RIP Capt. James Russell-Dunford

mariner

The HAL master, whom I called Three Names, died last Saturday. He's survived by his wife, Lynn, and a son, Charles.

We had the pleasure to dine with him and his wife on MAASDAM many years ago.

He was always cheerful, available and loads of fun.

We shall miss him.

How sad a loss. We sailed with him on a Far East cruise on the Volendam. We will remember him and his family in our prayers.

I am ery sad to read this. He was a fine man and I hope he rests in peace. we sailed with him his first cruise as HAL Captain. and dined with him first formal Night that cruise.. H had a fine career. Last ship on whch we sailed with him I think was Ryndam.

Edited by sail7seas

I am shocked! What absolutely sad news. We had the pleasure of sailing with him twice. He was our Captain for the Voyage of the Vikings Cruise in 2012. And we sailed with him for 28 days just a year ago when we visited Myanmar, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia. He did a wonderful job of maneuvering the Volendam into a position where we had a wonderful solar eclipse experience. He retired after we returned to Singapore. He was a wonderful gentleman and an experienced Captain. I was surprised he was retiring, he must have been ill even then. So sad!

Very sad news. We were very fortunate to have sailed with him on the VoV in 2010 & 2012. In 2012 he took the time to autograph VoV T-shirts for any passengers who wish to purchase towards the end of the cruise. A class act. He will be missed.