Trip Report Avalon Felicity Romantic Rhine Basel - Amsterdam

YoungDubFan

The bread WAS dismal and boring on all of our Avalon cruises; we made up for that by visiting the local bakeries. :D Our last two Avalon cruises were very disappointing in terms of food quality, preparation and taste in the dining room.

That is when we tried AMA and we have never looked back. We find the food on AMA to be very good to excellent. For us, the food, wine and service are far superior.

Avalon must have read the complaints about the bread because in 2014 and 2013 the bread was purchased at the ports. Yum All sorts of European style breads. The cheese was awesome too. Both on the Seine and the Rhine.

On our AMA Rhine cruise, the kitchen staff included one person who only baked bread, one who only made pastries, and one who only made soups. These items were all top-notch (as was all the food). If you're cruising in France, buying bread and pastries on land might work out OK. In other parts of Europe, I think I'd rather have good on-board baking.

On our AMA Rhine cruise, the kitchen staff included one person who only baked bread, one who only made pastries, and one who only made soups. These items were all top-notch (as was all the food). If you're cruising in France, buying bread and pastries on land might work out OK. In other parts of Europe, I think I'd rather have good on-board baking.

I quite like the breads in Germany and Austria and my husband enjoys the cookies and pastries pretty much everywhere in Europe.:)

We had the same experience on our AMA cruises with dedicated kitchen staff. For me, the excellent and varied selection of baked on board breads was a perfect compliment to the artisanal cheeses offered at lunch and dinner (fabulous in France especially).

A three course meal for me can easily be wine, bread and cheese, as long as all are good quality.:D

Edited by caviargal

Carviargal

Have to agree with your three course meal

Good Wine, Cheese and bread is a regular meal, perhaps a little too often, add good friends and it gets even better.

We live in a good street in Auckland and have 7 or 8 neighbours that also enjoy the same, we have 4 o clock drinks every 3 or 4th Saturday with our usual 3 courses, some times goes on for a couple of hours sometime a lot longer .

Almost like happy hour

I am the OP of this review and I had no issues with any of the food on Avalon. As has been mentioned, breakfast and lunch were buffets. There was an omelet station for breakfast and plenty of choices including American and European fare (cold cuts, fresh tomatoes, wonderful fruit, many flavors of yogurt, pastries, etc.) Lunch always had at least 1 soup, plenty of things for salad, a carving station or something hot. There was also always an entree or sandwich that could be ordered off the menu. Many people didn't seem to realize this was an option. For dinner - there was always 1-2 soups, an appetizer, 3-4 entrees - always meat, fish, pasta & you could also always get 1 of the 3 always available - this was often a chicken breast, steak, salmon. Deserts were offered for lunch and dinner - usually some type of ice cream or sorbet, different pastries, and as has been mentioned a cheese plate - I had some of the best cheese on this cruise.

Wine was free flowing at dinner. I never had an empty glass. Liquor could be purchased in the bar - there was a happy hour every day with 2-for-1 pricing. Also had a drink special every day that was even cheaper. If you don't like a wine but liked one from the night before, ask your server and they may still have it available.

Hi YoungDubFan, I just read your reveiw and it was wonderful for me as I am taking this tour with Vantage in June. We're going Amsterdam to Basel and I can't WAIT to visit the Lindt chocolate shop in Cologne! We were there once before and missed it. Also been to Amsterdam 3 times and THIS time I'm going to the Rijks!!! I do remember in Cologne there was a street vendor selling berliners on the steps leading from the dock to the Cathedral and they were the most amazing cream filled donuts I have ever tasted....hope he/she is still there! Thanks again for a wonderfully informative review! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Thank you again for this incredible review! It really was one of the key things helping us plan our trip! So helpful with all the times and details!!

I believe you mentioned you had the daily newsletters and other paperwork...would you mind sharing with me? :D birchbarkgrandmarais @ gmail.com

• 9 months later...

Hi Youngdubfan!!:)

What an awesome review you wrote about your Avalon Rhine River cruise.. so detailed.. so interesting.

We are going on the same cruise in 2 weeks on the Imagery II and your review was extremely helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.. reading your posts (even though there were from 4 years ago) makes me even more excited to go.

Thanks again!:)

What an awesome review you wrote about your Avalon Rhine River cruise.. so detailed.. so interesting.

We are going on the same cruise in 2 weeks on the Imagery II and your review was extremely helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.. reading your posts (even though there were from 4 years ago) makes me even more excited to go.

Sleep7, you're going to love it! My bride and I did this cruise in Spring of 2014. We did it in reverse, starting in Amsterdam. Had a fantastic time, so much so that we went again the next year, doing the Avalon cruise from Vienna to Amsterdam (Danube, Main, and Rhine rivers. This river cruising is the best holiday ever and Avalon is tops in the business. When we went last fall, the rivers were very low, especially the Danube. Viking ships, among others, were getting stranded in the rivers and having to bus their passengers from one ship to another. Meanwhile, the Avalon ships just cruised on through due to being a new fleet with a shallower draft.

We are already considering another one for next year, probably the "Grand France."

Have a great time!

Yay!! LOVE hearing positive things Kenster!

Super excited about our cruise on Avalon.

We have been on many ocean cruises in Europe but this is our first river cruise.

Thanks for chiming in!:):):)

We are on the Avalon Visionary now sailing from Amsterdam to Basel. On our way to Cologne at the moment. Have enjoyed every minute despite the intermittent rain and cold. Avalon is taking very good care of us. Only 84 passengers on this sailing.

Looking way ahead--Christmas version of this itinerary, also on Imagery II in December 2017--our first river cruise and our 50th anniversary. Eager to hear your report!

Happy Anniversary in advance MllD3536! :p What a great way to celebrate.

I plan to take pix of everything and post a complete trip report when we return.

I did that on an Azamara cruise a few years ago and it was such a fun way to relive the cruise once it's over.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116776

By the fourth post I figured out how to post the pictures the right size.:rolleyes:

Happy Anniversary in advance MllD3536! :p What a great way to celebrate.

I plan to take pix of everything and post a complete trip report when we return.

I did that on an Azamara cruise a few years ago and it was such a fun way to relive the cruise once it's over.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116776

By the fourth post I figured out how to post the pictures the right size.:rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your reply, Sleep7! I just checked your account of your Azamara cruise. So interesting to me, as I have never cruised before at all! But for the past five years, I have used http://www.travelpod.com to blog about my travels. It is very user friendly--which I need! It creates little maps for you and is really helpful for posting pictures. As you are getting ready to leave, you have more to do than checking out my blogs, but if you want to see how travelpod works, my page is http://www.travelpod.com/members/maryandmarty (I hope it will display better when I post this!)

Anyway, thank you again. And have a wonderful trip!

Hi Mary/Marty!:)

Wow.. what fantastic blog you keep! I have never heard of that site before. Must be a great way for family and friends to keep up with your many travels. Thanks for showing me that site.

Also.. can't believe you are married almost 50 years.. you both look very young!:)

Hi Mary/Marty!:)

Wow.. what fantastic blog you keep! I have never heard of that site before. Must be a great way for family and friends to keep up with your many travels. Thanks for showing me that site.

Also.. can't believe you are married almost 50 years.. you both look very young!:)

Well, that picture was taken five years and about 20 lb. ago!:o But thank you for your kind words. I know I commented before on your account of the Azzamara cruise. But I just went back and looked at it when I had more time to appreciate it. You are a pretty fantastic blogger yourself! I was never any good back in Olden Times keeping a travel journal. Somehow the blog works better for me. It is also crucial because if I don't do it, I forget far too much!

If I remember correctly, you are leaving in just a few days for the Avalon cruise on Imagery II. I am really excited to read your report. Bon Voyage to you and your hubby!

Mary

Hi Mary!

Thank you for the Azamara blog compliments. It was just so much fun to write. I still wear the bracelet every day. It's the kind that is attached by screws and it doesn't come off unless you unscrew it which is a bother.

Your plus 20 lbs is because you are enjoying the good life! Consider it a badge of honor.:):):)

Yes.. we are actually leaving a week from today on our nonstop from JFK to Zurich and then right on the ship. I actually found out that we spend most of the day in Zurich and they don't transfer us until late in the afternoon. I emailed the Movenpick hotel, where the group is meeting, and they have very reasonable 2 hour rates and day rates. I am definitely going to book a room for at least 2 hours.. Need a shower to get rid of the overnight flight grime.:p

Counting the days.. very excited!