Bit of a Blog : Crown Princess : Buenos Aires - Valparaiso : February 1st 2017

NorbertsNiece

I'm Gluten Intolerant. Not allergic. Just sensitive. I avoid bread and items obviously made from wheat. The side effects of some indulgence are not for this post. I'd pre-ordered food in BC which was less likely to contain Gluten..... I've eaten GF food flying before and I did not enjoy it. I avoided bread / crackers and anything I did eat did not impact.

Love your review and pictures. Could you please tell me if it was hard to find gluten free food in Buenos Aires and Rio ? Thanks, Kath

Hi Kath,

Thanks for your question.

The hotel in Rio did not cater for a GF diet specifically at all. The cafe, 'Cafeina', which appears to be a chain, did have cake labelled on the menu as such. Am sorry to say I didn't get much further afield. I did check out a sandwich outlet at the Mall just in case I could grab something there but nothing was labelled appropriately.

Will be sure to comment any specific successes ongoing.

Linda

I will be following all of this very closely! We are doing the equivalent tour to this at the end of January next year. I was given your link via our Roll Call on cruise critic and I am so glad to see your wonderful blog so far. Thank you!

So. Breakfast was interesting this morning. You know that #fakenews thing..... someone assured me this morning that Machu Picchu was closed.... she was adamant. She'd read it online. Whilst I had my phone with me there was no signal in the dining room for me to confirm. Of course she had failed to look at the date of the news she was reading..... in the meantime the word had spread and I had to reassure many that the site was in fact open.

Ho hum

DSCN1286.jpg

DSCN1287.jpg

DSCN1288.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1290.jpg

The only GF item available

DSCN1291.jpg

DSCN1292.jpg

DSCN1293.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

It was not good. There was no GF bread of any description nor decaf coffee. Nor freshly cooked eggs to order.

DSCN1295.jpg

We have a stop en route so that the guides can take down our passport details for our trip to the Argentine side tomorrow. The stop is at a souvenir shop...... surprise surprise. Instead of leaving a bit later from the hotel we are given a shopping opportunity..... my heart soars at the thought of getting a decaf coffee there..... nah..... not on the menu at the coffee shop.

DSCN1296.jpg

DSCN1297.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN1311.jpg

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1313.jpg

First sight

DSCN1314.jpg

DSCN1315.jpg

I then get distracted..... this is a quati. We have been warned that they are voracious eaters. If food is in the hand and one approaches drop the food. My tendency to kneel down attracts their attention but I have nothing edible on me and am not of interest for long. They are everywhere.

DSCN1316.jpg

DSCN1350.jpg

DSCN1352.jpg

As well as quatis there are monkeys, deer, armadillo and jaguars...... spiders and butterflies....

DSCN1353.jpg

Frederico Engel lived in and around the Iguaçu Falls during the early part of the 20th century. He was of a family of German immigrants who had lived in the south of Brazil since 1863. The central plaque suggests that he was keen that the falls should not be in private hands.

DSCN1354.jpg

Lunch time

There is a fast food type of venue, a sandwiches / ice cream / fruit place and a restaurant. I go for a buffet lunch..... hadn't realised how hungry I was!

DSCN1358.jpg

DSCN1359.jpg

Enjoying your report immensely. Please keep posting your GF issues and successes. Especially when you board the Crown. I too have recently been diagnosed gluten sensative and will be sailing on the Crown in March. My first GF experience cruising (on RCCL Oasis) did not go well at all and I am hopeful Princess will be a better experience. I do so envy you the trip you are on..It looks wonderful

Chris

I too have cruised GF on Oasis. Mixed results.....fond memories of a GF pizza on a balcony in Malaga. There's a pic in that blog!

Back from another all you can eat buffet and show. Too tired now to post the afternoon and evening today; we have an early start to head to the border. Here's tomorrow's itinerary :

Travel to the Argentine side of Iguacu Falls. Stop at the Visitors Centre and wander along the Inferior Circuit (down-river falls), and then to the Superior Circuit (up-river cascades). Then take the Ecological Jungle Train to the most impressive observation point of the falls, The Devil´s Throat. The view from the Argentinian side provides a contrasting perspective to the Brazilian side and it is important to see the falls from both sides to complete the Iguazu experience.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Such a wonderful journalist !

Thanks for answering I would prefer small group tours instead of big ones.

I got this blog also wich is nice to share:(from a friend of my daughter)

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/rambling_roamer/4/1457712022/tpod.html

it is important to see the falls from both sides to complete the Iguazu experience. [/color]

So you didnt need a visa for either side?

us Aussies need one for one side( cant remember which one now) , and think its the best side...typical.

I know the drama of the visa turned us off that trip