Crystal River Cruises vs. Scenic Cruises

Bodogbodog

It is very surprising to me that Crystal charges for specialty dining.

The article implies that Scenic's wine choices are not extensive and they are. We had a choice every night of at least 6-7 red wines with dinner and even more on the bar menus. We don't drink white so I did not notice those but expect that to be the same.

Quite surprising that Crystal limits internet to 60 minutes per day, when they are a luxury line.

This was an interesting article and my take away is that, especially at this price point, Crystal has chosen to nickel and dime passengers. That takes them off my list for sure.

The article implies that Scenic's wine choices are not extensive and they are. We had a choice every night of at least 6-7 red wines with dinner and even more on the bar menus.

I guess it is a matter of perspective, the Scenic list sounds only a little more limited than the Viking lists we had in China and Cambodia, but not what a committed wine drinker would consider extensive.

6-7 reds wouldn't barely cover the Spanish reds on an extensive list and might just about cover a single region in France.

All a matter of perspective I guess.

I don't have problems with the size of list you describe as I can normally find something drinkable, but it can get a bit boring if that is all there is at dinner for 10 days or more so I can appreciate why a longer list might be mentioned for Crystal.

It is very surprising to me that Crystal charges for specialty dining.

The only extra fee dining area is the Vintage Room, a private wine room where you can do a tasting menu/wine dinner arranged privately. Waterside, Blue, Bistro and room service are always free.

I agree with you about charging for Internet access. It has always seemed ridiculous to me that luxury hotels and cruise ships charge for Internet access when cheap motels give it away for free. I rarely use it when on vacation and would certainly never be online for more than an hour on a day of vacation, but it still should be free. If you want to encourage people to unplug, then don't offer it at all.

An interesting comparison, although a bit difficult when Crystal have only one boat at the moment. Scenic, at least in the UK require £750 per person deposit for their river cruises.

Their wine list is extensive and changes with the area they are cruising in leaning heavily towards regional especially in France. I can't remember which cruise it was but there was a exceptional Spanish Rioja both white and red, a pleasant surprise. It will be interesting to see more reviews as Crystal get more established on the European rivers. CA

Good Afternoon One and All,

First very well put Canal as how can you make any sort of a comparison of one ship to a fleet of ships.

Yes they do seem to have a lot going for them and myself I like the idea of the retractable bar on The Sun Deck. Great idea and having the TV's built into the mirror's in the bathrooms.

Yes must admit that I am a Scenic cruiser and shall be cruising on the newly redesigned Sapphire in one of the Brand new cabin categories that has been added to Scenic on some of their ships that are sailing in France called The Royal owners Suites.

All I can say at present is that we shall see.

Sailing September 24,2017

Spectacular South Of France ( Wine Country ) with Paris and Monte Carlo

Sailing October 18,2018 Cuba in Depth on The Brand new Eclipse.

Wishing Crystal The very best.

LoneStarCruisinCouple

I agree with you about charging for Internet access. It has always seemed ridiculous to me that luxury hotels and cruise ships charge for Internet access when cheap motels give it away for free.

Actually, there has traditionally been good logic behind the decision. Most upscale to luxury hotels have price-insensitive clientele, either because they are on the company dime or they have plenty of dimes in their own pocket. OTOH, the mass-market hotels have a much more price-conscious clientele.

Look at the clientele at a W, Park Hyatt or similar hotel. Most are there for business trips or conferences and just write off the internet on the expense account.

You can find the same thing when it comes to breakfasts. Within the Marriott brand, breakfast comes included at Townplace, Fairfield, Springhill and Residence Inn, but when you move up to Courtyard and above - no meal in the morning.

The biggest issue with "free" internet at sea is that many people don't put a value on something given for "free" - and just hog it. So when you have a finite quantity to distribute, market constraints go out the window. Internet pipes get clogged with more and more traffic over a fixed satellite bandwidth and then no one is getting value from their "free" connection.

The biggest issue with "free" internet at sea is that many people don't put a value on something given for "free" - and just hog it. So when you have a finite quantity to distribute, market constraints go out the window. Internet pipes get clogged with more and more traffic over a fixed satellite bandwidth and then no one is getting value from their "free" connection.

I have to stay connected for work and rely on a decent internet connection. All lines I have sailed with (Scenic, AMA, Avalon, Uniworld) included internet and did not restrict it to a fixed amount of time each day.

The main challenge is not usage, IMO and IME, it is the quality of the signal due to location on the river. Most people on river cruises are not on the internet except to send an email or read the local news. That being said, I have met quite a few business owners who need to stay connected as I do and for whom internet is important.

Scenic had excellent internet service and it was surprisingly consistent. The worst was Uniworld, who blocked so many ports it was impossible to consistently get email out. I had to find local hotspots to get my work done. That was time totally wasted, whereas I normally get my work done in the wee hours of the morning, before the activities of the day begin.

< If you want to encourage people to unplug, then don't offer it at all. >

That would certainly be a deal breaker for me. I don't need a cruise line to decide when I need to unplug and would not travel where internet is not available. YMMV.

I think Scenic learnt a few years ago, on one of our early cruises it was very patchy getting on line, they soon worked out that the problem was so many cruisers using Skype. Since then internet connection has got better & better. Okay technology has vastly improved over time so even if you have to work you are usually fine. CA

I have to stay connected for work and rely on a decent internet connection. All lines I have sailed with (Scenic, AMA, Avalon, Uniworld) included internet and did not restrict it to a fixed amount of time each day.

The main challenge is not usage, IMO and IME, it is the quality of the signal due to location on the river. Most people on river cruises are not on the internet except to send an email or read the local news. That being said, I have met quite a few business owners who need to stay connected as I do and for whom internet is important.

I as recently on AMA and found their internet about Motel 6 quality (as of about 15 years ago, last time I stayed in one). I mostly relied on my T-mo free int'l data, which was better even at 2G.

Great comparison! I'd love to see Crystal v Tauck. Tauck was the leading contender for our first river cruise next year until Crystal got into the game. Now we're booked on Crystal Mahler but do wonder if we made the right choice.

I also would like to see a comparison with Tauck. Having done one river cruise on Tauck and booked on another, I would be interested in seeing the difference. Tauck was a wonderful experience and certainly very upscale. When booking our second river cruise we would not even consider another company.

Terri

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently on the Scenic Jade (Budapest to Amsterdam) and, for the most part, have had great internet reception. The only time we've had it cut out is when we are going thru locks.....all 68 sets of them, haha. Most times we get thru the locks quickly and the internet (and tv) come right back up. I've had about the same experience with my phone. In some areas, the 4G drops down to a 3G (or even 2G) depending what is available in the area, but I only seem to lose the signal completely when deep into a set of locks.

This is our first river cruise, so I have no basis for comparison but I have to say I've been very pleasantly surprised

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to share an update/correction. I am currently aboard the Crystal Mozart and the wifi is free and unlimited

Thanks for this update - so is their website wrong? (now there's a surprise!) - or maybe you are in the Crystal Suite and entitled to unlimited wifi? - or has the policy actually changed - or is it maybe a special while Edie is onboard?

It would be interesting to get clarification of which it is

Free Internet/Wi-Fi Service

Two-Bedroom Crystal Suite guests will enjoy unlimited, complimentary Wi-Fi/Internet access.*Penthouse with French Balcony (PH) guests will enjoy up to 90 minutes per person, per day of complimentary access.* All other suite guests (will enjoy up to 60 minutes, per person, per day (i.e., 7-day voyage = 420 minutes per guest or 840 minutes per double occupancy suite) of complimentary access. Additional minutes, over the total per guest, per day allotment, are available for purchase at current Crystal® rates

Source: http://www.crystalcruises.com/home/river/river-guidebook/shipboard-life/business-services-communications