Liquor package gratuities

marinaro44

Marinaro44,

there is a 15% charge added to the package when you book it

But OP received this as a perk, so no charge. I also chose this as a perk and have no charge on my booking. Therefore, there's no charge also for gratuities.

OP - I don't know the answer to this question, but it's a good one.

On each cruise I find a way to personally tip 2-3 crew members above the added gratuity. A great bartender is usually on that list. I just slip them cash. This summer I found out that our favorite over several itins was leaving for home. And I gave her a handsome tip. She stuck it in her packet and the next day gave me hugs. WS has some truly great long-term staff.

But OP received this as a perk, so no charge. I also chose this as a perk and have no charge on my booking. Therefore, there's no charge also for gratuities.

OP - I don't know the answer to this question, but it's a good one.

But will 15% of the normal charge for this package ($108/day for two people on a seven-day cruise at 15% would add up to about a $114 gratuity charge) be added to my onboard account upon boarding?

What I don't want is to pull out my keycard and then have to sign for a tip every time I ask for a drink.

I am pretty sure they will add the 15% gratuity once you are onboard. Went through their website but it is not clear. Had free bev package on Celebrity a few years back and I believe they added the gratuity on my stateroom charges once onboard. Would be good to know. A call to Windstar will clear this up

When we had the package on NCL they added the gratuity when be picked the package and the same thing with the specialty dining package. We also carried money around to tip extra. When we sailed Celebrity a few years ago when they first started the free drink package there was no gratuity added so we just tipped cashed.

If anyone finds out the answer please post. I may call inquire.

We have never had the package as a perk, but it would be unlikely that you do not pay a gratuity on it, just as you cannot use OBC to pay gratuities. They are for the staff, not the company.

When we have paid for it, they have just added 15% of the package price to our account at the end of the cruise.

After the first day the bar staff will know you are on the package and will never ask you to sign. They will also quickly know your usual drink at any particular time of day. The bar staff are superb.

I just called Windstar and asked. The gratuities are included in the free premium beverage package and you will not be charged for them. And, as stated, you will not get any chit to sign if you have this package; the rep's exact words were, "they'll just hand you your drink".

As an aside, I've never been asked for my card on Windstar when I've purchased a drink. They just ask my name and room number for the first day, then they remember it.

Edited by 6rugrats

• 1 month later...
I just called Windstar and asked. The gratuities are included in the free premium beverage package and you will not be charged for them. And, as stated, you will not get any chit to sign if you have this package; the rep's exact words were, "they'll just hand you your drink".

As an aside, I've never been asked for my card on Windstar when I've purchased a drink. They just ask my name and room number for the first day, then they remember it.

We opted for the free bev pkge on an upcoming 14 day cruise. On our "My Windstar" page, it's says we have a $1728 beverage package. Hopefully they take 15 percent of that value and put it in the crews tip fund. I presume that's what they do when you actually buy the beverage package.

I will bring cash then for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The crew will only be confused if you tip for each service as you go. They all share in the per day gratuity charge that's on your final bill. I limit cash to a few special people at the end of the cruise, and do it quietly so it isn't obvious. Routine tipping as you go is not part of the WS culture.

Question, does Windstar have a crew fund? Some cruise lines give you the option of giving an extra gratuity at the end of the cruise by contributing to the crew fund. That way the tips are equally and fairly distributed. On Windstar ,service is usually consistent so it is hard to single out one or two people over others who worked just as hard behind the scenes (I.e. Laundry, kitchen etc )

Sent from my iPad using Forums