Oceania B2B Feb to March 6th

ellbon

even years since I cruise this line and I can see some things I like but several I do not. No welcome on with a glass of bubbles. Needing tender tickets vs walking on a tender like Azamara. The cabins are lovely with great storage but to call your butler you call 02 vs a real person.

The icing on the cake was in American Samoa ..Pago Pago. I licked a tour that included Sadie Inn where Somerset Maughan wrote the book "rain". It was raining. On and off but we skipped this and it was One of two reasons to take the tour.

Two days later no answer to why we missed it or if I get money back. We stopped in a market we could walk to from ship. We stopped at another beach nit the one in the book.

When I asked the so called guide she knew nothing. Told us nothing at all.

Seems the tour office does not want to help.

Yesterday in Samoa we had a great guide. She pointed out tons of buildings on the way in and out of town. She explained the art school and our lovely hotel stop before we got there.

I am finding Oceania weak in in music than Azamara. Food about the same. The worse turkey Burger in my life. The so called show people fake .. been called ..my dear once to oftenby a 35 year old vs my name. He was on my tour and does not seem to care there was a problem.

This cruise was a one off to do Tahiti to Sydney. Many newbies are fine with it but I found others who prefer their cruise line of choice.

I am mainly writing this due to the tour dept. the other tours have been ok but the idea is to make the guest happy.

Given the challenge I will try to respond although I admit I don't really know the answer.

Part of the problem, I think -- perhaps most of the problem -- is that Destinations which handles tours is not Oceania. It is a concession. I THINK they can pretty much do what they want.

As to why Azamara can just let people walk onto a tender where Oceania doesn't, I honestly don't know. I do know that Renaissance with the same ships did the same. Even with only 684 passengers I can see where it may be difficult to be able just to tell everybody to get on a tender when they want.

It's never bothered me, probably because I've always had to do it!

Mura

I find it interesting. Over 100 people have read this but not one person can guess why their tour dept so weak. Or why they use tender tickets as on other lines I can walk on a tender.

I've been on Azamara a couple of times, although it was a while ago. I am not sure if we've ever tendered.

How does it work without tickets when they have to tender several tours as well as independents all at once?

They can fit only so many people on a tender so there must be a line - they can't tender everyone at the same time.

I think it's better to sit in the theater and wait your turn rather than stand in line along the stairwell - don't you?

I have cruised on many lines and they all use tickets of some kind for tendering. Some, like Princess, give some of their Elites priority tendering but others have to wait their turn,

Edited by Paulchili

I've been on Azamara a couple of times, although it was a while ago. I am not sure if we've ever tendered.

How does it work without tickets when they have to tender several tours as well as independents all at once?

They can fit only so many people on a tender so there must be a line - they can't tender everyone at the same time.

I think it's better to sit in the theater and wait your turn rather than stand in line along the stairwell - don't you?

I have cruised on many lines and they all use tickets of some kind for tendering. Some, like Princess, give some of their Elites priority tendering but others have to wait their turn,

Agreed.

I walk tondeck three and if the tender is there I and other private tour guests get in first then the tours. We beat the tours down.

The tender leaves when full unless it is like noon when just a few get off. No real line ever.

The icing on the cake was in American Samoa ..Pago Pago. I licked a tour that included Sadie Inn where Somerset Maughan wrote the book "rain". It was raining. .

To the dismay of my wife, I also like to lick the icing on the cake... :)

I am finding Oceania weak in in music than Azamara. Food about the same. The worse turkey Burger in my life.

I've never been on Azamara before - but thanks for the warning not to eat their Turkey Burgers. :)

This cruise was a one off to do Tahiti to Sydney. Many newbies are fine with it but I found others who prefer their cruise line of choice.

I too have noticed this, but have yet to fully understand why cruise lines of choice are preferred? :)

I have followed this thread from afar. I gather the OP will be heading back to the happier world of Azamara. That's a great solution.

Personally, even though the tendering process is somewhat intense, I have always found it workable. People leave the ship promptly and in good order. I am aware that giving priority to ship's tour purchasers is seen as unfair by many who are on independent tours, but generally it seems that they make their connections in good order also

It sounds like this entire experience served to convince the thread starter that Oceania is still not for him. It was nice of him to try it again. Happy future journeys, Ellbon!

Donna