Picture waste?

moongal

Hello, just off a first cruise on the Magic here and am wanting to comment on the picture waste I witnessed.

I saw everyone getting their pictures taken and we ourselves posed for and bought quite a few, but I was completely taken aback by the massive stacks and stacks of photos at the end of the trip that were just going to go into the garbage bin.

It seemed an enormous waste of photo paper and ink or chemicals.

I know the carnival higher ups do not spend their days reading these posts, but is there any way to get them to consider a less wasteful method for selling photos?

In this digital age, I don't understand why the pics cannot be viewed online or at special kiosks and then only actually print the ones you wanted to purchase.

When we did our dolphin encounter in Grand Cayman we were directed to a computer screen where we had to select which photos we wanted to purchase and those were printed out so there was no waste.

Perhaps there could even be a channel on the stateroom tvs where you could peruse the pics in your room and make note of its number and then have only those printed.

We need to all work together to protect our beautiful planet for our children and this just seemed so wasteful especially when you multiply it by all the ships on the fleet.

I totally agree. My family does what we can by not letting them take our pictures unless we specifically ask them to. About the only time we've asked them to is when we're right in front of a glacier in Alaska or in front of locks in the Panama Canal and then I purchase those pictures.

The amount of paper and chemical waste is horrible.

Where did you come by this information? (That photos are recycled 3 times....not trying to start a fight but just curious, I would be interested in reading about how Carnival is eco friendly. I was under the impression that most photographs are not recyclable due to the chemicals, although some modern printing can be recycled.

They print them because they sell more that way. There are a lot of people who can't stand the thought that their picture is going to be destroyed. We asked at an amusement park one time and they told us that they switched back to printing because sales were cut by more than 50% when they had the computers for people to look at. When you have it in your hand you have more of a connection to it. As long as they sell more pictures by printing them, they will keep printing them!

Royal caribbean has a Kiosk that uses your room number and facial recognition to digitally pull up all your photos, then they order the photos from there, its brilliant/.

That's only on some RCL ships. It is a great approach.

Where did you come by this information? (That photos are recycled 3 times....not trying to start a fight but just curious, I would be interested in reading about how Carnival is eco friendly. I was under the impression that most photographs are not recyclable due to the chemicals, although some modern printing can be recycled.

Take the Behind the Fun Tour on your next cruise, they tell you how they recycle everything possible.

The waste aspect of this doesn't bother me. What does is having a hard time finding pictures and the crowds looking through them. Hard to believe there's not a more automated way of finding and reviewing pictures.

THe reason they take so many pictures and print them out is because that's the way they sell best. That is not brain surgery. Trouble is - so many of the pictures are so good that we always spend too much on them.

THe reason they take so many pictures and print them out is because that's the way they sell best. That is not brain surgery. Trouble is - so many of the pictures are so good that we always spend too much on them.

Probably. And if they sell more that way, then they should continue to do it that way. I would rather have an easier way to review them.

I wish they had something like the Disney photopass. You pay $100-150 and get your pictures taken as much as you like. They swipe your card and you get digital copies of all of them. I would buy that on every cruise!

The very first time we were on the Magic (2012), they did have kiosks that you could search photos as well as the printed photos along the walls. When we returned in 2013, they had taken away the facial recognition kiosks. I have always wondered why as it made it so much easier to find your pictures and less time consuming.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've always had the reverse problem, lol. The majority of the pictures are either bad or out of focus, so it's hard to find one where the pose itself is good, no one is blinking, AND the picture is in focus.

I just wish folks would realize they are under no obligation to pose for all the pictures the photographers want to take. I hate when there are 1500 folks waiting to get off the ship and everybody is stopping to get a picture made on the gangway that they have no intention of buying.