Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

1) with entrance, dinner goofing around in Tivoli I would estimate that 4-500 kroner should be enough.

Entrance is 95, a dinner depends on if its real food or just a burger or pizza but between 50 and 250 should do it.

Look here for food options.

http://www.tivoligardens.com/en/mad

2) A canal tour takes 1 hour andyou can walk to Nyhavn in 20-30 minutes or so or take the bus in 5-10 minutes.

3) expect temperatures in the 10-16 degress celcius range but it doesn´t have to be wet, most springs are fairly dry as I remember them.

Wonderful information DV thank you so very much. We will plan accordingly plus some extra for tipping.

Plan to dress as we would in our early spring so hope it is dry and we can go this time. The Garden appears to have so many options for dinner. I plan to graze as we go. I want to try some local foods and I see there are several shops I will be going to. Thanks for the link as well.

The canal tour will be great a little stroll then the tour and we should be at the hotel in plenty of time for the transfer.

Getting excited.

Danish Viking, we are going to take a trip over to Malmo for a few hours while we are in Copenhagen.

I've heard that they accept Danish Krone, do you know if that is right and do you think we would need to take our Australian passports with us.

Thanks.

Viking, I thank you for your input on this thread, you are a mine of information and a great advert for your lovely city.

I was trying to read through the thread and see if my questions have been answered - but I'm afraid I cannot manage 53 pages! :)

We will be revisiting Copenhagen in early January aboard Queen Victoria and think we might like to visit the Experimentarium. We don't have children, is there plenty for adults to do and see? My mobility is impaired and I also have problems sitting for long so, unfortunately, I am not able to do long trips out of town. Fortunately, I was mobile when we visited a few years ago so was able to enjoy a cycle tour of the city. I think it might be a little cooler in January!

Danish Viking, we are going to take a trip over to Malmo for a few hours while we are in Copenhagen.

I've heard that they accept Danish Krone, do you know if that is right and do you think we would need to take our Australian passports with us.

Thanks.

Bring your passport as the immigration crisis means that temporary border control will start from 4th of January.

What it actually means for the cross border train service is not clear yet but a checkpoint at the airport train station has been suggested.

Danish Viking:

We are planning to take the train from Hamburg to Copenhagen in August. Is it better to but train tickets in advance (for a cheaper rate) or once we arrive in Germany (a week before leaving for Copenhagen)?

Alan

Its cheaper to buy in advance and you can for a small fee make the ticket changeable.

Viking, I thank you for your input on this thread, you are a mine of information and a great advert for your lovely city.

I was trying to read through the thread and see if my questions have been answered - but I'm afraid I cannot manage 53 pages! :)

We will be revisiting Copenhagen in early January aboard Queen Victoria and think we might like to visit the Experimentarium. We don't have children, is there plenty for adults to do and see? My mobility is impaired and I also have problems sitting for long so, unfortunately, I am not able to do long trips out of town. Fortunately, I was mobile when we visited a few years ago so was able to enjoy a cycle tour of the city. I think it might be a little cooler in January!

Do notice that its under reconstruction so its only a temporary exibition (spelling -;)) that are located at Papirøen.

I have not been at the current place but the original was mostly for kids and i guess that its the same now.

Some adults (me included) will most likely enjoy the place and when my little brother was younger some 4-5 years ago i had an excuse to go. :D

I will most likely stop by when they are done rebuilding the old place but that is first in September next year.

Edited by Danish viking

We will be arriving into Copenhagen on our last day and the ship does not get in until 8:00 at night. We are hoping to be able to get a taxi to Tivoli and at least see the lights and have a dinner. Is it open past 9:00 in July? Are taxis easy to get at the port, and returning again from Tivoli? (We are not capable of long walks....)

Tivoli Gardens is open until 11pm or midnight.

Which port are you arriving at in Copenhagen? (There's more than one.) While you will be able to get a taxi at any of the ports--and back again from Tivoli--the ride from Oceankaj will be the longest at around 20 minutes.

We will be arriving into Copenhagen on our last day and the ship does not get in until 8:00 at night. We are hoping to be able to get a taxi to Tivoli and at least see the lights and have a dinner. Is it open past 9:00 in July? Are taxis easy to get at the port, and returning again from Tivoli? (We are not capable of long walks....)

I´m taking a leap of faith and guessing that you are on the Zuiderdam on Saturday the 16th of July.

If that is the case then Tivoli is open until midnight

Zuiderdam is docked at Oceankaj, depending on route its between 7,6 and 8,1 kilometers and 17 or 18 minutes in travelling time.

The taxi price will be around 160 kroner to Tivoli and 200 kroner the other way because its after 23:00 on a Saturday.

Thanks for your opinion re the Experimentarium. It is the kind of thing that hubby, in particular, might enjoy - but I'm not convinced it will be best use of our limited time. In fact, our walking ability and stamina are also limited so it is even more important for us to prioritise.

I was disappointed to find that we just miss the Tivoli being open - it seems that they are open up to Jan 3rd and we will be there on 5th! :(

The other time we visited Copenhagen we really enjoyed a bicycle tour with Mike's bikes but we are not able to do that kind of thing now.

My wife and I are arriving in Copenhagen on July 1 for a cruise on July4.We have looked at eh free walking tour. We are also looking for a Jewish tour for Jewish sites. Will those tours overlap. also is Scandic Copenhagen near everything. How far is Carlsbad Brewery

1. The Free Walking Tour of Copenhagen that we took was excellent. I highly recommend it. There was nothing on this tour about Jewish sites, so it should not overlap with any other such tour you take.

2. While we did not visit the Carlsburg Brewery, you can get there by taking a free bus from the Hotel Royal (one each hour) or by taking the #26 bus. You can find out how long the trip will take from where you are staying by using the Trip Planner feature on the Copenhagen transport page. Enter Kammasveg as the station for the Brewery--it's about a 3 minute walk from there. (It's about a 30 minute trip from Nyhavn.)

http://www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/query.exe/en

3. I recommend you get a copy of the Rick Steves Northern European Cruiseports guidebook from your local library or bookstore. It is chock-a-block of information on sightseeing in Copenhagen and its environs, including how to get to the Carlsburg Brewery and other places using public transportation.

Danish Viking -

When you return from vacation, hope you can give us your thoughts on this idea: We will be in Copenhagen for several days before a b2b on NCL Star leaving on May 1st. When we return back to Copenhagen on May 17, we plan to stay in a hotel near the airport as we fly out early on May 18. Do you think we would have enough time to disembark, take public transport to the airport, rent a car and drive to Mon for the afternoon? We know it would be a quick trip, but Mon looks like a place we would love to see.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Well, as a graduate of the University of Texas, I've just gotta help out anyone who's a "Longhornfan"!

While I'm sure you'll want some input from Danish Viking once he returns, I hope the following information will be helpful:

We took public transportation from Oceankaj to the Copenhagen airport. (There is more than one port area for cruise ships in Copenhagen, so you need to see where your ship docks.) The trip, using Bus 25, the special cruise day bus, to Norreport and then the M2 Metro to the airport took us less than an hour, including the time waiting for the bus. It was easy and cost us only 36 DKK.

We did self-debarkation so we were able to get off the ship as early as possible. We got on the first bus of the day, which was sometime between 8:00-8:30 am, and were at the airport within the hour. If you can manage to get an early start like this, you should have enough time for a day trip to Mon. Sunset will not be until 9pm, so you could have a good, long visit in Mon and still not be driving after dark on the return to Copenhagen!

Thank you so much, Danish Viking, for your help with our trip. Yes, Zuiderdam on July 16 is our arrival in Copenhagen. We do not yet have air transportation, so we do not know our arrival on the 4th or departure Tim. I have attempted to find a taxi/tour guide who would drive us to the ship with a detour of a couple of hours in the city, or the same on our return from the ship to the airport. Have you heard of this being done? (We arranged this in Rome and got a super introduction to the city.)

We surely appreciate your help in the hours and taxi availability going to Tivoli.

Hoping your Thailand visit was wonderful!

Well, as a graduate of the University of Texas, I've just gotta help out anyone who's a "Longhornfan"!

While I'm sure you'll want some input from Danish Viking once he returns, I hope the following information will be helpful:

We took public transportation from Oceankaj to the Copenhagen airport. (There is more than one port area for cruise ships in Copenhagen, so you need to see where your ship docks.) The trip, using Bus 25, the special cruise day bus, to Norreport and then the M2 Metro to the airport took us less than an hour, including the time waiting for the bus. It was easy and cost us only 36 DKK.

We did self-debarkation so we were able to get off the ship as early as possible. We got on the first bus of the day, which was sometime between 8:00-8:30 am, and were at the airport within the hour. If you can manage to get an early start like this, you should have enough time for a day trip to Mon. Sunset will not be until 9pm, so you could have a good, long visit in Mon and still not be driving after dark on the return to Copenhagen!

Thank you sooo much for the information - very helpful and just what we were looking for! One of our concerns was how long customs might take, but it sounds like it was not painful when you disembarked.

(By the way, when I saw your log-in, I wondered if you were from my alma mater, and I asked my husband and stepson who also just graduated from The University this month if they thought you were from our UT.)

Thanks again for helping out some fellow Longhorns - Hook 'em!

Hello, we will be in Copenhagen for 3 nights before our Sept 14 2016 cruise. The first night we are booked in the airport Hilton as we arrive a bit late, but for the next 2 nights we would like to be closer to the action. I typically book apartments for our stays in Europe, as I like the environment better than that of a chain hotel.

I have been looking at Airbnb, but wondered if there is a local service/site that is more useful for Copenhagen.

Thanks