Do Exclusive Excursions have any benefit other than size?

toxicesq

I’ve done a search but cannot find any recent substantive discussions of Exclusive Excursions. The only thing I’ve learned is that the tour group is smaller. Is there anything other than size that sets them apart from the standard or Oceania Choice excursions? The descriptions of the tours, where both categories are offered, are virtually identical. I did a small group tour of Florence last October on another cruise line and it offered a more in-depth visit to the sites as well as a gourmet-type lunch rather than the standard bus tour group lunch. Are the Exclusive Excursions similarly enhanced?

I am well aware of the advantages of DIY tours, but my question here is focused on the Oceania tours. I’m on the Feb. 4 Nautica Singapore to Hong Kong.

Thanks.

I’ve done a search but cannot find any recent substantive discussions of Exclusive Excursions. The only thing I’ve learned is that the tour group is smaller. Is there anything other than size that sets them apart from the standard or Oceania Choice excursions? The descriptions of the tours, where both categories are offered, are virtually identical. I did a small group tour of Florence last October on another cruise line and it offered a more in-depth visit to the sites as well as a gourmet-type lunch rather than the standard bus tour group lunch. Are the Exclusive Excursions similarly enhanced?

I am well aware of the advantages of DIY tours, but my question here is focused on the Oceania tours. I’m on the Feb. 4 Nautica Singapore to Hong Kong.

Thanks.

Excellent question! I am wondering the same thing. Does anyone have any answers?

Unfortunately I cannot speak from first hand experience but my guess is that size is the only difference.

Just a random selection of a tour on Phuket - the regular and OE excursions are identical in the description of the tour and the length of the tour - thus no obvious difference.

They do mention that on the OE excursion "each tour benefits from a higher level of personal attention and the added flexibility and agility that come from traveling in a small group". I'll buy the more personal attention part but not the flexibility nor the agility part. All participants would have to agree to any changes in the tour itinerary for it to be flexible (like more or less shopping) and that is not likely to happen. Likewise, as there are no specific restriction on age/agility, I don't see the OE excursion being different in this regard either.

People can be just as tardy in a smaller group than in a larger one - it only takes one couple to hold everyone else up :D.

JMO

We took several "exclusive" excursions on the ATW16 and one of the additional benefits is the smaller size of vehicle.

We were often able to get right into town center, the driver stopped, we stepped down, and the guide began telling us immediately what we were seeing.

Rarely did the van have to park a distance away and the passengers have to hike. This was particularly nice for those whose agility, either through injury or age, was not particularly good.

We also seemed to have the very best guide the tour company provided to O and in some of our ports there were few tour companies.

To work for these tour companies many countries require a certification which comes through a college degree and testing.

We never had a problem with understanding his/her English, and being in a small group we were able to ask questions of the guide or offer comments and were easily heard.

Since we were in a small group we were able to get past larger crowds, pull into a nook or corner, hear what the guide had to say, and then move on.

Often we were treated to additional sites not on the itinerary because we were quick, always on time, and the van could move through traffic more quickly and through smaller streets than a large bus.

Most of us knew each other and were determined to never be so disrespectful as to show up late.

If you can, it really is a nice way to tour.

Cynthia,

You make some excellent points based on your own personal experience which gives it an air of authenticity. I stand corrected.

The only difference may be that the level of camaraderie and respect for each other that you had on your RTW cruise may not be there for the average 14 day cruise with "strangers". Nevertheless, it would seem that there are some advantages to a smaller group and may be well worth it to those who are willing to pay for them.

Edited by Paulchili

Most of the difference is size. 12 pass. vans vs. 40 pass. buss. Takes a little longer to get off the bus, but in Europe the busses all have rear doors so it goes pretty fast. The places on the tour are the same so I can not see paying the extra money.

Why not just pre book a private guide (where possible) & get a group from your roll call to join you

That way you can control the size of the group & places that you want to go to

Edited by LHT28

Why not just pre book a private guide (where possible) & get a group from your roll call to join you

That way you can control the size of the group & places that you want to go to

Just what we usually do, but this time we had a lot of included tours so we did them with the ship and they were pretty good.

Just what we usually do, but this time we had a lot of included tours so we did them with the ship and they were pretty good.

I did not think the Exclusive tours were included in the O Life deal ??

I did not think the Exclusive tours were included in the O Life deal ??

No they were not. In the past we did some Exclusive tours but for that much money we have been pretty much doing our own private tours. That being said the regular ships tours were pretty good this time and included for nothing extra.

In Alaska, there were some tours that were simply not available to O Choice participants. Anan bear colony, Skagway roundtrip railroad, some of the fishing, whale watching, etc.

It seems to me that at least some of these were because the groups would be necessarily small and the availability of the trip was limited. For example, only a few people per day can do the bear viewing. Cynically, it also seemed that by making some top interest tours unavailable in OChoice, people would take OChoice and then have to add these tours.

For anyone traveling with children, note that there are no children's prices. We found that in one case, two adults and two children were able to buy virtually the same tour on the dock for half the price and in another instance, all four of us were able to do the same tour for the price for one person if we had bought the tickets through the ship. The two ship tours we chose to use up our OBC were both excellent and quite small-15-20 people. Gold panning and Totem Bight.

My suggestion is to consider taking the OBC, buy the tours from the ship that are most difficult to arrange independently, involve a drive from the pier, or are in a "can't be missed" category for you. That way you can choose OChoice tours or the more selective tours, depending on your personal priorities. Only caveat-some of the very selective tours-Anan bears, for example-were sold out prior to sailing and you can only use OBC to reserve a ship tour once you are on the ship.

We might think differently if we were in a completely foreign territory- Egypt, other parts of Africa-where we might be more trusting of the ship tours and not inclined to go wandering about on our own. Also, be careful about prepaying for any private tours. Schedules change at the last minute and ports are cancelled. Ship tours will likely be rescheduled, and the guys at the dock will still be there hawking their tours but if you prepaid for a private tour and you arrive 4 hours late (as we did in Ketchikan), there is no reimbursement.

Mary

Thanks for the confirmations about the advantages (or lack there of) of the Exclusive Excursions. I'm taking the OBC so I have some freedom as to which ship excursions I select. Currently there are only 6 people signed up on the Roll Call for this sailing, so there hasn't been discussion of private tours yet. But it's still early.

Thanks for the confirmations about the advantages (or lack there of) of the Exclusive Excursions. I'm taking the OBC so I have some freedom as to which ship excursions I select. Currently there are only 6 people signed up on the Roll Call for this sailing, so there hasn't been discussion of private tours yet. But it's still early.

The Exclusives Tour are not part of the O Life Free excursions anyway so you would be paying with OBC or on your account