Nice excursions cancelled

SellaVee

NCL Holdings are continuing to call at other ports along the French Riviera as planned but have cancelled all excursions to Nice. The article I read didn't say how long this would continue.

In the light of recent events their decision to pull out of Istanbul has been shown to be a wise one but it's s such a shame as the Istanbul - Venice itinerary was great. More lines are cancelling stops, including Kusadasi, in Turkey.

I don't really understand spcancelling shore excursions here. Think it was too quick of a knee jerk response. But I know an excellent guide in Noce if anyone is in need.

I do. France has become a target for terrorism.

I don't really understand spcancelling shore excursions here. Think it was too quick of a knee jerk response. But I know an excellent guide in Noce if anyone is in need.

It might just be a logistics issue, so soon after the attack, the tour companies might be recommending to go elsewhere.

From Cannes, MC or Villefrance it is quite easy to see Nice independently by train.

Sad to see this.

Stable door etc.

We were in Nice last year staying opposite a synagogue and it was guarded night and day by armed soldiers so felt as safe as anywhere else in the world.

If you want danger we went to Sistine chapel with no security check of bags and 1 door in and 1 door out.

ISIS could have killed 500 people in 2 minutes.

Now that was dangerous.

Just got off Riviera & Marseille, Cassis & Menton were fine & fantastic! We took to SNCF to Menton from Monte Carlo & it was absolutely fine. So glad we got to go....such a beautiful area.

Just got off Riviera & Marseille, Cassis & Menton were fine & fantastic! We took to SNCF to Menton from Monte Carlo & it was absolutely fine. So glad we got to go....such a beautiful area.

We also got off in Rome, and did not hear anyone question about the few tours that skipped Nice. We were in Monte Carlo just 2 days after the attack so I think they did the right thing. Just happy to be back home. It is a tough world out there and need to be home for awhile.

Since most of the tours I've read have gone down the Promenade des Anglais, which is where all the carnage was, perhaps the city of Nice is not allowing vehicles there right now, which pretty much compromises the whole tour of Nice. Just a thought.

Ann

Since most of the tours I've read have gone down the Promenade des Anglais, which is where all the carnage was, perhaps the city of Nice is not allowing vehicles there right now, which pretty much compromises the whole tour of Nice. Just a thought.

Ann

Probably right.

We were on Regent's Explorer for the Christening the night before the attack in Nice (14 miles away). Both Regent and Oceania have temporarily cancelled excursions in Nice and Monte Carlo. Since they know a lot more than we do, I respect their decision.

We were on Regent's Explorer for the Christening the night before the attack in Nice (14 miles away). Both Regent and Oceania have temporarily cancelled excursions in Nice and Monte Carlo. Since they know a lot more than we do, I respect their decision.

Nice is probably one of the safest European cities to be in now. Terror is not spread by attacking the same city 3 weeks later. We will purposely travel from MC to Nice next week....city needs tourist support.

I don't think O "knows anything". If enough people cancel or do not book excursions to Nice, cruise line will cancel those tours.

I'm in Penn Station (NYC) 8x per week...high terror alert and huge police and military presence there and numerous other NYC areas. Unfortunate part of life now.....but terrorists succeed when people stop traveling and economies that depend on tourism are hurt.

Nice is probably one of the safest European cities to be in now. Terror is not spread by attacking the same city 3 weeks later. We will purposely travel from MC to Nice next week....city needs tourist support.

I don't think O "knows anything". If enough people cancel or do not book excursions to Nice, cruise line will cancel those tours.

I'm in Penn Station (NYC) 8x per week...high terror alert and huge police and military presence there and numerous other NYC areas. Unfortunate part of life now.....but terrorists succeed when people stop traveling and economies that depend on tourism are hurt.

ISIS has formaly declared war on france and called for its destruction.... with the massive influx of Syrians and others fron Libya and Algeria literaly almost all of France is a target that is getting worse by the day

The difference in Penn station and the USA is we have not been so foolish as to let in a million immigrants, fron the Mid east, many of whom are trained ISIS fighters.... BIG difference I hope our leaders take note of Frances and Germany big mistake.. Whatever Europe was even 6 months or 6 weeks ago...it is not now....Id look for a lot of trips to change... a lot

I think O and NCL know a whole lot more than they are willing to discuss...a WHOLE lot that goes for Turkey, Egypt, North Africa and Germany.

Edited by Hawaiidan

ISIS has formaly declared war on france and called for its destruction.... with the massive influx of Syrians and others fron Libya and Algeria literaly almost all of France is a target that is getting worse by the day

The difference in Penn station and the USA is we have not been so foolish as to let in a million immigrants, fron the Mid east, many of whom are trained ISIS fighters.... BIG difference I hope our leaders take note of Frances and Germany big mistake.. Whatever Europe was even 6 months or 6 weeks ago...it is not now....Id look for a lot of trips to change... a lot

Excellent post! There is indeed a huge difference between what is going on in France and Penn station. We have not changed our cruising plans that includes part of the Med., we know that Oceania, Regent and NCL have security advisors and will likely change some ports for next year.

Excellent post! There is indeed a huge difference between what is going on in France and Penn station. We have not changed our cruising plans that includes part of the Med., we know that Oceania, Regent and NCL have security advisors and will likely change some ports for next year.

I do not agree at all. It's very easy to feel smug.....until the attack happens here. As was said after 9/11 we had a failure of imagination. Who's to say we won't again? So those who choose to avoid cities that have already been attacked in Europe that's your decision and I respect it. As for where to travel instead....may I borrow your crystal ball?

I do not agree at all. It's very easy to feel smug.....until the attack happens here. As was said after 9/11 we had a failure of imagination. Who's to say we won't again? So those who choose to avoid cities that have already been attacked in Europe that's your decision and I respect it. As for where to travel instead....may I borrow your crystal ball?

Great post.... +1

I gleen my risk from time honored probability and cultural political climate stats...While not a crystal ball its not too hard to assemble a wide range of facts and related information.

You see clouds in the sky, whats the chance of rain, or tornado, or lightning, You check temp, humidity, barometric pressure, past records, forecasts, satellite reports, and you can get a reasonable probability of what may or can happen.

When one puts all the potential puzzle parts together, like a jig saw puzzle, long before the puzzle is complete one begins to grasp the big picture and can rationally make pretty accurate prediction of what the total picture will be....maybe not all the finished details but enough to comprehend.

Thats how intelligence services work... lots of seeming un realted details that together become very useful in understanding and predicting the situation.

Fear is a debilitating emotion that can cloud perception Rather be wise and thoughtful...logical and deliberate

No crystal ball - that is why I have more trust in Oceania's advisors (and the U.S. government travel websites) than I do in my own concerns/fears, etc. Agree that we could and probably will be attacked again on U.S. soil.

When we were in a port in France 2 weeks ago, I was aware of my surroundings and avoided crowds but still enjoyed myself. We will be in France again in November (Toulon) but most of our ports are in Spain. If it "my time", I'd rather go while on vacation that hiding in my home.

Right now our concern is for all of the people gathering in Rio. Our thoughts and prayers will be with them during the next few weeks.

Do not think anyone is feeling smug, just being smart as to where they should travel in the future.

I gleen my risk from time honored probability and cultural political climate stats...While not a crystal ball its not too hard to assemble a wide range of facts and related information.

You see clouds in the sky, whats the chance of rain, or tornado, or lightning, You check temp, humidity, barometric pressure, past records, forecasts, satellite reports, and you can get a reasonable probability of what may or can happen.

When one puts all the potential puzzle parts together, like a jig saw puzzle, long before the puzzle is complete one begins to grasp the big picture and can rationally make pretty accurate prediction of what the total picture will be....maybe not all the finished details but enough to comprehend.

Thats how intelligence services work... lots of seeming un realted details that together become very useful in understanding and predicting the situation.

Fear is a debilitating emotion that can cloud perception Rather be wise and thoughtful...logical and deliberate

Dan, I usually agree with you, but if I were to have taken the advice you gave, the excited states of America would have been off my list for years - given the free wheeling NRA "give everyone a gun" attitude, the murder rate, terrorist activities/events, etc. Fortunately, I also take into account the wonderful American people who are worth the risks to go and visit USA and the media penchant to make all news sensational. A touch of precaution is always wise and I do hope that the Nice tours are reinstated soon. BTW, I paid for the wrong return ticket on SNCF when in Monaco for a trip to Nice in May - did not get challenged (lucky) but Nice was well worth the visit.

Dan, I usually agree with you, but if I were to have taken the advice you gave, the excited states of America would have been off my list for years - given the free wheeling NRA "give everyone a gun" attitude, the murder rate, terrorist activities/events, etc. Fortunately, I also take into account the wonderful American people who are worth the risks to go and visit USA and the media penchant to make all news sensational. A touch of precaution is always wise and I do hope that the Nice tours are reinstated soon. BTW, I paid for the wrong return ticket on SNCF when in Monaco for a trip to Nice in May - did not get challenged (lucky) but Nice was well worth the visit.

Have you been living on Mars or in a cave for the last few years? These days a lot of precaution is wise and needed. Cruise lines are doing all they can to protect us and that is as it should be. We were in Monaco 2 days after the Nice terror attack and did not hear one word form anyone that any of the tours should go to Nice.

Have you been living on Mars or in a cave for the last few years? These days a lot of precaution is wise and needed. Cruise lines are doing all they can to protect us and that is as it should be. We were in Monaco 2 days after the Nice terror attack and did not hear one word form anyone that any of the tours should go to Nice.

Nice to hear your point of view and you are entitled to it, but no need to go overboard. Perhaps you were with the wrong crowd....

Nice to hear your point of view and you are entitled to it, but no need to go overboard. Perhaps you were with the wrong crowd....
We were on the ship and were with a lot of people when the announcement came over the PA. Everyone thought it was the right thing to do and the same feelings were heard all the next few days. Most people do not wish to put themselves in harms way no matter how small the chances are for something to happen. This was very fresh in our minds. Just two days before. Very scary. Go to Nice at that time. NO WAY

We were on the ship and were with a lot of people when the announcement came over the PA. Everyone thought it was the right thing to do and the same feelings were heard all the next few days. Most people do not wish to put themselves in harms way no matter how small the chances are for something to happen. This was very fresh in our minds. Just two days before. Very scary. Go to Nice at that time. NO WAY

I would imagine some of your fellow passengers might not have had concerns of safety, but did not want go because they felt it was better to let the city heal.

I would imagine some of your fellow passengers might not have had concerns of safety, but did not want go because they felt it was better to let the city heal.

Not what we were hearing around the ship, but a very valid point.

We were in Monte Carlo when the attack happened (14 miles away). When it was announced that excursions in the area would be cancelled, there was not one complaint that we heard of. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, changes with excursions in French ports since they seem to be an terrorist target at the moment.