Electronically challenged here - Help needed - How to use wifi in Caribbean

tbmrt

We usually shut off roaming and put phones in airplane mode while cruising and visiting ports.

I've noticed signs at various beach bars, etc. in the Caribbean advertising free wifi and would like to use this service.

How would I access these wifi spots without incurring phone charges from my carrier?

Thanks.

You will need to turn on the WiFi. WiFi is a separate setting from phone and data use. Think of it as hot and cold water, with two different faucet controls. You can have hot water (WiFi) without cold water (phone data), if you operate the faucets independently.

Then use the WiFi sources that pop up- the cafe, Starbucks, McDonalds, or whatever source.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It depends on your phone exactly where you would do this, but in general you can turn ON airplane mode (this kills all radios, no voice no wifi, no data, no bluetooth). Then you can go back in the turn on WiFi. All the other radios will still be off, no charges, but then you can still hook up to WiFi.

Best thing to do is test it BEFORE YOU TRAVEL. If you cant make a call or get data then you are good to go.

Then google VPN (Virtual Private Network) and ask that teenager how to set it up for yourself. This is a very important step in using an unsecured network.

Some VPN apps are more trouble than they are worth.

OP - get a data plan from you regular provider. NEVER trust free wifi in a cruise port (google the NBC news segment on cruise port wifi hacking.

Some VPN apps are more trouble than they are worth.

OP - get a data plan from you regular provider. NEVER trust free wifi in a cruise port (google the NBC news segment on cruise port wifi hacking.

or check out

http://www.xcomglobal.com

$14.95 a day, you've got unlimited data, secure network, the ability to make wifi calling.

Edited by klfrodo

As others have said, turn off data and turn on WiFi. Any WiFi signals present should pop up in a list. Many places with "free" WiFi may only provide the password once you are inside and buying something. At a few ports, I've been able to find free WiFi not requiring a password from my balcony but it is agonizing slow as everyone's tablets and phones automatically sniff it and log in.

I would never do anything important that requires my passwords on such "free" WiFi.

Edited by cruzincurt

I second the recommendation of a VPN. Many VPN apps are quite easy to use. My personal recommendation is Private Internet Access - with VPN servers in many locations, I've been able to use them almost everywhere. There are other good ones - google VPN and review and you should have some choices to look at.

One issue may occur is if you are using a POP3 system for your email. If so, you may have problems sending email if your ISP has blacklisted the VPN servers. Other than that, you are usually good to go within 10 minutes of starting your signup.