Need internet for airline check-in

CH_ca

Hi, I'm considering NCL Jade from Southampton. The last day is a sea day. The only way I can do flight check-in (I booked direct, so no agent) is by the ship's internet. I don't need to stay connected at other times. Does anyone know what to do without spending an unreasonable amount just for the 10-15 minutes of usage? Or better still, do you have any solutions?

There is an initial charge I believe of about $6-7 just to use and login into the system then something like $0.75 a minute.

Internet Packages LINK:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

I would plan on $30 *(minimum use package) for the complete process to login to the NCL system and then access your airline account pause and check-in and print your boarding passes then log off.

Printing boarding passes or other paper documents at a cost of $0.50 a page.

Note 1:

Most airlines allow you to check in 24 hours in advance of your flight - you do not need to print anything until you get to the airport and line up to use the

kiosk check-in and follow that with the baggage check in.

Note 2:

If you make a port stop with wifi access do your business right then and there if it is free and time permitting with that 24 predeparture flight time - and paper documents being not required.

Note 3:

You really don't need to do this UNLESS you are flying on Ryan Air who will nickel and dime you all the way to the bag claim area at the end of your flight !

Ryan Air charges $45 for customers who do not print boarding passes and check in advance.

Delta American and United it helps to have checked in advance one less line to wait in - baggage check-in still needs to be done physically and may have a fee charged.

Other advantages is claiming your assigned reserved seat without gate check-in.

There is no further advantage to check in - you can not by pass the TSA check point or customs control areas.

If you are planning on cutting all the corners real close on time having each small step done in advance will of course make things easier.

Remember that international flights require more time for the check in processing and customs clearance.

Have frequent flyer - affinity status - TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry use these to your advantage to short cut the time spent checking in !

Just to let you know 'Ryan Air' allow you to check in a week before departure, at no charge, if you download the Ryan air app, you don't even need to print out boarding pass, just use phone.

If on BA you can check in at airports at no charge, but there might not be seats next to each other.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm considering NCL Jade from Southampton. The last day is a sea day. The only way I can do flight check-in (I booked direct, so no agent) is by the ship's internet. I don't need to stay connected at other times. Does anyone know what to do without spending an unreasonable amount just for the 10-15 minutes of usage? Or better still, do you have any solutions?

Will you book a suite? (I looked at your other posts and saw that you might do that.)

If yes, the concierge might help you for free. We asked the concierge on the Breakaway and he let us use his computer for that and we also printed our boardingpasses.

Edited by sverigecruiser

Just to let you know 'Ryan Air' allow you to check in a week before departure, at no charge, if you download the Ryan air app, you don't even need to print out boarding pass, just use phone.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Nexus 9

I suggest to use the internet cafe on board. Like others have stated, you can pay by-the-minute for $0,75 per minute, plus a starting fee of $3,95. If you need prints, you can do that as well, it cost $0,50 per page. If you are efficient when checking in for your flight, then it will just cost you a few dollars.

The Internet Cafe usually offers a special package near the end of the cruise, just for this purpose. Last year it was $25, with enough time to do your flight check-in and perhaps do a couple of other things. It would probably cost you less if you use the by-the-minute rate, but we have found that last-minute package convenient.

Do you need to check in while at Sea? For Southwest checking in 24hrs in advance matters to get a good number for boarding, but if I fly the larger more traditional carriers there's not big advantage to the 24hr check-in. If flying SW and heading to airport right from ship I might pay for the early checkin where the airlines does it for me so no worries for me. If flying say Delta I would just do it once I was in port, maybe in the car/taxi/bus taking me to the airport.

I also love the suggestion of having someone at home do it for you.

Good luck

OP is from Canada (based on signature/profile) and considering the Jade @ Southampton (London) - which could be a round-trip, one-way (TATL) crossing or repo ... that should eliminate Southwest as a possible choice for carrier, unless ;)

Personally, would never fly Ryan Air as one of the worst LCC - our bias, of course.

Get a trusted family/friend to do OLCI with the required secured details ... if getting and/or changing seat assignments are needed. Otherwise, one can usually do that up to 2 to 4 hours before scheduled departure time while en route to the airport after/on the morning of disembarkation.

Ship's internet can be very slow & busy - it's not uncommon to need 10 to 15 minutes to do the check-in for one pax. Does the airline offer a mobile app as you can do that at the pier/terminal or somewhere with WiFi access ?

OP is from Canada (based on signature/profile) and considering the Jade @ Southampton (London) - which could be a round-trip, one-way (TATL) crossing or repo ... that should eliminate Southwest as a possible choice for carrier, unless ;)

Personally, would never fly Ryan Air as one of the worst LCC - our bias, of course.

Get a trusted family/friend to do OLCI with the required secured details ... if getting and/or changing seat assignments are needed. Otherwise, one can usually do that up to 2 to 4 hours before scheduled departure time while en route to the airport after/on the morning of disembarkation.

Ship's internet can be very slow & busy - it's not uncommon to need 10 to 15 minutes to do the check-in for one pax. Does the airline offer a mobile app as you can do that at the pier/terminal or somewhere with WiFi access ?

I get OPs logistics, thanks. I noted SW to indicate an airline where checking in 24hrs ahead (ie. potential sea day) could matter. Otherwise checking in after leaving the terminal works just fine, no need to pay for ship internet for that task.