Bit of a Blog : Crown Princess : Buenos Aires - Valparaiso : February 1st 2017

NorbertsNiece

Hi. This is my first live blog on this board. Here's how it goes ;)

You throw questions at me throughout and I do my very best to find out the answers. I don't actually board for another 6 days but have started a pre-cruise tour. Do follow along or skip the next few days until Wednesday. The frequency of posting will depend on internet access of course as well as the ability to upload pics. Am currently sat in my hotel room in Rio de Janeiro.

Never thought I'd ever write that above statement!

Here's my itinerary. I drew this up when I was supposed to be flying in on the 26th. BA cancelled that flight so my TA flew me and the others on the pre cruise tour a day earlier on the 25th. The post cruise dates / places have been altered but the itinerary remains the same. The red dots are the land tours and the green dots / stars are the cruise :

My%20Itinerary%20Google%20Map.jpg

And the ship one. The arrows denote tender ports :

Cruise%20Itinerary.jpg

This is my first Princess cruise and I'm so excited.

Here is how the trip was described by my TA.... their map drawing skills leave a lot to be desired!

3.jpg

A little bit about me. Over 60. Travelling solo with hip / back history, poor hearing, developing cataracts and damaged vocal chords. Fun eh!!! Been cruising like crazy as an adult since '08. I have a Nikon point and shoot as well as a Windows mobile phone with an excellent camera. Booked with BA in BC. Need that flat bed to keep legs up when possible.

I had an internal UK flight, from Newcastle - Heathrow. It's only an hour-ish. Weather permitting.

London smog had other plans for me this week.

First flight was delayed for well over an hour. I had a 3 hour window between flights originally. Flying BA on both legs means same terminal for the changeover.

Captain explaining that we have to move the plane so that an incoming plane can have our gate and we will wait it out for a slot to be confirmed.

WP_20170125_08_01_34_Pro.jpg

Sunrise over Newcastle airport

WP_20170125_08_25_25_Pro.jpg

You have to have a cloud shot

WP_20170125_09_21_10_Pro.jpg

We get to LHR in time for me to dash to a shop and buy something for the CC Gift Exchange.... yes, I know.... left it to the last minute..... I'm like that sometimes. FB friends will concur. Dash to the BA Exec Lounge to meet up with CC friends only they are in the south Lounge and I've gone to the north. Not untypical of me either.

Head to check in and the people in front of me have their boarding pass replaced; I think nothing of it as mine is too. Board a bus for a really long drive out to the plane. Chat to some others apparently on same cruise tour. Climb stairs to plane and look at boarding pass to reassure myself of seat 10J. I see this :

WP_20170125_13_13_14_Pro.jpg

As a very frequent flyer I am astonishingly aware that this will mean I am turning left..... I mean..... Seriously!!!

I'm now going to bore you with flying BA First Class. I loved every second of the over 11 hours flight. Every single one. I've flown First once before, with Air France when they messed up a booking years ago. This was altogether something else.

WP_20170125_11_21_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20170125_11_22_12_Pro.jpg

I'm Gluten Intolerant. Not allergic. Just sensitive. I avoid bread and items obviously made from wheat. The side effects of some indulgence are not for this post. I'd pre-ordered food in BC which was less likely to contain Gluten..... I've eaten GF food flying before and I did not enjoy it. I avoided bread / crackers and anything I did eat did not impact.

DSCN0968.jpg

DSCN0969.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

After lunch and the film (which is wonderful by the way) it's nap time..... I wake briefly to find the Purser covering me with a duvet.

Another film (Star Trek Beyond) which also has me chuckling out loud it's time for another meal......

DSCN0973.jpg

DSCN0975.jpg

I think we were parked as far away from the terminal as you could possibly get. Just remembered to say we had a lady Captain. Not sure while I feel that's important but it made me smile. Being one of the first off there happens to be one of those motorised carts with a couple of pax sat there. I am beckoned to join them and am so grateful!!!

Baggage retrieval was painless. There are 86 of us on this initial tour which is run by Wendy Wu Tours. Pretty much leave for the hotel straight away. Am staying at the Mirador Hotel, rua Tonalero, Rio de Janeiro. This is described as a 4 star. It's fine. My room is basic and it's clean. Not sure this would be 4 star in Europe in fact I know it wouldn't be. Room does have a safe though and of course a mini bar. There's no iron or board. Or tea /coffee facilities though they have room service.

I'd read Tripadvisor and as a result I emailed the hotel (in Portuguese....no I don't speak it but used Google Translate and have enough foreign language nous to know what I was writing made sense) asking for a high room at the rear.

This is the view from my room at check in

DSCN0980.jpg

Not bad eh? Wish I had my friend Valerie's camera to zoom in.....

DSCN0978.jpg

DSCN0977.jpg

DSCN0976.jpg

End of day 1

Edited by NorbertsNiece

As we had to fly in a day early for our tour we have a free day. I've made CC friends from the roll call with the same itinerary (the ones from my LHR rendezvous Jane and John) and we spent time together today. Sunscreen, Deet and Tilley all applied and we head out to discover Copacabana beach (four blocks away) and Ipanema. On our way there is a crowd of people..... someone is down having CPR applied. Others have their phones out taking pictures. Sigh.

I dip my toes n the South Atlantic and it's lovely and warm. I'm in desperate need of a coffee.... I'm a caffeine-free zone where possible (again a sensitivity) and my attempts at getting a decaf at breakfast this morning fell on deaf ears. I even went to the reception desk to ask how to say decaf coffee in Portuguese. To no avail. We find a coffee shop (there are many) that actually has decaf cappuccino on the menu!! Yay!!! I succumb to a piece of lemon pie. Oh my....

We buy water at a little supermarket near the hotel - 2 Brazilian Real for a 500ml bottle (that's 50p or 62 cents).

There's a free shuttle scheme run by our tour guide and H Stern, the jewellers. I had no idea they were Brazilian. We had car take us to the H Stern workshop in Ipanema. We are able to cab free of charge back anytime. I had no idea how influential H Stern is to the economy of Brazil. They have an audio tour (that plays 'The Boy from Ipanema' throughout) and then the opportunity to purchase something is of course a mandatory aspect of the tour and free ride. There were some lovely pieces but honestly nothing that screamed 'Buy me!!' I'd actually given my bag to John to keep a hold of in the event that I felt the urge to grab my CC.

Ipanema beach is also lovely of course.

Lunch is now in order and we've been given free drink vouchers for a neighbouring restaurant. Lunch was delicious! We were sat outside and local vendors were inclined to garner our interest in their wares.

-------------------------

The view from my room this morning

WP_20170126_08_02_32_Pro.jpg

Rooftop pool at the hotel

WP_20170126_08_58_38_Pro.jpg

The view to Copacabana beach

WP_20170126_08_59_01_Pro.jpg

Small gym

WP_20170126_09_01_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20170126_09_01_31_Pro.jpg

The view of the town from Copacabana beach

7b53a9c3-22aa-416a-a47b-54c78899b20c.jpg

Ipanema contd

DSCN0989.jpg

DSCN0990.jpg

DSCN0991.jpg

Chicken steak burger, pineapple chutney, coriander sprouts, mix of rice and grains with vegetables and labne sauce.

DSCN0995.jpg

Came back to hotel, wrote up yesterday, went to eat in the hotel restaurant. Alone. I mean totally alone. I'm an early bird I guess 615pm.

Clue to dining me happy..... have mashed potato on the menu.

DSCN0996.jpg

Not been able to get a Coca Cola light or diet. They have Coke zero which I don't like. At home I drink the decaf sort. Hotel also doesn't have GF bread or anything specifically labelled as GF.

End of day 2

Oh Linda - this is going to be so much fun travelling with you again.

Super excited for you about the upgrade. Have to admit one aspect would be lost on me as I don't drink alcohol on flights - water, water and more water. However the food looked absolutely amazing - I'd really go for that! Not to mention the other goodies :D

Very much looking forward to hearing how you fare on both the land tour and cruise.

Enjoy! :)

Wendy Wu sent a wallet full of itinerary information. They kindly obliged and sent me a digital copy.

In the Cosme Velho district you will board the cog-wheel train, which will take you through the Tijuca Forest to the top of the Corcovado Mountain. Disembarking at the top of Corcovado you may climb the stairs or take the elevator and escalators to the very top of the mountain where you will stand next to one of the Seven Modern World Wonders, The Statue of Christ the Redeemer. From here you have a truly divine view of the city. Following your descent, you will get to see some of the most beautiful beaches in Rio before dining at a barbecue restaurant where the meal will consist of a great variety of salads, unlimited barbecued dishes and side dishes. Touring will last approximately 4 hours today.

I love trains!!!

We leave at 9am. Early breakfast. Will try and grab pics of breakfast buffet without the crowds.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Oh Linda - this is going to be so much fun travelling with you again.

Super excited for you about the upgrade. Have to admit one aspect would be lost on me as I don't drink alcohol on flights - water' date=' water and more water. However the food looked absolutely amazing - I'd really go for that! Not to mention the other goodies :D

Very much looking forward to hearing how you fare on both the land tour and cruise.

Enjoy! :)[/quote']

So.

I have made some amazing friends over the past 9 years from CC on cruises and love that they still speak to me!!! (Lynne, Jann et al)

Erm...... westbound TA 2018? Did I know about this?

Edited by NorbertsNiece

So.

I have made some amazing friends over the past 9 years from CC on cruises and love that they still speak to me!!! (Lynne, Jann et al)

Erm...... westbound TA 2018? Did I know about this?

No you didn't :p

Join us - August 2018 - still waiting for dates to be released.

BTW Wendy Wu Tours operate out of here too. Will be interested to hear your thoughts post tour.

I know a few folk who have used them for China etc (not interested) but if tours to other places work well - all good. :)