to try a nice restaurant in Aruba for dinner as we had never been in a port late where we had opportunity to do so.

Also Senior Frogs is right across the street from where the ship will dock! It's pretty lively in there in the evening!

:cool:

Edited by bigque

Will be doing the Freedom in November. The first 8 day sailing. So no chance of looking at the compasses before we sail.

Can anyone give me tips or ideas of what most people do when in a port late?? We are in San Juan from 1:30 - 9:00 PM. We have sailed out of San Juan 4 times, but never been there on a port stop. I know we will dock right in the middle of town. We don't have any actually plans, but will probably walk around a little and maybe take the shuttle out to the forts.

But what will the schedule be on board at night?? Assume we will go back to dine. But do most people go back off the ship at dinner??

Is the entertainment schedule altered since lots of people not on board? Or do they kinda delay most shows/etc till all aboard??

Just seeking some insight to what most people do.

Thanks

We walk to Fort El Morro, and eat at Barrachina's..

Can anyone give me tips or ideas of what most people do when in a port late?? We are in San Juan from 1:30 - 9:00 PM.

Being one of the first cruises on that itinerary I hope you come back and let us know what you did. I've only been to San Juan once as a port stop (Voyager May of 2006) and the stop was too short.

I have some late port stays coming up in the next two years. The only late port stop I have had in my cruise history was Majesty staying in Nassau till midnight on our 4 day cruise. Unfortunately for an odd reason RC made that the formal night. I look forward to hearing about your trip, this is one we will consider in the future.

Last year our cruise had a late arrival. We did an evening segway tour. It was a lot of fun and informative. It was a fun way to see the old town area. We had seen it several times during the day and it was beautiful in the evening light. I had never been on a segway before and found it easy to learn how to use it. Prior to going out the company provides instruction and plenty of practice time. Some people take the Bio Bay Luminescent tour. You will find reviews in the Ports of Call sections.

Last year our cruise had a late arrival. We did an evening segway tour. It was a lot of fun and informative.

I did the Segway as well during a day stop 4 yrs ago and it was so much fun... this is a great option imo as it's maybe a total of 2.5-3 hours and leaves you plenty of time to walk around on your own and revisit some of the things you quickly saw on the tour itself.

I did this RCL excursion from 4pm-10pm 2 yrs ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45017870&highlight=san+juan#post45017870

I was just in San Juan on Aug 19th... here's a full photo walking tour of the city with both forts. The forts are open until 6pm. Hopefully there's plenty of tips/ideas for you here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50911647&highlight=Day+0#post50911647

Note if you do decide dinner away from the ship is an idea for you consider it like an excursion. Google "Marmelade" restaurant... if you have a very high budget (over $300 + tip for the full meal 6 course with wine pairing... outrageously outstanding in all respects) where you can enjoy one of the best dinner experiences you will ever have in your entire life. Only approx a 3-4 block walk up from the pier. Rated the #1 out of over 700 restaurants in all of San Juan. Easily in the top 5 meals I have ever had in my entire life... but I repeat super expensive.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d792961-Reviews-Marmalade_Restaurant_Wine_Bar-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Hope I've helped you a little here. Whatever you choose to do, have an awesome cruise! :D

Got my toes in the water, my in the sand, Not a worry in the world, a pina colada in my hand. Life is good today, life is good today.

Waterbug:

I don't have an answer to your question, but I just have to ask:

Is there a word missing in your signature, or is it done on purpose?

Got my toes in the water, my ______ in the sand, Not a worry in the world, a pina colada in my hand. Life is good today, life is good today.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Thanks.

Is there a word missing in your signature, or is it done on purpose?... Got my toes in the water, my ______ in the sand...

I'm not OP but I'm thinking she wrote it thusly because it is less offensive as written. The guidelines state no vulgarity, offensive language, etc. in sigs as well as posts. We all know what she meant. :p:D

Waterbug:

I don't have an answer to your question, but I just have to ask:

Is there a word missing in your signature, or is it done on purpose?

Got my toes in the water, my ______ in the sand, Not a worry in the world, a pina colada in my hand. Life is good today, life is good today.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Thanks.

Yep, tried to keep it PG. I think when I did it, I put --- in the quote. But maybe it didn't save that way. Anyway, I wish i was in the sand right now!!!