We are a past Silversea Guest Now Hooked On Seabourn!

dafne

Just returned from Seabourn Odyssey- FABULOUS! FABULOUS!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband and I were on a 16 day cruise from Auckland to Sydney starting February 7th. It was absolutely AMAZING! This was our 2nd Seabourn cruise. IT WAS PERFECT! (We used to sail with Silversea- Seabourn is far Superior in every way. Seabourn is in a different class than Silversea- it doesn't even compare! ) Once you experience Seabourn you would never cruise on any other line.

The service on Seabourn was outstanding! By the 2nd day everyone called us by our names. I do admit that I am very friendly and made an effort to get to know the crew members and talk to them and always thanked them for their great service! Every crew member had the best attitude, always smiling and attentive. The crew members work on short contracts. Four months on – 2 months off. Most other cruise ships crew work 9 months on- 2 months off. So Seabourn crew are refreshed! One of our waiters told us he only takes 1 month off because he can’t wait to come back to Seabourn. You can tell they all love their jobs on Seabourn. It didn’t matter what department a crew member worked in- every person we encountered had the same GREAT attitude! You wonder how does a cruise ship get every crew member to be happy, smiling and treat their guests like they are the most important people they have ever met! THAT IS SEABOURN!

The food was FABULOUS! Chef Martin was the chef on board. He is truly fantastic! We would sometimes shake our heads and say how can food be this good every night and day! The food can rival any of the finest restaurants anywhere. We are from New Orleans and are accustomed to great food. Talking to many other passengers onboard they all felt the same about the food. We ate in the Main Dining Room – called The Restaurant- most nights. They waiters work in teams. They are polished and professional! The head waitress recognized us from our past cruise and we requested her team every night. She would make suggestions for all the different courses. If she felt there were 2 appetizers we should try, or even 3 desserts she would bring all of them out to us to try. The waiters have a tasting right before dinner, so they are able to explain to the guests about the food offerings that night. Every night I had a Mai Tai before dinner in The Restaurant. So there it was 1 minute after we arrived at the table- without even asking for it. Every course was plated beautifully. My husband loves fish and thought all the fish dishes were outstanding. The beef was tender and delicious. Always ask for double cuts. The filet double cut with Peppercorn Sauce was better than any steak restaurant we have been too. (It is available every night on the "Classic Menu".) They also had lots of Vegetarian dishes offered and were also outstanding. Chef Martin deserves a STANDING OVATION for the most amazing food!

We also ate at the Colonnade for dinner for two of their special buffet dinners. (Don’t miss those special nights) So many choices of salads and the quality of the salads made us shake our heads again. Beautiful displays, amazing service again. Wonderful entrees and a huge selection. Outstanding Flaming desserts! We loved sitting on the outside patio of the Colonnade. If it was cool outside they provided cashmere blankets. Then we dined there two other nights when we had late tours in a port. We also ate lunch there many days for their great buffets. Chef Felix- head of the Colonnade was a pure delight and prepared great dinners and buffet lunches there! The Manager of the Colonnade, Yelena was exceptional!

We frequently went to the Patio Grill for lunch by the pool- which has the most delicious hamburgers, fresh made pizza, and wonderful salads. The French fries are the BEST! They had a wonderful selection of ice creams and sorbets every day.

One day at lunch there is a “Market Galley Lunch”- where you go through the galley and food is set up there. Then in the dining room they set up all the salads, sushi and desserts. It was the most amazing thing you will ever see! As I went through the galley line- I made a point to thank every crew member for their wonderful service -even the dishwashers-

because it takes a full team to provide that kind of high quality service to their guests no matter what job that had on the cruise ship.

Also on the last night- they had a special "Good bye Buffet" by the pool. Are you kidding me?

One hour before dinner and there was the most Delicious Pre- Dinner Buffet with all the Chefs and Officers serving you!

Seabourn does not spare any money when it comes to food!

We used room service often to order Ice Tea or snacks. By the 2nd day they knew my usual order and I didn’t even have to ask what I wanted.

We love the idea of being able to dine without making reservations. (We did not eat in Restaurant 2- which does require reservations.)

Our Room Stewardess Bernadette was always so kind, with an amazing attitude. At night she took towels and made displays for us on the bed, or had handwritten notes waiting for us. Any request was granted! She was indeed a very special person!

We met the most interesting people. Most had sailed on Seabourn many times. The ones that were experiencing Seabourn for the first time all said they were now hooked on Seabourn.

We rarely made the shows at night, since we dined late and stayed at our table talking past the shows. We did go to see the Comedian, which we enjoyed. But I did hear the people who went to the shows enjoyed them.

Seabourn Square is a lovely area on the ship that is staffed 24 hours a day to help you with your tours, internet or general questions. They also had coffee, tea, desserts and ice cream all day long. My husband would go there every morning at 6:00 am for coffee and read newspapers. The staff there is so professional and helpful!

I want to personally thank some of the crew that made our cruise so special. Our stewardess, Bernadette. In the Restaurant, Anna, Bogdan, Marco and Lance who were exceptional and attentive waiters. Tarryn (I adored you) and Jill who greeted us at the door of the Restaurant and also The Restaurant Manager who was great! In the Colonnade, Jovan ( had my double ice teas waiting) and Anna ( who heated my croissants every morning) and Szilvester, Anthony, Luke, and Karlis. At the Patio Grill, Goran, Kevin and Venque. A special thanks to phone Guest Services- Lizanne, and Magali who answered all my questions everyday by phone.

If you are looking for 5 Star Experience, then Seabourn is the FINEST CRUISE AT SEA! As I said, once you experience Seabourn you will not want to go on any other cruise line. It still amazes me how they produce such a PERFECT experience for their guests.

My husband I and every night would go back to our cabin and say how can anything be so FABULOUS every day!

We can’t wait until our next cruise with Seabourn.

Thank you Seabourn- for the most wonderful 16 days of our lives!

Sally, isn't this a repeat of your posts from last June? You know, when you splattered the internet with the rave reviews of your first SB cruise? Why the need to repeat the cycle and post on the Silversea forum? Boring.

Sally, isn't this a repeat of your posts from last June? You know, when you splattered the internet with the rave reviews of your first SB cruise? Why the need to repeat the cycle and post on the Silversea forum? Boring.

It's called advertorial or sponsored news and unfortunately there are more and more articles/comments like this in the tourism forums... The way it was written (use of uppercase, etc.) shows it's a professional that done this job.

Fortunately some people (like Oregon50) notices this kind of spam/phishing posts or comments!

It's called advertorial or sponsored news and unfortunately there are more and more articles/comments like this in the tourism forums... The way it was written (use of uppercase, etc.) shows it's a professional that done this job.

Post scriptum: If you want to have fun, just copy the text of Dafne and past it in http://www.positeo.com/check-duplicate-content/

You will see how often the text has been used and modified in several forum.

Edited by XianAtSea

When I first read the OP I assumed it was copied and pasted from the Seabourn website!

Are we to assume that this is a wholly disinterested opinion or might there be just a touch of the interested party about the post?

Because Silversea used to be a great cruise line. But in the last years the quality of their product has gone downhill! Silversea management should take note- and realize they are cutting corners and guests are smart enough to realize this. There are so many recent posts on Silversea forums on how unhappy guests are with the food, service, chipped furniture, overworked crew etc.

I just wanted to let Silversea regulars see my review and let them decide if they want to try Seabourn. Why do you think Silversea is adding all tours now with the cruise fare? Because they have too! They are doing that because they need the business. On this cruise we met crew members that were previously with Silversea and they told us Seabourn is far superior and Silversea is not what it used to be many years ago. Same with past Silversea passengers we met on this cruise -who now have switched from Silversea to Seabourn.

Yes, I am a Seabourn Cheerleader now- because once you experience the difference

between the two cruise lines that is what happens!

When you are paying basically the same price for both cruise lines why not go with the one that strives for perfection?

So many Silversea regulars have so many cruise days and they don't want to give up the benefits they receive. So they are hesitant to try another cruise line and loose their benefits.

By the way I am not a professional writer for Seabourn. Just a passenger! Why did I post this on this board? Because I am passionate about telling the world how great Seabourn is!

Because Silversea used to be a great cruise line. But in the last years the quality of their product has gone downhill! Silversea management should take note- and realize they are cutting corners and guests are smart enough to realize this. There are so many recent posts on Silversea forums on how unhappy guests are with the food, service, chipped furniture, overworked crew etc.

I just wanted to let Silversea regulars see my review and let them decide if they want to try Seabourn. Why do you think Silversea is adding all tours now with the cruise fare? Because they have too! They are doing that because they need the business. On this cruise we met crew members that were previously with Silversea and they told us Seabourn is far superior and Silversea is not what it used to be many years ago. Same with past Silversea passengers we met on this cruise -who now have switched from Silversea to Seabourn.

Yes, I am a Seabourn Cheerleader now- because once you experience the difference

between the two cruise lines that is what happens!

When you are paying basically the same price for both cruise lines why not go with the one that strives for perfection?

So many Silversea regulars have so many cruise days and they don't want to give up the benefits they receive. So they are hesitant to try another cruise line and loose their benefits.

By the way I am not a professional writer for Seabourn. Just a passenger! Why did I post this on this board? Because I am passionate about telling the world how great Seabourn is!

Many thanks for posting such a ghastly review. Not all of us share your passion for Carnival Branded Cruise Lines.

It has however confirmed my worst nightmares and has put me off "Micky's Yachts" for life......

Frankly, I'd rather cruise with Fred Olsen........ At least their passengers are less excitable.....

:D

Yes Sally, I know from your past posts that you are a professional eater and not a travel writer. Overall, many people would agree with your comments about SS. But your style does nothing to promote Seabourn over Silversea. In fact, it has quite opposite affect.

Edited by oregon50

We are novice sailors having only sailed 77 days with Silversea however, there is an itinerary in August which suits us so we are sailing with Seabourn for the first time.

We are curious as to what Seabourn can offer, we can only look at the comparisons others have written who have sailed with both companies.

We are looking forward to the cruise nonetheless.

We are curious as to what Seabourn can offer, we can only look at the comparisons others have written who have sailed with both companies.

We are looking forward to the cruise nonetheless.

And quite right too.

The OP's uncritical paean to Seabourn does little to inform. Clearly, there are many who have sailed both lines and have their own needs and expectations from which they judge each line. The OP's needs have been met for them. Be interested to hear your views when you get back from the Seabourn adventure.

Edited by Tothesunset

Many thanks for posting such a ghastly review. Not all of us share your passion for Carnival Branded Cruise Lines.

It has however confirmed my worst nightmares and has put me off "Micky's Yachts" for life......

Frankly, I'd rather cruise with Fred Olsen........ At least their passengers are less excitable.....

:D :D

So eloquently put, I agree wholeheartedly ROFLOL :D

Our next sea cruise is aboard Silversea Whisper in November, the Amazon. Anticipating this eagerly and hopeful of a comfortable adventure. Cruise after that one is aboard Seabourn Quest, LA-Ft. Lauderdale through Panama Canal. Likewise anticipating eagerly with hopes of comfort.

I am not an experienced cruiser with only one voyage under my belt as an adult, that with Regent on a Navigator this past January. Nevertheless, I am unlikely to be devoted to a single line because I enjoy variety. As long as there are a variety of lines that interest me, I'll be a happy cruiser.

I've been dismayed by the cheerleading on some threads on CC and find them destructive of the credibility of the very lines they seek to promote. Also, some are profoundly unreceptive of opinions not their own and are not above undermining the poster's competence.

I've been dismayed by the cheerleading on some threads on CC and find them destructive of the credibility of the very lines they seek to promote. Also, some are profoundly unreceptive of opinions not their own and are not above undermining the poster's competence.

You certainly speak from experience on that point. And, I agree, irrational cheerleading & un-objective support definitely hurt the brand the cheerleader intends to support.

I was immediately suspicious of the OP's rabid endorsement. I am thinking that in comparison to each other can either cruise line really be all that bad? They probably have far more similarities than differences and seem to be in the same echelon. Am I mistaken? I've only cruised SS and it was certainly nice enough and I would be happy to try SB if there was a unique itinerary. I was immediately suspicious

The OP may certainly enjoy Seabourn more than Silversea, however, the "review" feels like a promotion of Seabourn on the Silversea board for no reason. There are cheerleaders on every cruise line and, for the most part, they are needed for balance.

Some people, for instance, are long time customers of one cruise line and "try" Silversea (or Seabourn, Regent, etc.) and post rather scathing reviews of their experience. Although their experience may have not been what they were expecting, their negative review could frighten away people that are considering sailing on Silversea. It seems that one negative review has more impact that 3 positive ones.

In any case, this is the opinion of a Regent "cheerleader" that happens to really enjoy Silversea. I have no doubt that I would have been a Silversea loyalist if my first luxury cruise had been on Silversea:)

P.S. Think a great topic for a thread would be why you choose Silversea over other luxury cruise lines for your first luxury cruise.

Edited by Travelcat2

I have a former friend who is former because she was always trying to sell me on some pyramid scheme or scam. The OP's post reads like the emails this person used to send me all the time. All those capital letter words make me immediately suspicious.

I have cruised Seabourn, but never Silversea, but the review hasn't put me off. I enjoy reading positive reviews more than the negative variety, as I like hearing good news rather than bad.

CC is a great resource, but there is no substitute for personal experience, so when the price is right, I'm sure we'll have a great cruise on Silversea, as we have been lucky enough to do on Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, etc.

Us cruisers are very fortunate to be able to experience such wonderful vacations.

Ok so here I am open to slaughter….

We did our first " better cruise " in 06 with SS on the cloud. We enjoyed it and booked again in 08 (cruise cancelled)

Time marched on and the little waldos and i were looking at Russia, due to university schedules SS didn't work but SB did… and with identical schedules just 3 days later we went on SB. I was happy but not "wowed"

Whilst onboard we had the chance to do an inaugural season trip to antarctica (Explorer is too small for me and having the PA cruise canned…)

This was the best cruise I have ever taken….tried to book things whilst onboard but dates didn't work and I won't compromise to get less than what i want for my $

So time moved on and I wanted a Xmas cruise… SB once again had no suites anywhere I wanted them on the ship and the itinerary really was passé

SS had something better on offer so I have gone with them….

I hope I have made the right decision… SBs booking no penalty cancellation is losing them clientele

I just hope ss lives up to 06

When we moved from cruising Holland America to Silversea three years ago I did provide kind of a compare and contrast review over on the Holland America board. Yes I understand that there's a significant difference between the lines and a straight out comparison is/was not totally fair but my goal was not to really denigrate Holland America but to share our experience. I still participate over in the HAL section here but I have a lot of friends over there after some 17 years of cruising on HAL and almost as many years on that section of CC. What I don't do is constantly remind them of the differences between the two lines.

Mrs. W - if you want to cruise a particular itinerary at a certain time of year, then my motto would be 'go with the flow'. You may have read completely contrasting reports on Seabourn on the Seabourn board today: so much depends on happenings on board (and not to forget the wishes of the reporter).

We prefer to travel Seabourn; suits our lifestyle and we only cruise within Europe these days, but for the likes of you, who probably have lots of places you wish to see, and time constraints, honestly you cannot go far wrong with any of the 'top' small lines, which to me are essentially Seabourn, Silversea, and Regent.

Suspicious of what? We used to love Silversea. Then on our last cruise with Silversea things started to go downhill. It was obvious management was cutting corners. Some of the food was inedible, the service in the dining room was not polished or professional.

Did we still have a good time? Of course we did- we met interesting people, went to wonderful ports etc. However for the price we were paying there were so many things that needed improvement. I am not a demanding person- I enjoy life and appreciate everything in life. So it takes a lot for me to be unhappy about something.

I think competition is good. Silversea and Seabourn go after the same person who are looking for a small luxury cruise experience.

I can only hope that Silversea Management will see what people are saying and make the necessary changes.

In the member reviews on Silversea on Cruise Critic there are reviews of basically the same itinerary and same dates we took on New Zealand/Australia cruise that shows some of the same problems we had- so I am not the only one expressing how I felt. Here is one:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=272220

Dafne,

I enjoyed your review of SB. Perhaps it the effusiveness of the writing style more than the content of your review which some people have a problem with. But that is you and you should not have to alter anything to please those who disagree with you. jmo.

IMO, the problem was posting a review of Seabourn on the Silversea board when it wasn't asked for. It sounded from earlier posts that the OP has posted about Seabourn previously. If this had been a Silversea vs. Seabourn thread, it would have been received differently (particularly if there were details comparing the two lines). Usually this type of thread is done after the first cruise on a new line. People like to read about the differences between cruise lines (particularly luxury ones).

To me, it isn't about if the review was written well or not - or even the content. It simply does not belong on the Silversea board. JMHO.