Cruise ports

We-R-Off

Now you see our frustration. Princess never made it clear that we were tendering into an industrial area so far from Stockholm with no tourist transportation. We were on board the ship the night before when we found out (from other passengers who were complaining) and really had no other recourse but spend the $69. Per person, of course. And, the decent Princess excursions were all booked -- probably by people who knew about this beforehand. We were so prepared and well-researched on every other port so this was a real surprise. It was the only aspect of our cruise that we were disappointed with Princess. Other than that, it was amazing.

• 1 month later...
I'll third the Rick Steves book. It has a lot of great info.

I felt like Stockholm was very easy to get around. We went back into town after a ship excursion and had no problems. It is a bit of a ride, but our ship (DCL) had free shuttles.

Yes, the port in Copenhagen for us was very far from the tourist part of town. The cruise departed from Copenhagen, though, so we stayed several days prior. It is a very easy town to get around once you get to the tourist areas. I'd also highly recommend the free walking tour that starts at city hall square.

We did a private food tour of Tallinn. It was wonderful and not expensive. I know that's not what you asked about, but it was WAY cheaper than any ship excursion, we learned so much about Estonia and it's history, and had a 5 course meal scattered around interesting parts of the city. We could not have done that on our own, or even known where/what to order when it came to food. We had several local traditional foods.

Who did you use for private food tour?

If it's any interest or help, videos of those ports can be viewed from 'THE BALTICS' playlist link in my signature below. Other than St Petersburg they were all done on our own, but the Berlin ones were from a 'land holiday' All the best, Tony

Brilliant videos Cornishpastyman! i enjoyed looking at them - either places I want to go in the future or enjoying the memories of places I've been to :)

We did all the ports on our own except SBB where we booked Alla Tours. In Copenhagen we did the HHHO bus which stopped right outside the ship. In Stockholm we had an overnight stop, so bought a 24 hour public transport pass which was good value for money. You can use it on t he metro, buses, tr arms and ferries.

In Tallin we took a taxi to the top of Toompea Hill and walked down through the old town. We didn't visit Helsinki.

How did you find the HoHo bus in Copenhagen? I enjoy a Hoho tour and find it a good way to get around but I've seen bad reports online of the Copenhagen one and also from a friend who has used it.

The problem we had with the HOHO in Copenhagen was that it was very busy. We got on right outside the ship, which was fine as there was more than one bus. However, we were then taken to a central point where we had to change buses.

There were a lot of people there and no organisation. It appeared to be run by students who didn't have a clue.

Once we were on the bus it was fine and as far as I remember we didn't have the same fiasco on the way back.

We only did the HOHO because I have limited mobility and as it was a Sunday the public transport us to the centre wasn't operating. I had also been to Copenhagen before for a long weekend.

BTW you can pay by cash or CC when you get on the bus, so no need to pre book.

How did you find the HoHo bus in Copenhagen? I enjoy a Hoho tour and find it a good way to get around but I've seen bad reports online of the Copenhagen one and also from a friend who has used it.

The HOHO bus in Copenhagen pulled right up to the ship. It was raining and we thought about using it but passed. Turned out it was a good decision as we were able to see everything on our list by walking.

The problem we had with the HOHO in Copenhagen was that it was very busy. We got on right outside the ship, which was fine as there was more than one bus. However, we were then taken to a central point where we had to change buses.

There were a lot of people there and no organisation. It appeared to be run by students who didn't have a clue.

Once we were on the bus it was fine and as far as I remember we didn't have the same fiasco on the way back.

We only did the HOHO because I have limited mobility and as it was a Sunday the public transport us to the centre wasn't operating. I had also been to Copenhagen before for a long weekend.

Thanks for replying so promptly. The bad reports I'd seen mentioned made to wait for long periods and being disorganised but your experience doesn't sound too bad.

Thanks also about the info re paying.

The HOHO bus in Copenhagen pulled right up to the ship. It was raining and we thought about using it but passed. Turned out it was a good decision as we were able to see everything on our list by walking.

Thanks for this although I do like the overview of a place that the HoHo bus provides when you only have one day. I am interested in Rosenborg Castle, not sure if that is walkable?

Rosenborg Castle is an easy walk from the Norreport Station.

Our ship was docked at Oceankaj and I took the bus from there to the Norreport station and walked to Rosenborg Castle (less than 10 minutes).

On another day in Copenhagen, we did a 3-hour walking tour of the city with Copenhagen Free Walking Tours. (There's no cost for the tour, but you tip the guide.) Ours was an excellent tour which I highly recommend (as long as you don't have mobility problems.)

Depending on how long you are in Copenhagen, you could do both the walking tour and Rosenborg Castle. In summer, the castle is open from 9am - 5pm and you should be able to see it all in 1.5 - 2 hours. The Grand Tour (3 hours) offered by Copenhagen Free Walking Tours is offered at 11am and 3 pm.

Rosenborg Castle is an easy walk from the Norreport Station.

Our ship was docked at Oceankaj and I took the bus from there to the Norreport station and walked to Rosenborg Castle (less than 10 minutes).

On another day in Copenhagen, we did a 3-hour walking tour of the city with Copenhagen Free Walking Tours. (There's no cost for the tour, but you tip the guide.) Ours was an excellent tour which I highly recommend (as long as you don't have mobility problems.)

Depending on how long you are in Copenhagen, you could do both the walking tour and Rosenborg Castle. In summer, the castle is open from 9am - 5pm and you should be able to see it all in 1.5 - 2 hours. The Grand Tour (3 hours) offered by Copenhagen Free Walking Tours is offered at 11am and 3 pm.

Thanks for that :)

Just to current a little mistake, there are also public bussen to the cruise piers in Copenhagen on Sundays (and public holidays).

Langelinie pier is served by the 26 bus and Oceankaj is served by bus 25 and 27.

Very few ships decks at the freeport terminal (Levantkaj and Orientkaj) but here the Nordhavn station is in walking distance or else bus 27 stops outside the gate.

Our days in Baltic Ports will be Independent Tours or HOHO buses except Russia. Question: Is there ANY port where there is no Taxi Line or Tour Kiosks etc near the gangway? We've never been to some of these Ports o Call. Locomotiveman Tom and Peggy

Thanks Re: Stockholm HOHO ...so to Re-phrase, 'Are there ANY Baltic Cruiseship Ports that have dreadful Transit options near the Gangway for the casual day-tripper that wants to wander the area on a whim without being hostage to metered Yellow TAXI, as I won't walk in cold drizzle. Locomotiveman Tom

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, Locomotiveman, but here's our experience from our Baltic Cruise in July 2015:

There were some taxis at all of the cruiseports, but I don't recall seeing tour kiosks. (They aren't like the Mexican or Caribbean ports in that way.) We used public transportation or our own two feet to get from the port to the city.

Copenhagen--Bus from Oceankaj to two different stations (Osterport and Norreport) where you can pick up other buses or Metro to the various city sights. It was easy to do.

Kiel--Easy walk from port to the main train station (hauptbahnhof). From there you can take a train to Luebeck (which we did) or Hamburg. There's not that much to see/do in Kiel itself.

Tallinn--You can just walk from the port into town--15 minutes max.

Helsinki--The tram station is just outside the port area. You can take the tram to the main station and walk to the Market Square from there. It was also easy to do.

Stockholm--Our ship arrived at Frihamnen and the bus was just outside the port area. The bus takes you right into the Old Town. It, too, was easy to do. (If your ship arrives elsewhere, it won't be so easy to get to Stockholm.)

Warnemuende--You can walk right from the ship into town. If you don't stay in Warnemuende, you can take the S-bahn to Rostock where you can get a train to Schwerin. (We spent the day sightseeing in Warnemuende and took the S-bahn Rostock too--easy.)

I agree. In Tallin, very very easy to DIY. In Helsinki, we took the bus across the street from the port and then used the trams. We found the trams a bit confusing and didn't find many who spoke English on the trams so be prepared to know where you are going. In Stockholm, we found the HOHO boats easy to use and left right from the port. The HoHo bus was a waste of money. We only tried them once and made us sit on the bus for 45 minutes while they waited to fill up the bus.