caribbean

griffster

hi everyone. my hubby and i did our first cruise 2 jan 2016 to the canary islands on ventura, and oh my, we loved it, from start to finish. we did go thro a force12 storm, but i was absolutly fine, i am surprised to say. we could not fault anything, yes it could have been a bit warmer, but what the heck, it not spoil it the adventure. anyhow, i am now looking to book a 2 week cruise to the caribbean on AZURA on the 15/12/2017. ( it will be hubby and i 70th birhdays and our golden wedding, so i was wondering if anyone has any tips or advise for us i cant wait!!!!!.thankyou. lynn. ps. we will be flying from manchester to barbados

hi everyone. my hubby and i did our first cruise 2 jan 2016 to the canary islands on ventura, and oh my, we loved it, from start to finish. we did go thro a force12 storm, but i was absolutly fine, i am surprised to say. we could not fault anything, yes it could have been a bit warmer, but what the heck, it not spoil it the adventure. anyhow, i am now looking to book a 2 week cruise to the caribbean on AZURA on the 15/12/2017. ( it will be hubby and i 70th birhdays and our golden wedding, so i was wondering if anyone has any tips or advise for us i cant wait!!!!!.thankyou. lynn. ps. we will be flying from manchester to barbados

1. Look for alternatives to the ships tours which are expensive. Do lots of research for alternatives - there is plenty of information in the Ports section on here. A lot of the ports are a simple walk off the ship and you are 'in town' where you will find lots of taxis to take you to beaches or tours, you can often share a taxi with others to make up a tour party. Also some local buses are good value, especially in Barbados were you can get to the West Coast beaches for $1. Basically you have lots of time to research it. One to start you off is Cosol Tours in St Lucia - excellent tour, very well rated on tripadvisor.

2. Take a short 4 way extension lead for charging etc as there are not many spare sockets in the cabin.

3. Get up early for sunrises if you like taking photos.

4. Ask advice on here or the Ports section about individual ports.

If you have any questions about Azura or the places you will visit please ask

Here is a bit of info about some of the ports in the Caribbean I have written and shared previously. Some of the prices might be a little higher as I wrote this a couple of years ago.

'A little about some Caribbean ports of call'

St Maarten

Port:

Catch the water ferry ($6 for an all day wristband last year) to the beach from the cruise terminal. Great place we have always stayed in the bay so can’t comment on the island. It is very American lots of nice bars and the place to buy duty free, jewellery. Sunbeds and brollies on the beach usually in front of the beach bars so someone comes out and you pay them (I think it was $10 for 2 beds last yr.) then they will run back and forward if you want drinks or snacks!

Ships excursions we have done here are the Golden Eagle catamaran lovely afternoon cruising down to ‘airport’ beach watching the plane land, snorkelling off a lovely beach and loads of rum on the way back! I have also done the America’s cup yachting here a great experience.

Antigua

Port:

The first time we came here it rained!! So we didn’t go anywhere but walked around the town and had coffee. There are a few nice arty shops if you like that as well as the usual touristy ones quite a nice place for a wander.

We have also been kayaking here out in the mangrove swamps! Also visited one off the small islands on the Atlantic side of Antigua, Bird Island the sea is very rough on that side not for the faint hearted. It is a very beautiful island so probably a good island to go out and about there are the English Harbour and Nelsons Dockyard, which are popular places to visit. If you are a cricket fan there is a cricket tour you and do which visits the test ground and you meet one of the Caribbean cricket stars. We have used the local taxi’s here but do look after your belongings, as this is where our youngest son ‘lost’ or had stolen his iphone. Please don’t be put off by this, as 99% of the people on the islands are friendly. On our last visit here we went on the Crusoe Island excursion this was fantastic, about 40 people on their own island for the day open bar, music and lunch thoroughly recommend if you are a beach bum.

Dickinson beach break, nice beach can get busy but big and long enough for all

Dominica

Port:

There is a warehouse where the ship docks, the locals set up a market there so ok for a wander. The town is about a 20-minute walk away not very much there though. We have also docked right in Road Town right in front of the local market depends if there are two ships in port.

We have done the Arial Tram in the rain forest here I liked it. Great for seeing the rainforest, plants, trees and I did see hummingbirds don’t think P&O do this one anymore though. We have also been river tubing here three times we loved it but only great for those who love the water and getting wet. Tried the tubing on the Pagua River in the Carib territory but the journey there and back is very long and over very poor roads so if tubing on the Layou river is available this is a much better option.

We have also visited the waterfalls here and then went to a black sand beach (Mero) for a couple of hours. Not an island for beaches it is a very much a tropical rainforest island with small narrow roads, mountains and valleys you do need to get out of the port to experience it but I would probably always do a ship excursion here due to the roads and terrain if you are late back on a ship tour the ship will always wait for you!

Barbados

The actual cruise terminal has lots of shops etc but walk (about 15mins) or taxi it to Bridgetown a lot more here. As far as beach you could get a taxi to Malibu on Brighton Beach it is about 10 mins from the ship and for about $5 you can have a tour of the distillery. There are beds and a bit of shade on the beach it is an absolutely beautiful beach

If you take a taxi anywhere on most islands you only pay the driver when he returns to take you back to the ship just give yourselves plenty of time to get back before the time they want you back on-board. There are lots of things to see and do in Barbados depending on whether you are beach fans, like the fauna and flora things or getting out on the water. My favourite time here was on a catamaran sailing down the coast stopping at Sandy Lane beach then out to a reef to swim with turtles. Most times here though we just walk into Bridgetown then out the other side onto Carlisle Bay for a swim and a beer. (Check it out on Google earth)

St Lucia

We have always gone out here, there are two cruise terminals the one on the right side of the bay does not have much, on the left side it is much better with shops and bars. Lots of taxi’s offering trips

We have visited Pitons and the volcano. The last couple of times we have got a taxi to Wharf Bar on Choc beach. There is a small Sandals resort at one end but it is quite quiet there is never that many people there. Unfortunately now this beach is only half as lovely as our first visit as during the rainy season a river flows out into the bay, and a lot of sand and palm trees have been washed away. We have on our last couple of times gone up to Rodney Bay it does get very busy if there are a couple of ships in port but it’s a nice beach plenty of bars, shops if you want to wander off the beach.

For a first timer in St Lucia I would probably visit the Pitons and the volcano whether you do it in an organised excursion or take one of the local taxi’s maybe share with someone else from the ship.

Aruba

On our first visit here our friends got married so our day was spent at their wedding! We did go to a beautiful beach for photos after it is an island much like Barbados of white powder sand beaches and resort hotels. Our last couple of times here we have caught the local bus to Eagle beach its only about 5 US dollars return for both of us! The sunbeds and straw umbrella cost us over $20 on the beach and a couple of beers were expensive at $6 dollars each though.

Bonaire

Went to a coral beach (Eden beach) for snorkelling as the reef is very close to the shore amazing for this as this island is one of the top dive sites in the world, beach shoes are a good idea as the sand is crushed coral We walked off the ship in the afternoon, as there is a small market and craft stalls set up on the quayside and few bars and a couple of drinks in one sharing the table and nearby tree with come of the largest iguanas I have ever seen!

Recently we have taken one of the ‘Chiva’ buses around the island seeing the flamingos, salt lakes and the slave huts then stopping off at a lagoon/beach for a couple of hours.

Curacao

First time we visited we docked right inside Willemstad the floating bridge was opened to let us pass through. We took a taxi to Sea Aquarium beach nice sandy beach quite close to Willemstad for a couple of hours, although if there are other ships in port this can get quite busy. Then spent a couple of hours in Willemstad across the floating bridge is a nice shopping area, restaurants and bars. Second time here we docked at the Mega pier just outside Willemstad the cruise terminal area has nice bars and shops and you can walk into Willemstad in about 10 minutes. We did a beach transfer here to a beach just a little further up from the Sea Aquarium beach. There is a highly recommended local bus company called Irie Tours, which have a tour, stop at the Curacao distillery, and an hour or so at the beach admission price included all for $20 (also beer and soft drinks!) .

Grenada

The water taxi’s directly next to the ships pier will take you to Grand Anse beach and bring you back again, think the last time we used them it was $5 dollars each way? Might have gone up to $6 now, make sure you get some small $ bills when getting your holiday money. The water taxi’s run all day every 15 minutes or so. Grand Anse beach is huge so if you are looking for a quiet spot don’t take the first sun beds offered walk further along the beach. There is a market area where souvenirs, cold drinks, food and toilets are available. We no longer go to this beach having found our ‘ideal’ beach a bit further a field the name of which I have been asked not to say!! Grenada is the spice island of the Caribbean so a place to taste and buy the wonderful spices available here, we usually go home with a few but jerk chicken is probably the only thing we have cooked at home!

Tortola

We have visited several times here is a brief over view of the excursions we have done as value for money the Tortola excursions are cheaper than the other islands.

Beach transfer – this is usually to Cane Garden Beach a lovely beach but can be crowded if more than one ship is port. This is easily available by local open sided buses and cheaper than the ship excursion costs just allow plenty of time to get there and back. (Once our buses gear box fell out!! Had to wait for his mate to come and pick us up luckily it was on the way there so we had all day)

Virgin Gorda – have done this twice it is about a 45 minute ferry or fast motor boat ride across but it is an amazing place. It does involve quite a bit of walking and if you wish to go to Devils Bay you have to climb up rocks, steps etc., go in water up to your knees and be able to bend down quite low. Again if there is more than one ship docked or a ship tendering off Virgin Gorda it can be busy. The first time we went here we were lucky enough to be the only visitors apart from the yachts and private motor boats, last time it was very busy as two ships were docked in Tortola and a Silversea cruiser was tendering locally.

Jost Van Dyke – a 45 minute motor boat ride through Sir Francis Drake Channel takes you to an island on the other side of Tortola where you have a couple of hours on a fine white sand beach White Bay. There are a couple of bars here and you get a snack and a drink included in the price. Good value and a nice excursion.

Virgin Island Sailaway – did this last time unfortunately we did not have the greatest of weather quite showery and overcast the whole time. A catamaran sails you to Peter Island where you have chance to snorkel. I did enjoy this we saw rays and an abundance of fish. A stop on Norman Island at a beach club for a drink you can also buy lunch here, the beach is not great but then we did not have the weather that day. An ok excursion good for a bit of snorkelling and a sail on a catamaran (obviously the poor weather made it less enjoyable for us)

Skyworld and Cane Garden Beach – great value if you have not been to Tortola you see the island have a great photo opportunity (Skyworld is in fact a restaurant in the middle of the island where you can go on the roof and see for miles on a clear day) then go to Cane Garden Beach for lunch and time on the beach.

St Vincent – not a favourite port the town is quite run down and not a great deal to do locally. There is a water taxi on the pier which will take you round to Villa beach a narrow beach with a few bars etc. can become crowded if lots go there.

Have done the Waterfall and Coast excursion which will take you to the film set from pirates of the Caribbean, after about an hour or so in a bus so you see a bit of the island, lunch at a restaurant then a cruise back to the port.

Escape to Bequia – a catamaran across to Bequia where you have some time on the beach and lunch on-board. I loved this as it was very much real sailing as it can be quite gusty and choppy sailing across but those who don’t have very good sea legs did find it a problem as it is quite a long way, (my husband would not do it again).

Hope you find this useful.

Edited by vizzog

You have already got some great advice on this site and I am sure you will get lots more. We were in the Caribbean on Azura in February and had a great holiday. We loved the ship and although we had been to the Caribbean previously on Oriana, Arcadia and Ventura we thought the atmosphere on Azura was the best. We flew from Manchester on the Dreamliner which was really spacious with is important on a long flight. Don't hesitate, just book it and enjoy.

.......... it will be hubby and i 70th birhdays and our golden wedding, so i was wondering if anyone has any tips or advise for us

* Definitely book Premium Economy only cost £299pp.

* Book the Speciality Restaurant for your special day online before travel.

* Don't forget you can take bottles of champagne for cabin use without charge.

* Take your favorite coffee for the cabin - P&O free coffee not that good.

Don't forget pack your smile and enjoy yourself, P&O is not all bad !

Edited by jody75

I wouldn't pay £299 per person to upgrade. That's a lot of money.

I definitely would, the massive extra legroom and wider seats make for a pleasant flight especially the night return leg. OP, I would suggest you read the Website Seat Guru for advise on whether to book premium or not, remember if it were a Virgin Flight the upgrade cost would be treble what Thomson charge, a definite bargin in my book, but you need to be book early because Premium Economy does sellout quickly.

Just to add my tuppence ha'penny:

Barbados - we did the submarine tour through P&O - you can't book it direct. We all loved it and were blown away by just how many specifies of fish, types of coral, etc. you got to see.

Aruba - we just wandered along the boardwalk enjoying the views out to sea, then into town to look round the shops and enjoy a local Balashi beer.

Grand Cayman - rum distillery tour. Took a taxi from the port, you can book the tour direct with the distillery online. The distillery is only small but the tour was amazing value and great fun, unlimited samples. Taxi back to the town for a wander round the shops.

Jamaica - Courtney Taylor Tours. Very helpful and friendly during the booking process. We did the river tubing/beach/lunch/shopping tour and it was fab. Again very good value. If you don't like any of their set tours they will tailor something for you and are happy to change things, i.e. we could have spent longer at the beach if we'd wanted, or not bothered with lunch (although we went to a local's restaurant where the food was amazing). Driver Karl-Lynton treated us like royalty - nothing was too much trouble.

Tortola - we were supposed to go to the beach DIY, but DS had skinned his shins on the sports court so that was a no-no. We wandered around town and found the locals to be really friendly, ended up at the small but pretty Botanical Gardens. There is a church next door and wandering around the tropical vegetation in the Caribbean sun with the sound of Christmas carols drifting over the fence from the church was very surreal!

St Maarten - Twin Island Tours. Brilliant tour, including time at the beach, in the French capital Marigot and at Maho Beach for the planes.

Antigua - Scenic Tours' Island Tour minus beach stop. Covered the whole island - rain forest, Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, cricket stadium, oldest church on the island. Our driver Hudson was fantastic.

Dominica - as we were docked at the container port took the local shuttle ($2 pp?) into town and planned to just walk around. Don't think there's much there at the best of times, but the island had been devastated by a hurricane earlier in the year. Even away from the main drag we were pestered to death by people offering us tours, so that and a combination of downpours every ten minutes took us back to the ship after a couple of hours.

Grenada - Grenada Sunsation Tours. Very cheap for what we got. If you are interested in plants, herbs and spices this tour is amazing. Glenn, our driver, drove us through the rainforest picking us fruit from the trees, telling us all about the plants and wildlife, etc. Also went to Concorde Waterfall and the Nutmeg Processing Factory (which was a bit of a letdown).

You will have an amazing time and what a way to celebrate your birthdays (we were celebrating our silver wedding).

hi

well i would like to thankyou all very much for your info, i am taking it all on board. the one thing i would and always wanted to do, is swim with the dolphins. do hope we get the chance. thanks once again