Bit of a Blog : Crown Princess : Buenos Aires - Valparaiso : February 1st 2017

NorbertsNiece

OP - we were in Rio January 4 - 6 and it was 110 degrees. How are the temperatures for you? I noticed you mentioned back and hip issues so this might be helpful in your visit to Iguassu Falls (which are truly spectacular!).

The Argentine side of Iguassu Falls has a golf cart that will take you from the entrance to the small train that stops at 2 stations where the hiking trails originate. It is quite a hike to get to the Falls on any of the trails. I was using a cane and was pleased to see that the park had very basic wheelchairs at each train station (50 reale deposit required at the first station; no deposit required at the second) because I would never have been able to make it to the Falls. The lower trail from the first station has numerous steps so my husband did that on his own. He pushed me on the upper trail (accessible from the first station too) - it was very crowded (we were there on a Saturday) but so worthwhile. The 3rd trail is accessible from the 2nd train station and also very worthwhile and beautiful.

The Brazilian side did not have any wheelchairs (the tour office in our hotel warned me) so we brought one from our hotel. They do have a very nice bus system and there are 2 stops to disemark at for gorgeous views of the Argentine Falls with minimal walking. One of the stops has an elevator to viewing stands at different levels. Of course if you are feeling good, there are longer boardwalks out over the water too (my husband did those).

I hope you enjoy the Falls and have a wonderful cruise. I'll be following along.

Here's my problem capriccio......

I have proper sticks..... back home.... got them out to bring but the fear of excessive baggage charges on the internal flights deterred me from packing them and threw in a hoodie instead for the round the horn bit.

We only get one bag at 23kgs and one cabin bag at 5kgs on one of the flights. And I'm already over.

Flying BC I could get 3 cases!!! So I've stuffed one case and will be wearing my walking boots.

Linda

Edited : I'll be fine and really thank you for your advice. Won't be carrying more than a bottle of water and the camera in my backpack.

Another edit : I hired a scooter for use on board an Alaska cruise.... had booked the prime corner aft cabin and was fearful of that walk. A few months after I had hip revision surgery and all is good (she says tapping the side of her head).

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Have a great trip Linda, I want follow along because I so enjoyed your last live cruise blog last year around my home [emoji537] Australia [emoji1037], happy cruising [emoji568], John

Sent from my iPhone -

typos are inspired by fat fingers!

I've been anxiously awaiting your newest blog and hope you are having a wonderful time!

Please let us know your opinion of doing the land tours with a group vs doing them on your own. I'll be doing this trip in a couple of years so will be very interested in your observations. Also very interested in your opinions about Princess vs Royal as it has been many years since I sailed on a Princess ship.

Hotel wifi as reliable as ship board wifi but at least it's free.

Breakfast buffet

DSCN0997.jpg

There's self serve toast, tea, coffee, chocolate and juices.

We're to meet at 9am in the lobby so I head for the lifts at 830. 15 minutes later I make the lobby..... I have labelled the lifts ; slow, slower, slowest.

The first of three coaches has already left with the guide (Fernando) from yesterday. I board the 2nd with a different guide, Rodrigo. Brilliant guide. Being very tall, dark and handsome has nothing to do with it.

Apparently there are 3 cruise ships in town today so our itinerary has been altered to allow them access to the Corcovado in their available time. We head to the beaches for a drive by and a short stop. (have just checked that website and the only ship I can see in town today is Boudicca)

This is Leme.

DSCN0998.jpg

DSCN0999.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

DSCN1001.jpg

DSCN1002.jpg