Princess coffee card question thanks.

portcbob

Each card is suppose to service one person.

This is the first time I've seen this statement. Why does it matter if you have 15 punches, who uses the punches? I can see that they might provide the free coffee and tea to only one person at a time, but my understanding has always been that anyone can use the punches and that 2 people sharing a cabin can share them.

This is totally different than the "unlimited" packages (whether soda or alcohol) that are definitely for one person only.

This is the first time I've seen this statement. Why does it matter if you have 15 punches' date=' who uses the punches? I can see that they might provide the free coffee and tea to only one person at a time, but my understanding has always been that anyone can use the punches and that 2 people sharing a cabin can share them.

This is totally different than the "unlimited" packages (whether soda or alcohol) that are definitely for one person only.[/quote']

I think what they meant when they said the card should service one person was referencing the free brewed and free tea not the drinks that require a punch.

This is the first time I've seen this statement. Why does it matter if you have 15 punches' date=' who uses the punches? I can see that they might provide the free coffee and tea to only one person at a time, but my understanding has always been that anyone can use the punches and that 2 people sharing a cabin can share them.

This is totally different than the "unlimited" packages (whether soda or alcohol) that are definitely for one person only.[/quote']

The punches are fine to share. The fresh-brewed coffee or tea is supposedto be for the cardholder only.

Yes, many people "cheat" and normally the server doesn't say anything. My wife and I use separate cards. I drink fresh-brewed using mine and she uses punches on hers (for both of us sometimes) or gets fresh-brewed on hers.

If one can afford to cruise I don't see the big deal with following the rules regarding the coffee card.

Edited by Thrak

I realize that for regular Princess cruisers, threads like this are boring and unnecessary. However, for those of us who have never cruised Princess (but have cruised other cruise lines) this is important stuff!!

I like my coffee so at the advice of cruise critic (and Princess) regulars, I purchased a coffee card. I honestly didn't realize that with the coffee card I get unlimited brewed coffee from the International Cafe. Can I assume that this brewed coffee is different than, say, the coffee available at the buffets or the coffee available 24/7 to the entire ship? I just thought the card had to be used for "any" coffee from the International Cafe, so this news about unlimited brewed coffee makes me happy (as long as its better than the general population coffee).

I realize that for regular Princess cruisers, threads like this are boring and unnecessary. However, for those of us who have never cruised Princess (but have cruised other cruise lines) this is important stuff!!

I like my coffee so at the advice of cruise critic (and Princess) regulars, I purchased a coffee card. I honestly didn't realize that with the coffee card I get unlimited brewed coffee from the International Cafe. Can I assume that this brewed coffee is different than, say, the coffee available at the buffets or the coffee available 24/7 to the entire ship? I just thought the card had to be used for "any" coffee from the International Cafe, so this news about unlimited brewed coffee makes me happy (as long as its better than the general population coffee).

The coffee at the International Cafe is fresh brewed from beans. The rest of the ship uses liquid concentrate. Whether or not the IC coffee is better can only be determined by the consumer. But it definitely is different.

The fresh brewed is so strong I require about a 25% dilution with hot water.

We normally share a card for punches. I am the only one who uses it for tea or hot chocolate. My husband does not drink fresh brewed, tea or hot chocolate. I love that you can use the card's punches on any cruise.

To the OP and other newbies- when you purchase a coffee card, the barista may write the name of the ship and the date of sailing on the back of the card. While you may use the punches for as long as they last, the "free" part will be available only for that specific sailing.

Also, I keep trying to "start a trend"... Whilst standing in line, if I am standing behind a person on their first Princess cruise and they are paying with their cruise card- I always give up a punch for them. It is my little "Welcome to Princess" moment.

We normally share a card for punches. I am the only one who uses it for tea or hot chocolate. My husband does not drink fresh brewed, tea or hot chocolate. I love that you can use the card's punches on any cruise.

To the OP and other newbies- when you purchase a coffee card, the barista may write the name of the ship and the date of sailing on the back of the card. While you may use the punches for as long as they last, the "free" part will be available only for that specific sailing.

Also, I keep trying to "start a trend"... Whilst standing in line, if I am standing behind a person on their first Princess cruise and they are paying with their cruise card- I always give up a punch for them. It is my little "Welcome to Princess" moment.

Hmmm... We just might need to adopt your policy and see how your "trend" might grow but I might limit it to the those with less than a Platinum card. Thanks for the idea. :)

Hmmm... We just might need to adopt your policy and see how your "trend" might grow but I might limit it to the those with less than a Platinum card. Thanks for the idea. :)

I limit mine to people paying with Blue cards... Typically this will evolve into a conversation about my coffee card.

It normally goes like this:

Me, upon spotting person with blue card: Is this your first Princess cruise?

BCN (Blue Card Newby): Why yes.

Me: Let me get your super-duper half caf, iced skinny latte with extra whipped cream and 5 pumps of hazelnut syrup.

BCN: Huh?

Me: <hands card to barista and says> I've got his/her coffee and I would like a non-fat iced latte.

Barista: <takes two punches>

BCN: Ummmm. Thanks?

Me: No problem- Welcome to Princess. Are you enjoying your cruise?

BCN: Yes. I am loving it! By the way, what is that card?

... And the rest is history!

That's very nice of you Tracie, it's great to see that you're helping new cruisers enjoy and learn. I bought the coffee card on our Regal cruise this past November and my wife and I both used up the punches for iced and hot tea which we loved.

The International Cafe staff was always wonderful to interact with and the coffee even looked amazing to someone like me who doesn't drink it. Plus the great sandwiches, salads and desserts make it one of our favourite spots. I'll be buying the card again for our upcoming Royal cruise.

We must still a gadzillion cards from the BOGO days and trading out the mini bar. Although I work at Starbucks, I do not drink coffee. You can be sure my wife makes up for it:D. When I join her for her morning latte (using the card) I am always asked if I would like something? I usually respond either "No thank you, or May I please have an Earl Gray tea?. Since the inception of the coffee card we have never had a punch taken for the tea. I have volunteered and still get "it is not necessary.":) Great customer service!

Since the inception of the coffee card we have never had a punch taken for the tea. I have volunteered and still get "it is not necessary.":) Great customer service!

That was my experience too! I would ask for a pot of Earl Grey and they didn't punch the card. When I said" Aren't you supposed to punch my card for that?" I was told "Don't worry about it or It's fine, next time". Really great staff and the tea was excellent. :)

Hi Traci, I have been doing this for a cpl years now. It's my way of making their cruise memorable .....I have about 3 full cards... I try to do something good or someone each day.. This gesture allows me to do this first thing in the morning :)

Edited by blkspy

The card holder can get all the tea and coffee they want with the card. The special coffee drinks, such as mochas, will cost a punch.

Each card is suppose to service one person.

You might have gotten that idea but nowhere do they say so.

The fresh brewed is so strong I require about a 25% dilution with hot water.

It is strong & I do the same thing in order to make it drinkable. If I make ice coffee then it's OK to just add ice.

Oh btw- the coffee in the buffet on the Regal & Royal is the same as the regular coffee at the IC so that's probably why they don't enforce having a card to get the regular stuff most of the time.

I have never heard of coffee made using liquid concentrate, but I am a fairly new cruiser. On our Mexican Riviera cruise on Ruby last year (our first cruise with Princess) we thought that the coffee in the Horizon buffet and in the MDR was quite good and didn't purchase the coffee card. How can we find out how is the coffee prepared on the Crown Princess? Perhaps we should just taste the coffee in the buffet, and decide if a coffee card is worth it. We actually prefer good straight coffee and the only specialty coffee we would possibly order would be cappuccino.

I have never heard of coffee made using liquid concentrate, but I am a fairly new cruiser. On our Mexican Riviera cruise on Ruby last year (our first cruise with Princess) we thought that the coffee in the Horizon buffet and in the MDR was quite good and didn't purchase the coffee card. How can we find out how is the coffee prepared on the Crown Princess? Perhaps we should just taste the coffee in the buffet, and decide if a coffee card is worth it. We actually prefer good straight coffee and the only specialty coffee we would possibly order would be cappuccino.

Coffee is pretty consistent across the fleet. It would be a good idea to do as you say and sample the stuff when you get on board and then decide.

You can also use the punches to get gelato at the Gelateria on Roya/Regal and International Cafe on other ships.

Not all ships have gelato available. At least I never found any on the Caribbean Princess. I did ask at their International Cafe and was told that they didn't "do that."

And not all ships have an International Cafe. There is a "Lobby Bar" on the Diamond. Does anyone know if they have gelato?