Venice Debarkation

maggie.1008

Will come in to Venice on O Riviera on Nov. 9th 2016. Where is the ship docked ? Not sure if it is the same area as the larger ships use ? Need to know for taxi pick up. Price to Airport from Cruise Terminal ? Have not been to Venice for several years. Many Thanks, Heather

We disembarked at venice in May and were in stazione Marittima. We booked a transfer before the cruise and it cost 43 euros. When booking the transfer I just gave the ship name, time to be picked up and date.Don't worry they will find you. Disembarkation was a breeze and our driver arrived spot on time. Marco Polo airport however, well that is another story, let's hope you have a better experience than us!

What company did you book with ?

I don't think I can mention the company on cruise critic but I have sent you a friend request, then I believe I can contact you directly. Perhaps Stan & Jim could tell us how to do it if not.

I don't think I can mention the company on cruise critic but I have sent you a friend request, then I believe I can contact you directly. Perhaps Stan & Jim could tell us how to do it if not.

Unless the company you used is a travel agent you can mention it

A friend request does nothing

I hope your experience was better than ours. We had a report time of 4 a.m. in the terminal. We arrived, and there was no one to help us with our luggage. We waited and waited for the buses. No organization. We also paid roughly $150 pp for the transfer. We would not have done that but I wasn't sure what to expect at 4 a.m. re transportation.

When we finally went to the buses (dragging all of our luggage in segments) at around 5 a.m., we were transferred to the airport. Lo and behold we were dropped a distance from the airport and again had to haul our luggage in segments. The area around the entry was closed for construction. One couple did take a taxi and got fairly close, but the taxi driver also helped them with the luggage.

There was absolutely NO ONE from Oceania or their travel rep to guide us. We got off the bus and had to figure it out. We each had 3 pieces of luggage because we had just done back-to-back trips. Not easy.

I was totally shocked with Oceania over this matter. It was like they just wanted to get rid of us. I have sailed them 18 times, and had I had this experience in the beginning, you can be assured I would not have returned. AND, this was the inaugural voyage of the Sirena. I think a little bit of O planning could have avoided this.

My daughter was new to O, and she couldn't believe what was happening.

Make sure you have all your ducks in a row with O, but not sure that would have helped.

Edited by spindrift

Please tell us the company name so we can book our party of 4. Thanks.

Will come in to Venice on O Riviera on Nov. 9th 2016. Where is the ship docked ? Not sure if it is the same area as the larger ships use ? Need to know for taxi pick up. Price to Airport from Cruise Terminal ? Have not been to Venice for several years. Many Thanks, Heather

When in Venice, it's much more fun to transfer by boat to the airport (just my 2 cents). It's not very fast (1 hour, 44 minutes), but a nice end to a journey. The boats depart directly in front of the cruise terminal, they start every 30 minutes between 7.56 and 18.26 and the price is 14€ if prebooked, 15€ bought at the terminal (one large and one small piece of luggage per person included, additional 3€ per piece). :cool:

Greetings, Hektor.

Edited by Hektor

When in Venice, it's much more fun to transfer by boat to the airport (just my 2 cents). It's not very fast (1 hour, 44 minutes), but a nice end to a journey. The boats depart directly in front of the cruise terminal, they start every 30 minutes between 7.56 and 18.26 and the price is 14€ if prebooked, 15€ bought at the terminal (one large and one small piece of luggage per person included, additional 3€ per piece). :cool:

Greetings, Hektor.

Hektor-

For cruises sailing out of Venice, I'm 1000% on your side. The water taxi is a glorious experience, and well worth the extra money and extra effort with the luggage.

At the end of a cruise, however, which is the basis of the origin of this thread, I'm generally ready to call it a morning and just get US and our stuff to the Airport as expeditiously as possible.

IMG_2657-1024x768.jpg

I'm in no mood to wrestle with getting suitcases up and down stairs and on and off boats, and as I remember, the water taxi drivers aren't overly helpful.

On the other hand, if I slip the land taxi driver 20€, he treats me like Bill Gates only living heir ;)

testata_venice_limousine.jpg

Hi - the water taxi looks fun and I suppose more scenic. Guess it just depends on when our return flight is, if we can spare the extra time. Thanks for the suggestion of another option!

Maggie - glad you like San Diego - it is almost as hot as La Quinta today though!!!! Yikes!

If you can, stay a few days extra. We booked a car to pick us up at the ship. Right on time, took are luggage--took us to a dock area, put are luggage on a water taxi that was waiting for us---and off to are hotel. After a great 4 days, same thing, but to the airport. And the airport was full because it wasn't a cruise day.

Have a great trip no matter what you do.

Hi - the water taxi looks fun and I suppose more scenic. Guess it just depends on when our return flight is, if we can spare the extra time. Thanks for the suggestion of another option!

Maggie - glad you like San Diego - it is almost as hot as La Quinta today though!!!! Yikes!

Keep in mind the prices that Hektor quoted are for the public vaporetto bus, and not a private water taxi, which was the picture that Jim & Stan posted. You can plan on paying in the neighborhood of 100 euro for a private taxi.

If you're up for using public transportation, the yellow and white Alilaguna water boat is what you're looking for. They'll take your luggage so you don't have to deal with that, although I hear it's a bit of a walk with luggage once it drops you off at the airport. As stated above, Marco Polo is not the easiest airport to deal with. There also may be a little bit of a walk to get to the Alilaguna stop at the cruise port, depending upon where the ship ends up docking. There's more info on the alilaguna.it website (look for Blu line) or in the "Ports" section of the Cruise Critic boards. Just make sure you understand the difference between private water taxi, Alilaguna boats, and the other vaporetto boats going around Venice - although I don't think they go to the airport.

If you can find others to share a private water taxi, that might be affordable, scenic AND convenient.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal.htm was very helpful for me. Venice is wonderful, but a bit confusing to a first timer. I did LOTS of research before I went last fall.

Hello,

I'd like to organise a private water taxi to take us to the airport on disembarking the ship, not the public vaperetto bus. I know Venice well as a hotel/airport/hotel watertaxi user, but have never cruised/disembarked there or been to the port area. Can anyone tell me the routine for the watertaxi from the cruise ship and all the facts I need to know? Where is the nearest taxi dock located in relation to the ships?, is it only one watertaxi company who operate at that dock?, how do we get from ship to water taxi with luggage? etc etc.

Very grateful for any info from those who have done this,

thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
The O class ships (Marina and Riviera) use the Stazione Marittima in Venice.

venicecruiseport_photo.jpg

Marittima is a 15- or 20-minute cab ride from Venice's Marco Polo Airport. The fare is likely to be in the €30-40 range.

What about the little R's...same dock or another, if you know...

From what I've seen (Marine Traffic) and read, it's rare for any ship the size of the R ships to dock anywhere other than Marittima. However, last year we were on a Viking Ocean ship about the same size as Marina and the O ships, and while she was originally scheduled for Marittima (embarkation for us, debark for previous cruisers), she ended up coming in to San Basilio, which made things a little more difficult for some people to get to/from the airport. However, I believe it's rare for a ship that size to be assigned there, so I would guess you'll be at Marittima. You could always check the Venice port web site to see what they're showing, although that could change later, as our assignment did. We were in Venice for embarkation and took a vaporetto there from the hotel, so I can't tell you how much a cab would have cost, but probably something similar. It's pretty close to Marittima, but with less space for unloading passengers.

Hello,

I'd like to organise a private water taxi to take us to the airport on disembarking the ship, not the public vaperetto bus. I know Venice well as a hotel/airport/hotel watertaxi user, but have never cruised/disembarked there or been to the port area. Can anyone tell me the routine for the watertaxi from the cruise ship and all the facts I need to know? Where is the nearest taxi dock located in relation to the ships?, is it only one watertaxi company who operate at that dock?, how do we get from ship to water taxi with luggage? etc etc.

Very grateful for any info from those who have done this,

thank you.

Just saw this; don't get every Cruise Critic notification. I can't help with all your questions as we didn't take a water taxi, but this should be a start. If you don't get more info, I know someone who took a water taxi from Marittima to the airport last year. I can email her to ask if they came directly to the dock/ship, as the info I found before our cruise was confusing. Of course, you could just call them to ask. I would clarify not just where they will pick you up (by the ship or somewhere else?) but also just where they'll drop you. You may have a little farther to go at the airport from the water compared to using a cab. The port web site lists a number of water taxis:

http://www.vtp.it/en/how-to-reach-us/link-to-means-of-transportation/

There's a map of the port here (also shows San Basilio, Alilaguna pickup, People Mover between port and rest of city, etc.):http://www.italylogue.com/planning-a-trip/venice-cruise-terminal-where-it-is-how-to-get-there.html

The problem is that the diagram shown there has a color coded area for water taxis, but it's unclear to me what it represents. I found another diagram from a Mediterranean Ports site, but it shows an icon for water taxis at the top of the U-shaped basin, which may only represent a kiosk or something rather than where taxis can go.

We cruised in late September of last year and when we were there, at least 6 large cruise ships were docked at Marittima. I took a vaporetto that circled around past it and enjoyed seeing all the cruise ship. Finally I saw mine at San Basilio. It was an extra fun vaporetto trip!

The VTP port site has some good info: http://www.vtp.it/en/how-to-reach-us/

Hope that helps.

Edited by roothy123